Western OZ..

Mar 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Western OZ..

Going to Perth later this year and driving down the coast,over 7-8 days.
And I need to know of some decent hotels in Perth itself and down the coast - Fremantle ?
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:49 PM

Lesg, I have only been to Perth and Western Australia once in my life, so I can hardly set myself up as an expert.... but here's something to at least start the ball rolling.

Fremantle is only a twenty-minute train ride from Perth, but it's a town of far more character than Perth, and is the preferred place to stay. I don't know what grade of hotel you are looking for, but I recall, while strolling along the water's edge, coming upon a grand old building, in a GREAT location, which used to be a fire station but is now a backpacker's hostel. We were already installed in Perth, but I remember thinking that if ever I came that way again, the Old Fire Station would be my first choice for accommodation. The had double and family rooms, I recall, and they were (like most hostels) CHEAP. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I am sure some local Fodorites will be able to fill in the gaps.

If you want upmarket accommodation, there are also some much more expensive and much more elaborate hotels around Fremantle also, and a few of those are just brimming with local "character". Sorry I can't bring their names to mind!But Fremantle is definitely the place to stay.
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM

Haven't stayed there myself but I've heard that the Esplanade in Fremantle is the best but I guess you would have to pay accordingly. Good luck!
Mar 1st, 2005, 02:23 PM

Hi, Lesg!

Me again! Found the Old Fire Station on google: look at http://www.hostelz.com/display.php/1...on+Backpackers
and see if you don't agree with me!
Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:58 AM

There is a LOT of accommodation 'down south' but not many hotels as such. Here are some well known ones:

The Atrium Hotel
65 Ormsby Terrace
Mandurah 6210 WA

Broadwater Beach Resort
Cnr Bussell Hwy & Holgate Rd
Busselton 6280
Telephone: +61 8 9754 1633
Facsimile: +61 8 9754 1511
Toll Free: 1800 097 855
Email: [email protected]

Karri Valley Resort Pemberton (Hotel)
Vasse Highway
Pemberton, WA 6260
Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:57 AM

What's your budget Les? I agree with Alan in that Fremantle has more character and things to do within walking distance.

If you wish to stay in Perth, I checked out a newly refurbished hotel a few weeks ago called the Comfort Hotel. It is about 3 star, but VERY clean as everything is new. It looks comfortable enough too. Prices are really good, so this may be a good option for you. If you're interested, let me know the room type you're after and I'll give you the price as I collected a price list when I was there.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Tina..I'm looking at either a King or a Twin room for my stay.Unfortunately the wife is tagging along.
My budget limit would be about £150 prpn which is about $350 Australian Dollars.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM

Lesg- I lived in Fremantle for 6 months. I would suggest the Esplanade Hotel Fremantle (http://www.esplanadehotelfremantle.com.au) or the Orient Hotel (http://www.theorienthotel.com.au/main.htm). You should also go to Rottnest Island, off the coast of Fremantle and Perth. A very nice hotel there is the Rottnest Lodge (www.rottnestlodge.com.au/). Rottnest is very beautiful and has a lot to do. Also, take the train from Perth to Fremantle. There are quite a few stops along the way and it is wonderful to explore them. Also, Perth is more modern like most cities while Fremantle has more charm and character.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:31 PM

LOL!!!!

You poor man having to bring the trouble and strife! (Still LOL!)

Some good news for you though, your 300 pounds (no sign) is actually worth about $1,200. This is not London. We were paying $1,800 per night for a dump there, but in Australia you can get a Presidential Suite for that.

I suggested the Comfort Hotel because most people are after budget accommodation. For that money I would suggest either Burswood Hotel, the Duxton Hotel, The Rydges or similar. You are obviously into comfort rather than price (as are we). The Hilton and Sheraton are a bit aged here - even the Presidential Suite is hmmm. The Esplanade (when last I looked, a few years ago) was ok, but mediocre.

I just checked for you. You can get a River Suite at Burswood for $845 per night which has 2 king beds (enough distance?) and full lounge/valet parking etc benefits. Their website is: http://www.burswood.com.au/. I recommend you try the Victoria Station Restaurant and Windows Restaurant as they are great. Do not go to Genting Palace though - very poor. (All these are at Burswood)

You are obviously hiring a car, so staying in Perth is fine, then you have easy access to everywhere else. Fremantle is only about a 25 minute drive south of Perth. Roads are easy to navigate here.

How far down the coast do you propose to go and in what month?
Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:19 PM

Lesq - I visit Perth &
WA, quite frequently, and my advice would be, to have 4-5 days in Perth, and then drive the south western corner of WA for 5 days (more would be better). Perth is a nice city, but do yourself a favour, and go & see a bit more of WA, like Walpole, Denmark, Albany, Geograph Bay, Bunbury, Margaret River, etc.
Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:18 PM

Frankly I think the Esplanade Hotel in Fremantle is very over-rated. I live in Perth but stayed there last year for a workshop and I was very disappointed. I thought I was staying in a Best Western! Plus the breakfast was $35 per person for a very ordinary buffet.

I like the Chifley on St Georges Terrace. It is a boutique hotel at a reasonable price - around $150 including breakfast. Or The Rydges is another servicable hotel in the central city area.
Public transport in Perth is very good and it would be easy to catch a train to Freo and spend a day there.

You might also consider spending a couple of days in Dunsborough/Yallingup/Margaret River. Wonderful wineries and beaches. There are lots of terrific places to stay and the area is great to visit at any time of the year, except perhaps Christmas time when it is full of families on holiday.
Mac123