Search

Weather in NZ on january??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 1999, 05:06 PM
melissa

Weather in NZ on january??

hi all, <BR>just wondering how tropical it is, as i am planning to go to the beaches, and what about the sea cold/warm?. thanks

Old Sep 11th, 1999, 02:34 PM
Sue

Hi Melissa <BR> <BR>Depends very much on which part of NZ you are coming to. Jan/Feb is of course our summer and the further north you go, the warmer it is. Christchurch can go up to 25-30 celsius - Auckland usually averages around 25 celsius, Northland will go closer to 30. The further north you go, the more humidity, the further south, the air is much drier. Tauranga, Gisborne, Napier often get long, hot summer days with not too much rain, anything up to 30ish. <BR> <BR>The sea is hardly ever warm - more a cool temp but at that time of year, not cold. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Sue <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 1999, 07:26 AM
Emily

There's plenty to do on the water in the North Island, but not swimming. As the previous poster said, the ocean temperatures are cool to cold everywhere you go. Don't forget, New Zealand is the closest country to the Antarctic!

Old Sep 14th, 1999, 01:03 AM
Jo

The previous 2 posts have said that the water is always cold in NZ. Not quite true! Around Tauranga/Waihi beaches in summer the water is lovely and warm - you can lie in it for hours with no hardship. In a perfect Northland day, the weather will get up to around the mid 30s. The summer just been was a very good one, and when I visited home in Jan for 3 weeks the warmest day I had was 37 degrees. <BR>

Old Sep 25th, 1999, 07:16 PM
sharon

I agree with Jo (Kiwi) <BR>Water is not always cold - refreshing when you first get wet but it is great and everyone swims - do try to get to the Coromandel Penisnula - we have glow-worms - bush - history - great scenery and endless golden beaches (all swimming a) and Hotwater Beach!!! <BR>you can email f you wish and I can give some details - how are you travelling ?? I can give soem hints for you email me direct [email protected] <BR>Kind Regards <BR>Sharon <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 11th, 1999, 04:58 PM
Trudy Meredith

I agree that weather can be different from water temperature. Gisborne is very hot in summer and this next summer <BR>promises already to be hot and dry. <BR>There are also many lovely beaches in <BR>a short r;un by car 15 mins or More <BR>Secluded beaches as well. email me <BR>and I can give more specific details