Upcoming Cairns/Darwin/Adelaide/Brisbane Trip

Old Apr 20th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upcoming Cairns/Darwin/Adelaide/Brisbane Trip

My husband and I have planned our own trip (via the internet) this May, flying from Anchorage, AK to LA/Brisbane/Cairns, where we'll stay for 3 days, then go to Darwin for 5 days, then fly to Adelaide where we have rented a minivan to drive back toward Brisbane (via Sydney) where we fly home May 29. Do you have any advice or "must sees", especially on our 8 day drive at the end of the trip?

We have no "set in concrete" itinerary during the time at each location. Any help or thoughts are appreciated! This is our first adventure to Oz and we're very much looking forward to it. By the way, we're not young & not backpackers, but not afraid to "do our own thing", either!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 11:39 PM

I might have added an extra day in Cairns/North Qld but you must have done that for a reason.
I presume that you are driving from Adelaide through Broken Hill to Sydney? Just a few things I may suggest but I am sure experts on South Australia will have others.
Do take the time to visit the wineries of either the Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale or Clare Valleys as some of the wines in S.A are the best in the world and often there are wines that you cannot buy anywhere else. Take in the German villages in this area as well and perhaps treat yourself to a trip up to the Flinders Ranges - Ask the locals in Adelaide about trips up there.
I drove that trip a long time ago and one of the places that comes to mind is White Cliffs which is off the main road but is an Opal mining area and very interesting. Broken Hill is a tad different too and I loved fishing in the river with the Aboriginies as Willcannia - a real outback town. Perhaps too drop in at one of the towns on the Murray River before you leave S.A.
Keep in mind that most pubs have really good meals so it won't matter where you are you should get a nice meal somewhere without the need for flash restaurants.
These are just a couple of ideas because I really am out of date regarding that trip.
Have fun though
Liz
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:32 PM

In Darwin, go to Mindil Beach market (Thursdays and Sunday evenings usually) for great food, atmosphere and the sunset over the beach. If you have time, the museum is good, particularly the Cyclone Tracy exhibit. If time allows, Litchfield NP and the Territory Wildlife park are worth visiting.
Driving from Adelaide to Sydney - the highway passes through the Barossa Valley so good opportunity to check out the wineries. Tanunda is an interesting old town so you could have a walk around the town. There is a good range of accommodation in Tanunda and the surrounding area. The new Orlando winery is spectacular architure. If you want to go to the Clare Valley as well, it is only about two hours drive away.
From Barossa you can follow the Murray River and drive through Renmark to Mildura which is a good overnight stop with lots of places to sleep and eat. On your way from Mildura to Broken Hill (about three hours drive) stop at Wentworth for a look around. While you are in Broken Hill, make sure you go to Silverton and also have a look at the great art galleries around the town.
Hope you have a great holiday.
Old Apr 23rd, 2003, 10:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Liz & Marg, for your advice. We look forward to our adventure in just a couple of weeks and will try some of your ideas!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:44 PM

AlaskaLady - hope you have a great holiday. We may pass you in the air as we are flying to Canada in May.