Darwin or Uluru dilemma

Oct 10th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Darwin or Uluru dilemma

We are making plans for a trip to Australia, 21 Nov - 24 Dec 09.

Our plans are: Sydney - Port Douglas - Darwin or Uluru – Adelaide - Sydney, followed by a cruise to Tasmania (already booked).

We like the outdoors experience; looking at the scenery, nature ect…

Our dilemma is should we visit Darwin or Uluru due to cost and weather? I have read a lot about both areas on this forum and we are only going to chose one.

The order of cities above is the order we are looking at. Due to time of year (wet season), any thoughts on changing our route to starting Darwin/Uluru then PD – Adelaide – Sydney?

Thanks

Oct 10th, 2008, 08:48 AM

I absolutely love the Top End (Darwin,etc.) but I have only been there in the winter (and likely would only visit in the winter.) Darwin will be hot/humid/rainy; Uluru will be hot/hot/hot.
If you have your heart set on visiting one or the other, I would choose Darwin over Uluru for a couple of reasons: 1) More to do in Dawin in the heat (good museums, etc.) and 2) much less expensive.
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:33 PM

I lived in Darwin for a year and I much preferred the "wet" season as you got relief from the heat that way and also the fantastic lightening shows were really something to see. The temperatures don't change much over the year and neither does the humidity so the rain is very welcome anyway and does not stop your enjoyment of the countryside. If you are asking if you should visit Uluru OR Darwin then I would go for Darwin because the inland temps will be very, very hot and you can also see a lot from Darwin i.e. Fog Dam, Litchfield, Kakadu, Kathrine Gorge and Mataranka Springs etc.
Oct 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM

My first advice would be neither but if you were to choose one it would have to be Alice Springs and Uluru and get it done earliest possible in November.
You can get an idea on temps and rainfall here, though obviously seasonal variations do occur
http://www.worldclimate.com/cgi-bin/grid.pl?gr=S12E130.

I have not lived in Darwin but visited in July this year to potentially get best weather and was very pleased, though it was unseasonably humid (not terribly high though)out in Kakadu, even locals of region commenting on it and I've been in Cairns in May and had far higher humidity.

However, October to December spans what is called the build-up season when little rainfall is experienced relative to the "wet" months and the climate site link indicates just that, and second to April/May - the "let-down or build down" period, build-up time is the least enjoyable and experiencing similar most years in Queensland, I can appreciate that.
LizzyF makes a huge call with "The temperatures don't change much over the year and neither does the humidity" in respect to the humidity.

Certainly costs could be reduced if you just visited Darwin, and say Litchfield National Park and Katherine Gorge but for "We like the outdoors experience; looking at the scenery, nature ect…" what you could see in Kakadu will likely be limited by restricted access, some of the best gorges the hardest to reach (national parks do close some roads) and if rains have not yet started it is going to be so dry and dusty getting to anywhere off the bitumen, but there'll be places where you'll possibly be able to spot crocs in the wild.
Fogg Dam was a disappointment to me, there being some birds and a couple of tortoise.

Alice Springs has a wildlife park and you'll possibly see kangeroos in the wild between Alice Springs and Uluru if doing a three day campout safari - www.waywardbus.com.au being one operator and that type of thing recommended.

And certainly wherever you visit, do the inland/tropical stuff first.

Oct 10th, 2008, 06:29 PM

If you went to Fog Dam other than at dawn Bushranger then it would be a disappointment. You have to be there when the millions of birds take to the air.
Huge call or not about the weather -I found that the build up and the lightening was fantastic and I always preferred the wet to the dry and found little difference in temps. But then I only lived there for one year and about 30 years in Queensland.
Oct 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM

I think it depends on what you plan to DO in either place. How long in Uluru? How long in Darwin?

Is it 2 days in Uluru v 2 days in Darwin, or 3 or 4 or 5?

Makes a pile of difference.

What makes a trip to the Centre special is not the "must sees" but the other stuff imho, so if you don't have time for that, then I'd go to Darwin, but only if you have time for a good long look at Kakadu.

Not the best time of year for either according to the stats. But then my first trip to Kakadu would have been third week in Nov and it was fine - plenty of free light shows in the sky (wonderful) but no rain. Muggy.

My first trip to the Centre was early January and that was perfectly OK too.

