Vivid sydey 2018

Old Jun 12th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Vivid Sydney 2018

Sydney, Australia

12 Jun. 2018,

VIVID SYDNEY

It is! And it’s fun, clever, a feel good wander around our gorgeous city. It closes this Saturday, so if you’re wondering whether you should go ...Do!

Went last night. An impromptu catch up with a friend in town for a meeting today. We had an early dinner at Born by Tapavino at Barangaroo ( best Spanish wine list I’ve seen!). After several nights of rain, this Queen’s Birthday weekend Monday night was perfect. Fine, cool but not too cold, and clear.

The Walking Puppet wobbled by, just a few of metres from our table & I was reminded of a night in Granada, when the Semanta Sana procession passed by our restaurant just as we were about to leave. Mine host invited us back to join his family & a few regulars to watch & enjoy a convivial toast or three. A breathtaking spectacle of sight, sound & atmosphere - and lovely memories of warm, interesting, hospitable people. I digress.

Hopping on the ferry around to Circular Quay, it was lovely to see Luna Park’s Ferris wheel and the Harbour Bridge included in this year’s exhibits. The MCA, Opera House were a fascinating collage of images .. but we were headed for the RBG. All that tapas & dolce ( not to mention the carafe of a rather nice red) to walk off.

I’m in town a lot & I never cease to be enchanted by our beautiful city. Day or night, sunny, cloaked in fog, or raining - the shades, shapes, liveliness or quiet ... it is, quite simply, an absolutely gorgeous harbour city.

And, always, our people. On this night, countries from every corner of the world & people of all ages & were represented. Multi generational, multi cultural family groups, teenagers with their friends, couples, solo strollers ... all enjoying the night’s light show.

Lots of people playing in & on the various interactive installations along our path. The large scale sequences on the MCA, Opera House, Customs House, Conservatorium of Music, take a few minutes to complete their series & provide a rest stop for anyone who needs it.

As we enter the Royal Botanic Gardens, we’re met with a glorious red “ Bush” . Just as we say “ The burning bush?”, it changes colour. In the dark, the floodlit branches of the ancient fig trees stand out in changing pale hues, emphasising their beauty in ways we never see in the daylight.

Imagine being a little child, out late at night, with the magic of floodlit trees 3D lakes, May Gibbs’ oversized Cuddle Pot & Snuggle Pie in the Royal Botanic Gardens! There’s a cornucopia of fascinating exhibits & we are in awe of the brains who conceptualise & bring them to life. These two big kids loved it all.

Thanks Vivid Sydney. You are. Absolutely!

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jun 12th, 2018 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Spacing!
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Bokhara2. I hope to schedule a visit to coincide with Vivid sometime. You live in one fine city!
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
where are the photos? thanks for posting in The Lounge or I would have missed this one!

Last edited by suze; Jun 13th, 2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

The photos are in the lounge - as you should have seen, Suze. I’ve added them here, now.

Last edited by Bokhara2; Jun 13th, 2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Tripplanner - Vivid is on around the same time very year. https://www.vividsydney.com/