Weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Maria Stubbington

Weather

Hi I just wondered if any-one knows what sort of weather to expect in late Febuary? my boyfriend and I are going on the 19th for 10 days, we hope to spend most of time on the Islands near Nadi and the Yasawa group. <BR>I would be very grateful for any advise on where to stay as it is our first visit to Fiji and to the south pacific.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 08:48 PM
dnorrie

I just hated Nadi but the islands around it are lovely. Nadi itself was dirty and we were never away from people bugging us to buy. So, we travelled away from the city (you can hire a cab and guide for a quite reasonable price) and toured around the city and to the islands. We were there in early feb. and it was cyclone season. I believe that it was just coming to an end. There are reasonable hotels in Nadi if that is where you want to stay - the islands tend to be more expensive.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:00 AM
Maria Stubbington

Thanks for the information, I don't think we will stay in Nadi then, is it worth taking sun cream, or does it just ran all time?

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 03:04 AM
Maria Stubbington

Ooops I meant to put rain...

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 10:11 AM
dnorrie

We were there during a bad cyclone time. Probably the worst in a century. However, I still think that Nadi is not the place to go. The Islands however are spectacular. Take your sunscreen - unless it is like 1999, which was a bad year for storms, you will need it. You could stay in Nadi overnight and then take a ferry to one of the islands but do be sure to look them up on the internet and book something as they can become booked at that time of year. Nadi has inexpensive hotels all over and the small cottages are fine. <BR> <BR> <BR>I may be a bit negative about Nadi and Fiji as I have travelled quite a bit and am jaded about some things. You might enjoy it. Who knows? I just find that I look more and more for clean and for no one bugging me to buy from them. Nadi is not like that. We found lots of sites on the internet with places to stay on the islands. You must remember that the islands are just that - islands - there is nothing else there but the accommodation and you must be beach and sun people to enjoy. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps.

Old Jan 17th, 2001, 04:06 AM
kbrus

Yes, it will be cyclone season so just hope for the best. There was a cyclone when we were there the first of March.<BR>We had no electricity or water for two days and rain for a couple of days after that. Then it got very hot.<BR>The islands in the Yasawas are very beautiful plus we liked the Wananavu Beach Resort up on the Kings Highway.<BR>That part of Fiji is much more senic than the Coral Coast in our opinion.