Reload this Page >

When to travel to Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 01:13 PM
Irene

My husband and I are planning a trip to Australia in 2000. It will be our first time and we'd like to know when the best time of the year would be. We'd like to see a lot of the country. Any suggestions? We'd rather go when it's warmer, but would like to avoid the busiest time.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 01:47 PM
David

Irene, <BR>Can you answer a few questions for me and then I will be more than happy to give you my suggestions. <BR>About how long are you planning to spend in our country? If your time is limited (one month or less) what areas to you absolutely not want to miss? lastly, do you want to see the Olympics in Sydney (September) or avoid them all together? <BR>Because Australia is so large the temperature varies considerably. Now, for instance is mid winter so our southern states have maximums of say 12 degrees c in Tasmania, 15 in Victoria, I am in Brisbane and its about 20 here, but Nth Queensland and Darwin and the like still get temps of 30 degrees. The northern part of our country has two seasons the wet (Oct to March) and the dry (Apr to Oct, so the best time to visit really depends on how long you've got, and if you can't see it all, what parts you really don't want to miss. <BR>Hope to hear from you. <BR>Regards <BR>David

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 01:47 PM
David

Irene, <BR>Can you answer a few questions for me and then I will be more than happy to give you my suggestions. <BR>About how long are you planning to spend in our country? If your time is limited (one month or less) what areas to you absolutely not want to miss? lastly, do you want to see the Olympics in Sydney (September) or avoid them all together? <BR>Because Australia is so large the temperature varies considerably. Now, for instance is mid winter so our southern states have maximums of say 12 degrees c in Tasmania, 15 in Victoria, I am in Brisbane and its about 20 here, but Nth Queensland and Darwin and the like still get temps of 30 degrees. The northern part of our country has two seasons the wet (Oct to March) and the dry (Apr to Oct, so the best time to visit really depends on how long you've got, and if you can't see it all, what parts you really don't want to miss. <BR>Hope to hear from you. <BR>Regards <BR>David

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 09:22 PM
Irene

Hi David, <BR>Thanks so much for your response. We'd like to see the Great Barrier Reef, The Outback, Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Queensland, etc. (I'm still learning, so maybe I'm getting some of this wrong). That is our wish list, and we are willing to do domestic flights, etc. We only have 2-3 weeks (traveling from East coast U.S.) and are not interested in the Olympics. I'm still reading about the area, and I'm open to different suggestions as well. Thanks so much for any information

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 12:25 AM
David

OK Irene, <BR>You are wanting to see alot in 2/3 weeks but I accept that is your wish list. The sites you have mentioned are pretty diverse in Australia so if you want to get the warmer weather and avoid the olympics I would suggest you come here in your Spring (our autumn). That way the weather will be warm and you will miss the olympics that are in our Spring. <BR>If you came in Late March/ early April this is a rough type of itinery. I am sure when you start to look at the distances involved and the cost of domestic flights etc etc you may decide to leave some places out. Let me know and I will help you more at that stage if I can. <BR>Ok...here goes....go south first..Melbourne is beautifull in April and the weather is still reasonable, then to Sydney, I would miss Brisbane (and I live there at the moment) and head to nth Qld from Sydney...do the barrier reef thing and then the outback. Alice Springs, Kakadu etc etc. <BR> <BR>Now when you have a look at a map and some brochers you will see thats a mighty long way in 2/3 weeks....in fact, you may find with an itinery like that that you tend to gloss over places, not have enough time here, maybe a little too much there etc etc....so like I said, keep narrowing it down or extend your time (if you can!!!). <BR>Let me know after that and I can make some specific suggestions for you in various places. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>David

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 10:06 AM
Irene

Hi again, David! I'm in the process of reviewing brochures and info. There is SO much information! Once I narrow it down, I'll write again, if you don't mind. But I was just wondering if you could give me the top 3 "must see" destinations if you had to pick them yourself. Thanks again

