Visiting Lavender Farm in Early Oct

Jul 5th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Visiting Lavender Farm in Early Oct

Hi...
I hope to visit a lavender farm during my vacation to Oz... will be in Melbourne first week of Oct. Which one is a better choice... Nedland Lavender Farm or Lavandula Swiss Italian Farm? Are there any other lavender farms elsewhere? Is the lavenders in blossom?
Jul 5th, 2005, 06:10 PM

We visited Tasmania in late October, early November and stopped at a few lavendar farms, but it was too early in the season. There were a few bushes in bloom near the lavendar product shops, but the fields of lavendar were not yet in bloom. I just checked online - the lavendar harvest is between December and March.
Jul 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM

I found the following info on the Lavandula Swiss Italian Lavendar Farm site (www.lavandula.com.au)

Spanish lavender is in flower from late October. The English lavender is in full bloom from Christmas: the fields are patterned in white, pink, mauve and deep purple lavenders.

During January the flower stems are hand harvested using a sickle, and bunched for sale fresh or dried.

I'd love to see the fields in full bloom!

Jul 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Nedland Lavendar farm is no longer open to the public just generally driving in, it can only be seen as part of a group tour. See their site at www.nedlandsfarm.com. I do see they offer bed and breakfast accommodation if that interests you.
Jul 5th, 2005, 08:25 PM

I visited the one in Tasmania. It was in full bloom and was magnificent and huge but it was January.
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:04 PM

Early October is a bit early for the lavender to be in bloom, but if you were wanting to visit a lavender farm I'd suggest Lavandula as the best option.

On the 1-2 October melbourne will be having a very large garden show at Caulfield Racecourse which you may be interested in - several display gardens as well as lots of growers etc.

I coordinate a not for profit group that opens private gardens around Australia to raise money for charity, if you're interested in more info about what will be open while you're in Victoria I'm happy to send it direct to you.
Jul 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Hi all,

Thanks.. I so glad to see all your response & suggestion. Where is the lavender farms in Tasmania ?... will consider going to Tasmania if I get cheap airfare or package... will look again in virginblue airline.
What are there to see in Tasmania.. I learned about Port Arthur and Ghost tour from other posts? Is this fun or scary?? Where can I find more info about it?
About Nedland and Lavandula.. I did check out their websites... but could anyone tell me what do I expect to see besides lavenders...in early Oct? I remember they say there's a strawberry farm near Nedland.

Jul 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi Maryk,

Pls email info regarding the garden show in Caulfield Racecourse to me : [email protected]. I will also visit the floriade festival in Canberra...most probably on 28-29 Sept. Do you know what's the highlight?
Jul 6th, 2005, 10:25 PM

Excite2, the Tasmanian lavender farm we went to was Nabowla at Bridestowe ( not far from Launceston ).I hope you make it there some day as it is a truly beautiful place and I am pretty sure they said it is the biggest in the world. Port Arthur is about the convict settlement there in the early days of the country and is more interesting than I expected ( not scary at all ). Not sure where you are but to learn more perhaps the Tasmanian Tourist Office would be your best bet. Have fun!
Jul 7th, 2005, 04:03 AM

In Tasmania we visited the lavender farm in Rowella situated near the Tamar River (also near Launceston).

http://www.lavenderhouse.com.au/

There are many, many things to see and do in Tasmania. We spent 16 days there last October/November and we hope to go again sometime soon. If you're interested in reading our trip report, let me know and I'll send it your way.
Jul 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Melnq8, surely I would like to read your reports. pls send and thanks a lot.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:10 PM

Excite2 - Just sent you the Tas Trip Report - sorry it's so long. Do you by any chance live in Malaysia?
Jul 7th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi... Melnq8

Yes.. I'm from Sabah, East Malaysia. Read part of your report... Terimakasih..... for your wonderful sharing.

So which part of Indonesia are you staying?

Jul 7th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Excite2 -

We live in Duri, on the island of Sumatra.

Enjoy your trip to Australia.