Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What sites should we "absolutely" hit in New Zealand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Lara

We have about 2 weeks in Nz and want to make the most of it. Wondering from those of you who have already been, what we should make sure we see.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:32 PM
holly

As much as possible!!!! <BR>The South island is a definate for the sheer natural beauty. <BR>Queenstown for the adventurous spirit in you. <BR>The North island for the wonderful sun drenched beaches (east coast/northland) and of course Rotorua for a unique touch of N.Z.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 09:23 PM
marg

In the South Island - Doubtful Sound and Milford Sound, Queenstown, the west coast (Fox and Franz Josef glaciers, Haast Pass). Wellington has a great musuem. The ferry trip between north and south islands is worth doing instead of flying. <BR>In the North Island, Rotorua for the Maori culture and thermal activity, Auckland because it's a nice city, Bay of Islands - take the ferry across to Russell.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Fred

Lara, <BR> <BR>My wife and I spent our Honeymoon in NZ, 24 days in a old rented camper van. One of the great countries to visit, Friendly, beautiful, and cheap. We spent our time on the south island not wanting to get into the rushed type of trip. Probably the highlight of the trip was "Deep Canyoning" in Wanaka just south of Queenstown. If you are outdoorsy and adventurous it is a must do trip. Deep canyoning is hiking into a very steep canyon with a guide and then donning a wet suit and rappeling gear. You alternately rappele (abseiling in Kiwispeak) and then slide down the slick rock river bed shooting over waterfalls. Marvelous but not for the faint hearted. No climbing experience necessary, very good guides. Best pizza in Wanaka too (Tuatara Pizza Bar, 76 Ardmore Street!) You can deep canyon in Queenstown area too but we don't have personal experience with that. Other highlights were the Abel Tasman NP, Queenstown (noisy but lots of nightlife if you are into that sort of thing) Hiring a fishing guide at Te Anau near Milford Sound who apologized for the poor fishing (I only caught 8 trout in 2 hours and they were small by NZ standards, only about 25"). You can't go wrong in New Zealand as long as you don't expect a lot of night life, like good beer, and like the outdoors. We are going back sometime soon. I spent 3 months hitch hiking NZ in 1986 and it hasn't changed too much. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR> <BR>Fred Judson

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:45 PM
fred

forgot to add, feel free to e-mail either my wife or I([email protected]) We went in January of 98 and love to remember and talk about it., Just don't try to do too much...

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:45 PM
dnorrie

South Island for sure - don't miss the pancake rocks and in Christchurh, take in the Wizard. North Island - I liked Rotarua but our travelling partners couldn't stand the sulpher smell. The wineries are great. You just can't go wrong in NZ - it is a great country with great people. Cheap too. Have fun.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 12:29 PM
sue

south island definately<BR><BR>queenstown, when the weather is nice<BR><BR>otago peninsula is beautiful, lot of culture,<BR><BR>don't miss the Catlins Forest in Invercargill area down south<BR><BR>don't miss Te Anau spend at least one night there, the drive from teAnau to Milford is beautiful too - it'll take you 1.5 hours, but with stops can easily take 3 hours.<BR><BR>have fun!