Cell Phones in Australia & NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have decided to purchase a cell phone to use during our trip to Australia and New Zealand next month. We want a “universal” phone, so we can use it on other trips as well. My problem is that I’m approaching this from a state of complete ignorance. I know nothing of SIM cards and prepaid phone cards.

I’ve researched and visited a number of sites, including Telstra (which might not be right for me as it appears to be Australia based and I’d like to use the phone throughout the world), Cellular Abroad, and Telestial. I’ve also read several Internet article about international cell phones.

So – I know I need an unlocked GSM phone, either triband or quadband, which I think I can purchase through Telestial or Cellular Abroad. I also think I’ll need separate SIM cards for Australia and New Zealand. This is where I start getting confused. I haven’t got a clue as to what they are or how to put them in. I also don’t know how to sign up for service – is this where the prepaid phone cards come in? I will want to be able to call around Australia and New Zealand if I need to, and want the capability to call and receive calls from the U.S. In all likelihood I’ll use the phone very little, as I’m just not a phone person, but we have decided it is a good idea to have one since we’re hiring a car for parts of our holiday.

So far you all have helped me plan the itinerary, eased my qualms about tipping, and now, hopefully, some of you will be able to offer me some guidance so I don’t end up in a mess, with a phone that I can’t use! Our trip is coming up soon and we’re getting excited! Thanks to all for your guidance and advice.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:02 AM

you don't say if you are coming from the US or not. So this info works for someone coming from the States...

When I went to NZ for 2 1/2 months last December I had the same questions as you do. I needed a phone that my parents could call in case there was an emergency and I wanted my own phone, not to rent one.

I got something called a "quad-band" phone. This is a "universal" phone -- you can use the same piece of equipment (the phone) in every country in the world.

There is also something called a "tri-band" phone. That one doesnt work in some countries -- and not in NZ.

I got my phone, a Samsung, through Cingular/AT&T.

It was a bit of a difficulty to get it unlocked however. I had to deal with the Cingular guy on the phone for almost 2 hours so he could "get permission" from Samsung to give me the secret code. But once that was done, it was simple. Just press the code into your keypad and the phone is unlocked forever.

When I got to New Zealand, I went right away to a Vodafone shop and bought a SIM chip. That's because having the SIM chip gave me a NZ telephone number, so when I would use it in the country, it was a local call with a local charge, not an overseas charge.

The SIM card is about the size of an adult's fingernail. The guy at the Vodafone store took out my Cingular SIM card that came with the phone (I taped it to a business card from the store and put it in a plastic baggie in my toiletry kit so I wouldn't lose it -- if you do, you have to buy a new phone at home) and then inserted the Vodafone SIM card. I seem to remember the whole thing cost about $35 or so.

I got the plan that is like a prepaid phone card. You can put more money into your account by calling a special phone number and giving your credit card info. So, for example, I started with about $NZ40 or something like that. I would check every week or so how much money I had left, and when it got to be too small I put more money on it.

The SIM card came with a hefty book of instructions, and the NZ shop guy was so helpful in showing me how to "top up" the money on the phone.

For my parents to call me from the US it was an international call. But at least I had my own phone with me at all times.

In the 10 1/2 weeks I was in NZ I think I called the US maybe 4 or 5 times. It was most helpful though in making local calls -- to reserve space on tours, or to make a dinner reservation, or even to reserve a space in a hostel.

I was really nervous about the whole phone thing before I left, too, but then found out how non-stressful and easy it was. And now I can use my phone anywhere in the world.

Hope this is helpful.
--hikrchick.

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi hikrchick. Yes, we're coming from the U.S., so your information hits the mark. It sounds like a quad band phone is what I want, as we travel a lot, so it would be nice to be able to use it anywhere. Thank you for helping me to feel a little more secure. I have this vision of completely messing up and wasting my $$ out of ignorance. Not that the world would come to an end, but it sure would be inconvenient.

BTW, I think I read your blog last month about your trip. I really enjoyed it and your style of writing.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:24 PM

Just a little clarification needed to hikrchick's helpful post:

"I got something called a 'quad-band' phone. This is a 'universal' phone -- you can use the same piece of equipment (the phone) in every country in the world.

- Just to nitpick, I think that should read "every country in the world except Japan".

I was initially puzzled by the statement "There is also something called a 'tri-band' phone. That one doesnt work in some countries -- and not in NZ." My thoughts:

- Most countries, including Australia, use two frequency bands - 900 and 1800 Megahertz - but NZ appears to use 900 only.

The US and some neighbouring countries use 850 and 1900 MHz.

A quadband phone gives you all 4 bands, a triband (obviously) only 3.

My Samsung triband, bought in Australia, provides the "international" 900 & 1800 bands plus one US band, 1900. As such it would work fine in NZ. However, it's possible that a triband phone bought in the US may provide both US frequencies (850 & 1900) but only 1800 for use elsewhere. If that's the case, that would explain why the phone wouldn't work in NZ.

Answer - yes, a quadband would be best.

Incidentally, the SIM (subscriber identity module) is a small card programmed with your phone number, phone book (if used) and remaining call credits. The shop will show you how to insert it in the phone.

