Reload this Page >

What to do in Port Douglas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 03:52 PM
Amy

I am going to Australia in February for my honeymoon. We will be in Port Douglas for three days and then stay a night in Cairns so that we can be on the 6am flight to get to Hayman Island. What is the town like? WE will be in Kurunda when we are in Cairns(is the airail scary?) We will probably want to relax a little but mostly we like to be active-hike, nature walks, outdoors stuff. I read abut a safari cruise. Any suggestions??? Please help, we don't want to miss out on anything.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:06 PM
Louise

Not to worry - you will have the most wonderful time in Port Douglas. In fact, you will probably never want to leave. There is plenty to do - check out www.oztravel.com.au. You can safely make any arrangements once you get there each day as you might want to see what the weather is like daily.

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 02:02 AM
nicole

Port Douglas is beautiful.We took the skyrail up the Daintree rainforest and then the train back. If you scuba dive...we had a good experience with Haba Dive. We also snorkeled off the Sailaway and had a great time. There is plenty to do and you'll love it!

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Dick

The skyrail is not at all scary...more like a slow moving gondola car...make sure you get off half way up and take the short nature tour with the ranger. <BR>Also, you may want to consider taking the old train back from Kuranda. <BR> <BR>My wife and I wer in Port douglas this past November and loved it,,,a great little town..if you are there over a Sunday..see the crafts market in the center of town( great homemade macadamia ice cream) <BR> <BR>If you are into nature..you should really get into the rain forest....you can drive past mossman gorge to cape tribulation...and really get a feel for the rain forest. <BR> <BR>Write me if I can be of further help.

Old Aug 8th, 1999, 01:21 AM
rob

Make sure you see the Mossman Gorge National Park...this place has the most amazing rain forest experience, take your bathers (swimsuit)for swimming in the Mossman River and the many rock pools under waterfalls. <BR> <BR>Also take a drive up to the Daintree river, and go for a boat trip to see the crocs.

Old Aug 18th, 1999, 06:26 PM
Peg

Amy, Port Douglas is one of our favourite holiday places, and everything that the previous posts have indicated, but check out what the weather is expected to be in February. This is the rainy season and you may find you have to spend all of your time inside. Seeing this is your honeymoon maybe this is not all that bad. Peg.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 01:07 PM
Brooke

Amy -- My husband and I just returned from Port Douglas. We had a great time. I snorkeled and my husband did scuba at the outer reef with Quicksilver. It was a nice day. The town was small but there were some nice retaurants and shops out towards the Mirage Marina. The locals were quite friendly. Also we did the Skyrail at Kuranda. There was a lady in our gondola who was afraid of heights and we just talked to her and she was surprised when we got to the bottom. The ride was very smooth. We did the train on the way up. I recommend doing one way each. If you ride the train sit on the right side of the train for the best views.