I would definitely try and visit whichever you decide on earlier rather that later in your time here. But as for which - more info required.

Cheers.
Oct 11th, 2008, 02:14 AM

We dropped into Fogg just on dusk Lizzy, and though a reasonable ammount of birdlife, suppose I've been spoilt in our own little bit of wilderness where our kookaburras, parrots, peacocks,honeyeaters, kingfishers and assorted other bush birds actually have trees to reside in.

And I don't question the temperatures but humidity is a lot higher during the wet than in the dry, but yep it's occur to like that better - quieter too with far less tourists in town.
Oct 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM

So where are you Bushranger - with all your ornithological diversity?
I would hardly call having a peacock around as being a pleasant thing. Had one myself in Queensland - well it adopted me - and the wretched thing would always "do do" at the front door whenever someone was coming and then sit on the darn roof and make the worst racket with its honking. Very pretty but very noisy creatures.
Oct 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM

We might nearly be neighbours Lizzy and the Peacocks doing the doo doo are the ones we give the shoo shoo to! (LOL) but no, the ones about here are reasonably well behaved when it comes to us and that for now - They only appeared a bit over a year ago, just sort of wandered down the road, a whole extended family of them it seemed and they just come and go a bit, maybe having taken up residence a bit further down the road and every so often they wander past or just up to near our hanging bird feeder to get the spill over - some honking, but more squeals and the occasional roof clambering (at night) that used to set the hounds off, but they now sleep through that and the possums having parties, so all is well - still enough unfenced natural growth about for them to claim their home somewhere.

It's the damm bush turkeys though you need to give a kick in the bum to, especially when they decide your gardens are great to kick over!
Oct 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Those Bush Turkeys are the biggest pain on earth and I grew to hate them. They are cunning and were even able to get away from my attempts to "get them" with a shanghai (sp????? - I presume it is spelt the same as the city) but at least they are not as bad a cane toads which I note have now got themselves into WA.
Oct 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM

Pelham104(movie?)hope you don't mind the slight hijack (it is about nature/wildlife anyway),
And ues, been fortunate so far with the BTs, only one showing up as a wee little chick a year or so back, so small I thought it may have been a quail, but he grew pretty quick but he/she too has heaps of free territory.

There was a tele article on the cane toad catching up near Darwin somewhere it may have been, a real sophisticated fence they couldn't get past and volunteers just going along picking them up for some good CO2 - but only way of any chance to get rid of them might be some sort of mass sterilisation, but even then!!! - a waterway into our dam had like a black cloud of toad tadpoles one year and already getting good rains again this year when we usually don't I'd expect heaps to be about again, and they are already on Fraser Island too! - saw one a few years back on last trip there.

Maybe an Unemployment Toady Army and offering free tent camping and grog to Balmy Army holidayers could work too - one can for 100 toads and a BBq snag as tea for 200.
Oct 13th, 2008, 05:30 AM

Cane toads now on Fraser Island Bushranger? I saw the biggest cane toad have ever seen in my life (and I live in Cairns where there's heaps of them) in the old resort swimming pool (Orchid Beach) on Fraser Island at least 30 years ago. Yes, there's various methods of their disposal, as long as its quick and merciful that's fine but cannot stand unnecessary cruelty to any animal. Such as throwing them onto road in hope they'll be squished by a car, only to have the creature impaled on road by one flattened leg and desperately trying to save itself. Have seen that too often.

We also have brush turkeys about, incredibly described sometimes by tourists as "baby cassowaries".
Oct 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Seems that ability of hitching a ride is in their genes for there was talk a few months back of Timor now having some courtesy of the military, and not surprising seeing as where on car I've found a frog on occasion.

You would not find me going to trouble of throwing them on to a road but driving on warmer nights you do find literally dozens if not hundreds of them on the bitumen in places, and it's "splat", "splat" at times because they do not seem to move and I'm not about to go slalom driving.

Their decimation of Australian natives is something the government really needs to address big time, and if frogs have adapted to cooler climates, heaven help them if the toads follow, as no doubt they will going further afield for tucker.

Another scientific initiative that makes me always ponder global warming, not so much that it may be occurring but nor just how much humans are contributing but more how effective we as humans can be in combating it.

Search this Thread