Venice

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Sue

Venice

Will be travelling to Venice, Rome & Paris mid July and am in need of accommodation for 2 adults and 2 children. Looking for 3/4 star, as close to the action at a moderate cost. Yea I know, I want it all but any suggestions anyone!

Mar 29th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Alan

Sue, I envy you the trip! Those are perhaps my three favourite cities in the whole world. Can't give you any great tips, however, except the suggestion to post this on the "Europe" Fodors board, and also to have a look at www.budgettravel.com/messages/ and maybe ask there as well. Good luck!

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:56 AM
Ellen

Hi Sue
I've been to those three lovely cities and alas, I can tell you about one hotel only. In Rome we stayed in Vatican City (the closest area to the Vatican) at the hotel called Olympia. We stayed in a family suite (two bedrooms 1 king size bed and 2 twin beds and one bathroom). The rates on the family suite were more reasonable than two rooms and the accommodations were great.
In Venice we actually stayed on the train route at the town called Padova and our rooms were mediocre. In Paris we were booked into a hotel on Rue Monge in the Latin Quarter. It was toooo far from everything. A hotel in St Germaine or near the Eiffle would be better suited. Paris is such an old city the rooms are pretty small.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:58 PM
Liz

I can tell you that in Paris there is an apartment hotel near the Opera house that I stayed in which was excellant.. Although we only had a one bedroom apt there are all sorts you can get and it is very nice to be able to make yourself something in the kitchen. My breakfasts were from the bakers downstairs and just around the corner and there were other eating places close but I did enjoy staying in and eating too. The name of the place escapes me but it starts with C I will do a search and if I come up with it will post again.
I have not been to Venice 'cause my husband went and didn't like it and Rome was such a let down that I can't remember where I was there either. Florence was my favourite place and don't forget to take the bus to Ostia Antica which is just outside Rome. It is so nice not to have crowds but see something of life a couple of thousand years ago.

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:07 PM
Liz

It was the Citadines Apt Hotel and here is a site where you can check out most of the hotels etc including this particular one.
http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=htfv&itid=&itdx=&itty=&from=f&foop=0&pair=PAR
The people there were particularly nice and helpful and I was extremely happy with it.

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:54 PM
Dawn

Hi Sue,

The Hotel Concordia in Venice is incredible - right on St. Mark's square. We also liked the Fenice Palace in Florence, by the Duomo.
As Alan said, I bet you'll receive even more responses if you also post on the Europe message board here at Fodors.

Have a great trip!