Where in Western Australia?

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Kathy

Where in Western Australia?

Hello, Who can advise where might be the best <BR>place in Western Australia to have as a base for exploring WA? I hope to go there in February, 2002 for 10 weeks. I'd like to rent an apartment or condo and explore WA at a leisurely pace.. what city or area would be ideal? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 08:59 PM
ausmaps

Hi Kathy, <BR>Perth, the capital is a good place to launch your trip. Western Australia is so large that it isn't going to be practical to commute back and forth to a base. It can take days or weeks to reach a destination by car, depending on how far you plan to roam. If you want to see the state, you will need to stay in different accommodations along the way. <BR> <BR>For Australian Travel Maps <BR>Visit: http://www.ausmaps.com

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 08:16 PM
Kathy

Hello, Thanks for advice......how would it be: 2-3 weeks in Perth (with side trips from), 2-4 weeks in the SW, say at Busselton (with side trips from), and 2-3 weeks in the North, say at Broome (with side trips from)?? Would appreciate advice from any WA residents or previous visitors.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 01:16 AM
Jenelle

Your schedule sounds great. Perth is a great relaxed city with magnificent beaches. The South West is very beautiful - don't miss Albany (rugged coastline),Pemberton and Walpole (for forest and massive Jarrah trees and the short train trip in Pemberton is superb. If you can get to Esperance it is worth the trip for the beauty of the coastline and small islands you can go to by boat - you'll see dolphins, seals and possibly whales on the way to the islands in the Archipelago. <BR> <BR>Although I lived in Western Australia for 8 years, I haven't been to Broome yet, but I hear its terrific (and very hot!) If you fancy meeting and touching wild dolphins don't miss going to Monkey Mia near Kalbarri north of Perth. <BR> <BR>PS You can easily drive around the South West from Perth but you will probably need to fly to Broome since it is a very long way. Hope this helps.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 10:46 AM
kathy

Jenelle, Thanks so much for your comments and advice!

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 08:51 AM
jill

Kathy, it will be very hot in Perth in February and perfect for going south. Esperance has a beautiful pristine coastline and National Parks, Albany great, Denmark - don't miss swimming at William Bay and do the Tree Top Walk among the huge tinglewood trees unique in the world. The south west corner has wineries, fantastic surf, wonderful restaurants, galleries, whale watching, scenery. Use Margaret River as a base.<BR>Head north in late March. Exmouth, Ningaloo Reef and Coral Bay are pristine and stunning.Fabulous fishing, snorkelling. Swim with the whale sharks at Exmouth. Coral abounds just off the shore - Jacques Costeau reckoned it was better than the Barrier Reef.<BR>Go inland to Mount Augustus. Bigger than Ayres Rock and quite spectacular and very remote though. <BR>Karajini National Park has spectacular gorges and scenery. Even the iron ore mines are worth a visit. They are immense and the ore is transported hundreds of kilometres by huge ore trains to the coast.You will need a good vehicle and spare tyres if you go off the bitumen but it will be worth it.<BR>Broome is a long way north but worth it when you get there. Homestay at sheep stations on the way. The WA Tourist Bureau has lots of info on accomodation and roads.<BR>Western Australia is a big secret.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Kathy

Jill....Thanks for all the great information, it's all beginning to fall into place..the timing, the where, the what to see and do.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 02:06 PM
Jane

This is all excellent advice,