BTW, I'm not sure how the NZ mobile phone numbering system (they're called "mobiles" in this part of the world, not "cellphones&quot works, but Australia has a national numbering plan - i.e. mobile numbers aren't prefixed by a local area code. Call charges are higher than in the US but you don't pay national roaming charges, nor are you charged for incoming calls.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Neil, thanks for your response. I'm needing lots of hand-holding on this. Absolutely crazy, I know. Buying a cell, I mean mobile, phone shouldn't be such an overwhelming task.

Is there any reason to wait until we get to Australia, then later NZ, to purchase the SIMs? Telestial sells prepaid cards for both countries. I also noticed that they have something called a "Passport" card that offers service in many countries - apparently all using the same card. I want to have as much done as possible before we arrive, as I don't want to spend our first day in each country searching out a phone shop!

Thanks again for all the info.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:21 PM

nevermind, I guess I should have published a disclaimer - you're talking to the guy who couldn't get his unlocked triband phone to work with a prepaid SIM in the US. More accurately, the Cingular shop in SF couldn't get it to work. Maybe I should have persevered, but I gave up and bought a phone card from Safeway, so the inconvenience was minor.

Re Telestial, I wonder whose networks they use in Aus/NZ and what call rates apply? Whatever the case, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone to sell you a SIM. If you want to call back to the US, though, I suggest buying a phone card that can be used from any landline - the rates are much cheaper and you can buy them everywhere - post offices, newsagents, Asian groceries and other outlets.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

I read about your phone debacle when doing my original "research", Neil. I'm worried about having something similar happen to me!

The SIMs offered by Telestial are through JUST for Australia, and Vodafone in NZ. I did notice that coverage in NZ looks a little sketchy, however. We'll be primarily on the west side of the South Island, driving in our car. Hikrchick, if I remember correctly your itinerary included that area. Did you have problems with coverage?

I also found a world phone through Mobal, which offers a cheap phone but expensive calls. If I purchase the more expensive plan ($99 for phone and SIM) the SIM appears to work just about everywhere and the SIM doesn't expire with disuse. As I mentioned, however, the calls are expensive. I guess I'd need to take a guess at how many calls I think I might make over the life of the phone and do the math. Does anyone have any experience with Mobal?

I think I'll make a decision this weekend so I can move on and start worrying about what kind of clothes to pack...

Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:33 PM

nevermind, thanks for your kind words about my blog. My trip to Aotearoa/NZ was one of the best things I've done, ever, and it changed my life.

as for mobile-phone coverage, I had no trouble anywhere in NZ. I did not camp in the wilderness -- I stayed in hostels and did day-hikes, so I wasn't making calls from the middle of nowhere. I don't expect that my cellphone/mobile was actually working while I was climbing Fox Glacier or out on the Kepler Track. But when I needed it, it worked just fine. Fine in Auckland, Wellington, Wanaka, wherever. I got text-messages all the time. I made calls from hostel to hostel to make reservations and never had a problem.

The thing about the west coast of the South Island -- Fiordland -- is that much of it is undeveloped. It's empty. And why would you need to make a call when looking at that gorgeous scenery anyway...

--hikrchick

as for spending time finding a phone store when you get there, i was worried about the same thing. turns out that the local Vodafone shop was located exactly 90 seconds' walking from my hostel in the Ponsonby section of Auckland. I think the entire process, including putting the SIM card in the phone, probably took less than 15 minutes.

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

hikrchick - a friend of mine and I were talking the other day about how we come back from each trip changed just a little - or a lot. We are so fortunate to be able to take advantage of the opportunities this big world offers us.

Thanks for your observations on cell coverage in NZ. Since we are renting a car and driving the west coast of the South Island, our primary concern is being able to get assistance should we have a problem such as a flat tire or breakdown.

The beginning of our trip is just a couple of short weeks away and we are getting excited! Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 10:13 AM

Question and Tip:
I got my quad band on ebay for $50.00 newI have used it all over Europe and Middle East, northern Africa
Question. When I go downunder can they just do a quick sim change and then when I leave can I easily switch back to United which is what I use in Europe. I have asked United and they really didn't have a good answer. Thanks
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:20 PM

JoanneH, if you've been able to insert local prepaid SIMs in your quadband phone in each of the countries you've visited, that means the phone is unlocked, and there's no reason why you can't do the same in Australia and NZ, which use the same frequencies as Europe's (NZ uses 900 MHz, Australia uses 900 and 1800 MHz). Your quadband phone should pick up both these frequencies as well as the North American 850 and 1900 MHz bands*.

I don't know anything about United, but again, if the phone is unlocked I presume that you could simply re-insert their SIM card when you return to Europe and take up where you left off.

This probably doesn't apply to you, but if anyone else reading this has a locked GSM cellphone, you should be able to get your carrier or a phone shop to unlock it for a fee (in Australia I've been quoted AU$50, and in the UK I understand it's typically £20-30.

A cheaper alternative may be www.unlocktelecom.net. This UK company appears reputable, and what they do is this: providing your phone make and model is on their list of remotely unlockable phones, for a fee of £3.99 (payable online) they'll provide you with a code which you then key in to the phone to unlock it.

* It's a pity the US has always seen fit to go its own way in telecommunications standards rather than comply with International Telecommunications Union (ITU) standards. This wasn't so much of a problem until the advent of mobile phones, now it's one extra PITA for travellers in each direction.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:21 AM

thanks my phone is unlocked.