Using a US Cell Phone in Australia/New Zealand

Jan 4th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Using a US Cell Phone in Australia/New Zealand

Does anyone know whether any US cellphone providers offer a phone that can be used in these two countries, and also has good US coverage? Thanks
Jan 4th, 2008, 03:24 PM

International Roaming will cover all your needs if your call providor has it.
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Steve, I have an ATT cell phone plan. When I travel internationally I just call them and enable it (5 / month) calls are $1/minute with this (expensive, so no long chats).

I've had no problem with coverage in Australia, Bulgaria, Switzerland or England. I can't imagine that it wouldn't also work well in New Zealand.
Jan 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM

We have cingular (now ATT) and got the unlock code from them before we left the US. We then bought a $25 prepaid SIM card which gave us a new number, but gave us local rates in the country (Australia). The SIM card was worth $25 in calls, so it was "free". It was great for calling ahead, contacting Fodorites (hi, Neil, Bokhara, Alan, and Pat!) etc. To call home we got a $30 prepaid MCI card from Costco that we haven't used up in two trips to Australia and calling home quite a few times each trip. I think the US coverage of the ATT is fine, as good as any, I guess, but havent' tried to go out in the boonies with it.
Sally in Seattle
Jan 5th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Just make sure your GSM phone is a "quad band" or "world phone" otherwise it won't work everywhere.
Jan 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM

Good point, Elizabeth. North American GSM-standard phones work on the 850 and 1900 Megahertz frequencies, which are used in very few other countries. Australia uses 900 and 1800 MHz, the international standard and I think NZ uses 900 only.

The dominant standard in the US is a technology called CDMA, although GSM is catching on.

If you want to make lengthy calls home the best idea is to buy a calling card with cheap rates to the USA. You can buy them everywhere in Australia, post offices included (and I'm sure NZ too).
Jan 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Help: we are on Verizon. We are meeting our son (same system) in Queenstown. Can anyone tell me how we set ourselves up to communicate in NZ?
Jan 6th, 2008, 05:47 AM

If you are on Verizon in the US - then your phone is CDMA, NOT GSM.

I am not aware of Aust/NZ using CDMA technology - and if not, then your phone is no better than trying to use a US manufactured toaster to make calls with.

Sorry, perhaps others will be aware if Aust/NZ uses any CDMA.
Best, Dave
Jan 6th, 2008, 06:34 AM

You may have to rent a cell phone from Vodafone.You can rent them by the day, week or month for pick up once you are there. I have made calls to Verizon about this dilemna. Unless you want to buy a new phone that is GSM "enabled" this is your solution.
Jan 6th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Thank you both. I will look into vodaphone.
Jan 6th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Telstra installed a CDMA network in Australia some years back to supplement GSM in rural areas, but it's due to be switched off on 28th January in favour of a 3rd generation mobile network. In any event it probably uses a different frequency band to the US network.

However GSM (Global System for Mobiles) will remain ubiquitous in Australia for a good while yet.

Going back to the original question "and also has good US coverage?" - while GSM is now more widespread than it used to be in the US, last time I checked there were areas where coverage was poorer than CDMA. If you were planning to use a quadband GSM phone back home you'd need to check AT&T (or whoever's) coverage maps.

"...if not, then your phone is no better than trying to use a US manufactured toaster to make calls with"

- And I wouldn't recommend trying to make toast with it either, because the power supply in these parts is 240v.

Jan 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM

"I wouldn't recommend trying to make toast with it either, because the power supply in these parts is 240v."

Best, Dave
Jan 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM

More info from verizon! I have an old Nokia phone with Verizon service.I was intially misinformed by Verizon about using my phone in NZ. I have since been told that I can use my phone which is CDMA in NZ, but it seems I will be charged international roaming charges. I had to update the roaming capabilties- with their phone help. I have decided not to rent a phone for a month for $80 NZ. Since I just need this phone for a possible road emergency I can incur some charges without breaking the bank! I will have to bring a charger and buy a plug adapter also.