Reload this Page >

Where is best place to stay in Figi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:15 AM
April

We are thinking about a trip in April to Figi during spring break with 9 year old daughter. We want a pretty beach, decent accomadations but not 5 star, Mostly we want to be close to good snorkeling. Any advice on a good place to stay would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows a good company with package deals please let me know, Thanks a bunch!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Mary

Hi, <BR>With a nine year old, I'd be looking at somewhere in the Mamanucas with a mid-sized resort like Casatway. The further offshore (from Viti Levu) you go the better snorkelling you get. If you go during Australian or NZ school holidays there'll often be extra things arranged for children. Also some of the resorts only take children during these school holidays (like Matamanoa).

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:06 AM
Diane

Hi April <BR>Last November I took my 10 year old daughter to Fiji and she loved every minute of it. If you can swing it the Blue Lagoon Cruise is a wonderful experience for everyone but something my daughter talks about all the time. We made wonderful friends from all over the world, the crew were amazing, and so was the snorkelling. We then stayed on the Coral Coast at Crusoe's Retreat and that was a great spot though the Coral Coast is not known for great beaches. We still had a fantastic time. From there we went to the Sonaisali near Nadi, and it was a dark sand beach, but had good facilities and a lovely swimming pool. Day excursions, snorkelling trips, horseback riding, and island hopping was available at the Sonaisal. If I were to go back, which I dream of daily, I would hope to stay somewhere like Tokoriki or Castaway. Tokoriki is more adult oriented with certain weeks where children are welcome. At Crusoe's we backed onto a Fijian village and spent a lot of time there learning the culture and making friends. I wouldn't rate any of our accommodation 5 star....that's not us either. Our trip was very reasonable $4000.00 Canadian for the two of us including everything, even food, and that was for 16 nights. The wholesaler our travel agent worked with was Goway Travel. Don't know if that helps at all. <BR>Diane

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 11:17 AM
melissa

April, <BR>I would suggest Castaway,Tokoriki, Vomo or Malolo Island Resorts. Fiji will be exiting the rainy season in March so the Mamanuca/Yasawa side of Fiji is typically dryer.Tokoriki is having a childrens week in April. Each resort has its strong points and very few drawbacks. The best thing I can say about Fiji is...I travelled there as a child with my parents a couple times per year growing up and the impact the cultural richness and love for life taught me more than ANY book could have. Literally, it shaped who I am as an adult. I would encourage you to do this for your children...not to mention kids love warm water and tons of cool fish to see!Enjoy

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 08:10 AM
sarah

Malolo is the place. They love kids, the resort if terrific (not TOO nice) and you will love the people.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Fred

April,<BR><BR>My wife and I stayed at the Hideaway. We really liked it and the area but next time we will try off the main island. There is no beach or decent snorkeling to speak of at the Hideaway on the Coral Coast. We heard that the Mamanucas were nice esp Matamonoa Island. For Snorkeling follow the other posters advice.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>fred

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 11:35 PM
cherie

Hello there<BR><BR>My choice for you would be either Malolo or Cataway island...<BR>Tokoriki is my personal favourite but for a nine year old maybe not enough to do.<BR>Hideaway on the coral coast is really nice and has a wonderful atmosphere but not a great beach and very tidal.