COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

What were They Thinking

Old Mar 25th, 2020, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

What were They Thinking

Ruby Princess??? Seriously, you let people disembark without any testing? COVIDIOT Brad Hazzard, what an appropriate name!!

From the Guardian (link won't post) on Monday 23 March 2020.On Thursday, the Ruby Princess cruise ship docked in Sydney harbour after an 11-day round trip to New Zealand.

Despite the ship previously logging 158 cases of illness on an earlier voyage, all 2,700 passengers on board were allowed to disembark at Sydney’s Circular Quay and return to their homes in New South Wales and interstate.

So far, 133 people have been diagnosed with the disease after leaving the ship, and one person, a woman in her 70s, has died.

The NSW health minister, Brad Hazzard, admitted on Sunday that this was a mistake to let passengers disembark, and on Monday the prime minister, Scott Morrison, said the Australian defence force had been called in to help NSW Health track the passengers’ contacts.

Last edited by mlgb; Mar 25th, 2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 02:12 PM

I agree, unbelievable. And of course, everybody is blaming someone else for letting it happen.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 03:01 AM

Indeed mlgb, what were they thinking? It is truly unbelievable. This decision turned the beautiful Sydney harbour into the worlds largest petri dish. This came up in conversation when I Facetimed my son a couple of days ago. He is a consultant in Emergency Medicine over there and so, along with thousands of others, will be in the frontline in dealing with the fallout from this. He couldn’t believe the stupidity of the decision. Too many incompetent politicians and too few leaders around the world at the moment. One can only hope that their time in positions of power is limited.
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Not just Sydney, as the passengers dispersed throughout the country, they've "seeded" other states. With all of the publicity on cruise ships, Princess in particular, it really is egregious.

Hope your son is well equipped, crellston.

My neighbor is an emergency room nurse. I usually hear her out and about but it's been silent next door, other than her partner. We've just had 8 firefighters at a nearby station test positive. There is a shortage of testing here, despite what our own incompetent politician says.

Old Mar 26th, 2020, 09:37 AM

Apparently the cruise passengers were asked to self isolate in hotels upon disembarking but clearly didn’t.

Thanks mlgb. I think (hope) he is better equipped than he would be if he were here in the UK where there are still major shortages of essential protective gear, masks etc. for NHS staff. Tonight at 20.00 there is a planned demo of appreciation of the NHS staff when everyone will stand by their front doors, windows etc and applaud their efforts. We too have a shortage of testing kits (although Prince Charles managed to get hold of one apparently and tested positive!). Apparently this is to be rectified shortly with the delivery of millions of self testing kits being delivered to the public. It was supposed to be this week then someone apparently remembered they needed to test the testing kits first!

Tonight at 20.00 there is a planned demo of appreciation of the NHS staff when everyone will stand by their front doors, windows etc and applaud their efforts. An appeal for 250,000 volunteers to assist the NHS has so far resulted in over half a million people applying.

There is a huge amount of good stuff coming our of all this, but still a lot of selfish people around. Our other son is a supermarket manager and having to deal with the hordes of moronic, selfish panic buyers and hoarders who still insist on clearing shelves preventing the people like the elderly, health and key workers from feeding themselves.

Old Mar 26th, 2020, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by mlgb View Post
Not just Sydney, as the passengers dispersed throughout the country, they've "seeded" other states. With all of the publicity on cruise ships, Princess in particular, it really is egregious.

Hope your son is well equipped, crellston.

My neighbor is an emergency room nurse. I usually hear her out and about but it's been silent next door, other than her partner. We've just had 8 firefighters at a nearby station test positive. There is a shortage of testing here, despite what our own incompetent politician says.
Not just Sydney, some of those passengers flew out of the country!
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Self-isolating AFTER you use taxis, Ubers, trains, and planes to get home!! Then having to head to the supermarket to stockup from your vacation, hugging or even just living with family members, all the while not knowing that you were on a sick ship!
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

OMG this is even worse than the "Loo-Roll Wars".

Nurses In Australia Issue Plea To Stop Violence, Theft Of Sanitizer And Masks

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...rusliveupdates
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 11:11 AM

Sadly it is happening everywhere. This is what happened at the hospital in the town where I grew up. https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/10/coron...ward-12375533/

My mother died of cancer in that hospital. I know what I would have done if I had caught one of those low life scumbags.
Old Mar 27th, 2020, 01:34 AM

Not new news here, mlgb.

You may have just caught up with it, but both the Ruby Disaster and the fact that Brad Hazard is both an idiot and appropriately named for his portfolio, is well known to the NSW population and I imagine, Australia generally.

He is in my old electorate and has been a liar and a fool for as long as I’ve known him, which is probably around 25 years. We have crossed swords on a number of issues, none of which pertain to this one - but the form is the same. Ignorance, obfuscation, lying and ducking for cover, when he is shown up.

You will no doubt be cheered to know it’s not only your own country that votes morons into positions they are demonstrably incapable of fulfilling.

Everyone is tin-plating about this. The ripples in the virulent pond will be wide & very hard to identify all those at risk. How would someone in a restaurant or Hotel around Circular Quay know they had a customer who had just come from a floating Petrie dish?

I suspect there is more to this than the surface “ none of the passengers knew anyone was sick” line. If you were on a cruise & some of the staff suddenly disappeared, you’d have to be living under a rock not to suspect Covid19.

As to mlgb’s criticism of people taking public transport, Ubers & taxis to get home ...
1) you have no idea who went straight home & who detoured for supplies with which to hole our for a fortnight.

2) Until today, the order was to go home for 14 days. Wouldn’t it be better to take one of those methods & maintain distance, than to have family hanging around Arrivals halls, with myriad others, hugging on arrival & then travelling home next to each other in the family car?

From tomorrow night - anyone arriving from overseas will be required to go into quarantine for 14 days in an hotel in their port of entry. No hopping a plane, or train out of the city/state, or going home.

I am concerned at the level of training the staff at the selected hotels will have had time to have - but as the “ Come home NOW!” directive has been in place for a place for a while now, I’m hopeful that the numbers will not be too great.

Speaking of numbers & capacity to cope - I think I’d rather be here than in the US.

Old Mar 27th, 2020, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

I have no idea what "tin-plating" means.