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 10:06 PM
Leanne

Hi Irene, I just got back from travelling around Australia for the last 6 months. I left in January and came home to Canada in July. I started in Sydney, (o.k.) but stayed in a place about 10 min bus ride outside of the city called Coogee Beach. It was amazing. Another place you might want to go is Bondi Beach. I did'nt go, but heard it was beautiful also. I then travelled north to Byron Bay which was excellent! I actually looked into buying a house and property there! From there I went to Brisbane. I hated it. There is nothing for travellers to do there or anything really exciting to see. Most go there to party for a few days and leave. My next stop was in a little town outback called Ilfracombe - skip it! Next was Fraser Island! That was one of the best parts of my trip! You can take a day tour or a 3 day tour and stay in a beautiful resort and explore the islands awesome rainforests, deserted ship, and the mountains of sand to fresh water lakes! If staying in a resort does'nt appeal to you there is also the option of renting your own 4 wheel drive and camping along the many miles of beautiful deserted beach! Next was Airlie Beach, mostly people go there to sail the Whitsunday Islands. I heard it was amazing, but did'nt get to go myself because it was too expensive and I ran out of money! Next was Townsville, not a very touresty town, but it was one of my favorite places! Your next stop would probably be Cairns. On the west coast there is'nt really much to see. In the northwest there is a small sleepy little town called Broome. A definate must see. Not much to do but lay on Cable Beach and suntan! (Named one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world). It is almost always hot there! On the way to Perth a good place to stop is Monkey Mia. All you need is a few hours to feed the dolphins and pet them! A very unique experience! Then there is Perth! Loads of things to do and heaps of fun! I left to come home from Perth and did'nt go to Melbourne, Adalaide or Tazmania because I was told by many travellers in hostels that it was'nt worth it. My best sugestion to you and your husband is to buy the Lonely Planet book on Australia. It is known as the "Bible" among travellers. It tells you everything you will ever need to know. That is pretty much all the info I have for you, if you have any more questions, write to me and just ask! <BR>Also, don't forget to snorkel and/or dive the Great Barrier Reef! It's amazing! <BR>Have a great time! <BR>Leanne

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 06:44 PM
Irene

Hi Leanne, <BR>Wow, what a great, detailed post. Thank you so much! Your insights were extremely helpful in navigating such an extensive area. I'll have to process what you've said and try to narrow it down as I only have two weeks. Thanks for taking the time.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 07:42 PM
Wendy

Hi Irene <BR> <BR>Two weeks is such a short time to spend here in Australia, but I'm sure you'll get to see many fabulous things in that time. I'm a little biased, I live in Sydney and would think that should definitely be one of your stops! I don't know how much travelling you want to do, but a week here would go so quickly. There is so much to do: investigating the city (including Darling Harbour & China Town), the beaches, the mountains... <BR> <BR>I also agree with a recommendation made above that you visit North Queensland, the Great Barrier Reef would be a highlight! <BR> <BR>If I be of any more help, let me know, <BR>Wendy

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 08:44 AM
Steven Hamberg

<BR>Irene: <BR> <BR>I have only been once-but what you hear is true there is no bad time to go. I will tell you about our experience. <BR> <BR>We went in late May-June for 3 weeks and it was perfect. We started off in Sydney and the weather was perfect-70s and sunny. We were going to North Queensland later so we werent about missing the beaches in the south. We then went to Ayers Rock (always hot during the day, and buy a flea net if you go) for 2 nights. Next we went to Darwin/Kakadu. It was a great time to be there. It was the start of the dry season so all the streams/falls were still running at a good pace. More importantly, our guide said at the campsite which had only two groups, would be packed full in another month. Now you can enjoy Kakadu in the wet also, but this was great. We then went to Pt. Douglas which was a great base. The weather was great. Plus if you go in their summmer you have box jellyfish on the beaches, though not on the reef. So it really does depend on what you want to do but for what its worth that was our experience.