Search

Uluru in May

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uluru in May

Hi..I'm hoping to finally be able to visit the Red Center for the first time this May, been wanting to for many many years now. I'm hoping to get flights, accommodations and approved leave from work within the next 2 weeks.

Some questions :
1) Sales in the Desert - Any thoughts ? Seems like a nice place. I'm not really picky and am just looking for the good value for money place to stay, knowing how pricey it is there. Right now, it's offering quite a good deal .. less t han $300 for 3 night. How far is it from the Rock and the Olgas ?

2) How does one go around and see the sights ? Based on my research , a solo traveler like me would do best by joining the tours..again, given the price of renting a car, petrol, etc Agree or disagree ? And if yes, which tours do you recommend ? I'm obviously keen to see either sunrise and/or sunsets of the Rock and the Olgas ... any other must's ?

3) What about food ? Do I have have options -- or is everything at a restaurant or the hotel ? I'm fine to spend on some meals but usually, I mix them with buying stuff from the local groceries ; or more affordable eateries.

4) I'm probably going to do 4 days / 3nights. Arrive via Virgin around 1:30pm ; and fly out again around 1:30p on Day 4. Based on my research, that should be enough. And even longer than some visitors' stay. What do you guys think

Thank you!

Old Dec 30th, 2019, 01:00 PM

All accommodation, shops and restaurants are located in Yulara, a small township which provides all services for people visiting Uluru and Kata Juta (the Olgas), and everything there is in walking distance. All accommodation is owned by the same company. I'm surprised that you can get three nights at Sails in the Desert for $100 a night for three nights or have I misread this. I would expect to pay about $300 per night. There are cheaper hotels but they should all have a reasonable standard.
Hiring a car would give you more flexibility but you would need to check out costs of tours for a comparison. I would think you would want to do two tours to Uluru, one during the day to do some walking, and another to see either sunrise or sunset. Plus another tour to visit Kata Juta. You can google rental car rates and tour costs to help you with your decision.
May is a good time to visit - hope you enjoy your visit.
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Im amazed you can get that price too. i just did a rough search and its $895 for 3 nights. we stayed at the Outback Pioneer hotel in may and it was fine. All food and meals are expensive.
there's lots of range from cafeteria style to sit down dinner.all around th eresort and you casn go to all venues.
we didn't have a car and did trips to Uluru sunrise, Field of Lights, Segway walk around Uluru, ,hop and off bus. If you want to go to the Olgas you may find a car easier.
We enjoyed the bus drivers commentary .
Its a wonderful place and it took me 73 years to get to my own backyard.