Weather at Ayres Rock in January

Oct 11th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Weather at Ayres Rock in January

We're planning a trip to Australia and NZ in January - supposedly after the high tourist season at Christmas. We want to visit Ayres Rock and Alice Springs - what kind of weather can we expect at these locations in January? Is it blisteringly hot? Thanks!
Oct 11th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Hello Bargem,

I've never been to Ayres Rock, but any climate website will tell you that daytime highs in January are 40 deg C (105 deg F). This also has been amply confirmed by Paul_S who lives in Alice Springs and posts here at Fodors.

Paul_S also warns folks about the flies in summer, as he did in the following thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=34528825

If you do a word search for Paul_S, you'll find valuable information on the Alice Springs / Ayres Rock area, and indeed informative posts about other parts of Australia too.

Something that surprised me about Alice Springs / Ayers Rock when I was new to Fodors was the high level of humidity the area experiences in summer. My preconceived idea of it was that it was a desert, and in my mind that equated to low humidity. But apparently the low humidity occurs only in winter.

Speaking for myself only, high temperatures + high humidity + zillions of flies = high motivation to find another place in Australia to visit in January and / or high motivation to find another time to visit Alice Springs and Ayers Rock.
Oct 11th, 2004, 10:28 PM

Hi Bargem,

Well Judy has already pipped me at the post as to the weather conditions you can expect here in January. This is our hottest month of the year and I can only re-iterate that the daytime temps will be in excess of 40 degrees Celcius. Nightime temps will be in the 30 to 40 degree range.

Our humid months are typically October through to December but we are not talking tropical humidity, even so we can get some awesome late afternoon storms here and the lightning shows are something to see.

We are currently sitting on 39 degrees Celcius as I type this in Alice Springs and I am sure at some point in the day we will reach 40 and this is only October. The fly season this year has turned out to be a shocker, even the locals are not going out bush because of the flies and for some reason the little beggers are biting this year.

I am contemplating building a weather station at my home here in Alice and making it available online for people to log into and check the current weather conditions. I will let everyone know when it is up and running. It will not be for a couple of months yet, I am also toying with the idea of putting a webcam on the same site which will show the western Macdonnell ranges.

Cheers

Paul_S
Oct 11th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Great idea Paul
and while you're at it get the weather telemetry from the front bar at the Shoal Bay Country Club on the same site so we can compare.
Oct 12th, 2004, 01:22 AM

Hi John,

Yes that would be good too, let me guess the weather from the bar would be ice cold with a slight snow cap. LOL

Actually I do not think the front bar exists anymore, it has been remodelled to bring it inline with the rest of the upmarket resort that stands where the old Country Club used to be. Nearly every member of my family has worked in the old Country Club, my brother-in-law used to be the general manager there.

Cheers

Paul