Search

What's not to be missed in Perth and then heading South

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's not to be missed in Perth and then heading South

Hi

We're in Australia for a couple of months (November and December) - starting off with Perth and then heading down South and across to Brisbane. Travelling in a motorhome with two young children (3 and 1 years). Any advice/recommends on what we really must see and do very much appreciated - kicking off with Perth and then south west Australia.

Many thanks
Nina
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I guess I am still mentally trapped back in the days when this journey -- clear across Australia, most of which is desert (the Nullarbor plain, which, if you know your Latin, means "no tree&quot -- was considered pretty brave. Nowadays it's probably undertaken by every backpacker, but, nonetheless, I can't help advising you to do some research before you undertake this trip with children as young as that, Make sure, for instance, that you are WELL equipped with water and extra gasoline, and some basic extras such as a fan belt and two spare wheels. I hope, in November, that your motorhome is air-conditioned!

The Great Ocean Road, between Adelaide and Melbourne, is considere a must-see (even though, the one time I travelled along it, nobody told me it was "great" until after I had finished, and to my eyes it appeared just ordinary-pleasant); also, the Barossa Valley, between Adelaide and Sydney, is Australia's best (and most picturesque) wine-growing area. I would recommend a visit to Canberra, which is most-easily-accessed by staying inland after Melbourne, but my guess is that, having traversed the Nullarbor, you will have had enough of the inland heat and flies, and you will choose -- very wisely -- to hug the coast, especially as hot November turns into very-hot December; the coast road between Melbourne and Sydney turns pretty almost as soon as you get into New South Wales, and you casn take a detour at Bateman's Bay which will have you in Canberra in a couple of hours.

While in Western Australia, Albany is a particularly pleasant coastal town, and many tourists also like the Margaret River area.

Good luck with your planning! But.... please get onto the NRMA website and check their section on inland driving tips, as the Kalgoorlie-Adelaide stretch of road is no picnic at any time of the year, especially in summer! Or am I being an old worrier.... what do other local posters think?
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 11:54 PM

I'm with you, Alan. I wouldn't be contemplating hauling a couple of littlies across the Nullabor in high summer (and I'm a "bushie&quot. Maybe because I'm a "bushie".

Bertie, what about taking the motorhome around Perth, down south and then flying to Brisbane & pick up another one there for your Qld wanderings?

Like Alan, I may be a little on the cautious side, but we have tragedies with people perishing across the "Centre" every year. Even if you are very familiar with the roads, break-downs do occur and if so, you won't have air-conditioning. It could be quite some time (a day or more) before anyone comes along. And it can be 50+ degrees C.

I'm not trying to frighten you and I'm sure lots of people will have done the trip without any problems at all. But, I wouldn't at that time of year and especially not with toddlers.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 04:51 AM

I find myself wondering what people did before a/c was invented. Has the human body been redesigned since then?

I suspect the OP has done the research; knows the distances involved; and is aware of the temperatures and the outside chance of a drama - and will hit the road properly prepared. If not, then they now have some essential tips.

My hat's off to them. And, is it really accurate to say they are journeying across the "Centre"? They are headed down south and across to Brisbane - I assume across the Nullabor. Not a road I've travelled - but it is a main road isn't it? Surfaced and with a steady flow of trucks hauling goods between SA and WA and vice versa?

Great places to go in the SW corner? - well, Rottnest Island is a must. It's only a short trip from Fremantle. There are some amazing caves (lit and with a guide) south of Margaret River. There's a canopy level walkway somewhere near Pemberton (BIG TREES!). And gorgeous beaches - to look at, mind you, not to swim.

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 12:46 AM

There is the Tree Top Walk - a canopy level (and also ground level) walkway in the Tingle Forest between Walpole and Denmark. Its one of the major drawcards on the south coast and has won international tourist awards. Tingles are remnant trees left over from when Australia was joined to the Antartic and they are only found in a very small area around the walkway. Its all national park. Allow about 1 hour for the stop there. There's also beautiful beaches in the area. As you are coming before the school holidays it will still be fairly quiet. Denmark is a lovely town and Albany is only a further half hour east.

As for crossing the Nullarbor- November /December will not be as hot as it gets - thats usually well into February/ March these days - the climate has definitely moved!!! - Also this year has been particularly cold so the season is coming even later. That said it will still be hot. Just make sure you take water for the trip - apart from anything else its horribly expensive on the road. If you've got air conditioning in the van (which I'm sure you would have) then you'll be fine. Long trip though.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Just to clarify (and apologies for any confusion) - we are heading from Albany across to Port Lincoln area and then onwards - not at all central (can't remember if it is called the Great Southern Highway). Hubby has done his homework so we are not unduly worried about the route we are taking - tarmac road etc (he's armed with info re petrol stations, campsites etc).

Many thanks and any advice on what is not to be missed would be greatly appreciated!

Nina
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:38 PM

Just a few more words of advice to add to all the good advice so far - stop at the visitors' centre in Norseman and fill up with water before starting to cross the Nullabor. Most of the roadhouses won't let you take their water and will charge extra for showers. All the roadhouses have camping grounds - we've found the best to be Balladonia (check out their small but good museum) and Nullabor. There are also plenty of free camping areas along the highway.
There is a quarantine station just before Ceduna and the SA authorities will take all fruit and vegetables. However the town is only another 15 minutes away so you can stock up there.
Don't wait until your petrol tank is nearly empty. We have come across roadhouses without any fuel and have had to wait until the tanker comes in before moving on.
If you want to visit a very interesting place, New Norcia is about an hour's drive north of Perth. It is a combination of Benedictine monastery/churches/schools - they do a guided tour twice a day.
If you are looking for a good park in Perth, Perth International Tourist Park is at Forestfield - it's 5 star and excellent. The bus to the city leaves at the park gate so it is easy to have a day in town without driving/parking hassles. There is a shopping centre about five minutes drive away.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM

The trip across the Nullarbor is a good road with lots of traffic - a long journey but well worth it a least once. Just as Marg said - its worth keeping the petrol up just so you don't have to hang around. Water for drinking is definitely worth taking - rather than paying for very expensive ones - again as Marg says some roadhouse don't let you use theirs. Understandable as its scarce out there and there are very very many travellers on the road expecting to use it.

New Norcia is well worth the diversion from Perth too.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 06:19 AM

The Pinnacles a couple of hundred miles north of Perth and Wave Rock a couple of hundred miles east are well worth visiting.

Albany is pleasant, but I didn't find the tree top walk particularly interesting (it's in a valley, and you enter from the edge, so it's basically level and what you see is similar to what you see standing on the edge).

There's a book called "Touring Australia" (Thomas Cook/Passport Books) that describes all the main driving routes. I must confess I don't see much of interest in the route you've chosen.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:59 AM

I went to Perth last Year. Perthians are warm and friendly ppl.

If you're interested in unique Australian mammals, dont miss out Rottnest Island. Its here where you can find a cute marsupial ---> Quokkas ..roaming in their natural habitat.

Another site to recommend is Monkey Mia. Though you're not to find monkeys there, but dolphins. They are a friendly bunch who can either swim with you or feed them. Its a lovely place.