Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

May Honeymoon: Sydney/Uluru/PalmCove - Would love suggestions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've spent the last few days searching the postings and I'm finding all sorts of wonderful tips. Thought I see if I could get a few more! My fiance and I have booked our flight to Australia for our honeymoon in May. We are very excited! Here's our itinerary:
(Wed)Day1-Sydney (Sheraton on the Park - Is this a good place to stay?)
(Thurs)Day2-Sydney (My Birthday - Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner?)
(Fri)Day3-Day trip to the Blue Mtns. (We planned to go with a tour group - any suggestions on who to use? Or, if we were to do it on our own, how do we get there and what do we do once we are there?)
(Sat)Day 4 - Sydney (I want to go shopping!)
(Sun)Day 5 - Uluru (Desert Gardens Hotel & doing the Discovery Eco Tours Kata Tjuta Encounter)
(Mon)Day 5 - Uluru (Sunrise Uluru Tour and Liru Walk)
(Tue)Day 6 - Palm Cove (Outrigger's Beach Club and Spa)
(Wed)Day 7 - Palm Cove (No tours/outings set up yet)
(Thurs)Day 8 - Palm Cove (Head back to Sydney that night.
(Fri)Day 9 - Head back home...
Few more questions:
-What is the weather like in Sydney, Uluru, and Cairns in mid-may? I need help packing!
-What is the best transit pass to purchase in Sydney? We want to visit the zoo, maybe do the ferry ride to Manly, head down to Coogee and do the Coogee to Bondi beach walk if time permits, shop at the Paddi Markets, obviously see the usual highlights (opera house, harbour, ...)
-What is a highlight in Cairns that we can do from Palm Cove? Note-we are not big water sport people,...snorkeling is not an interest of ours, but we love to be near the ocean or on a boat.
I apologize if this post is long...just hoping you folks could help us make this trip wonderful.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM

BirdDee,
The Sheraton on the Park is an excellent hotel and I am sure you will enjoy staying there - the location is good - right in the CBD and walkable to all the tourist areas.
The whole hotel is beautifully furnished and kept and very clean etc.
We stay there often as we live four hours from Sydney and have found that the majority of the staff have been there for years - which I think is a good indication.
The hotel looks out over Hyde Park which is nice and if you are on a high floor you get to see some of the harbour.
Obviously there are more top end hotels down towards Circular Quay which have better views - but I still think you will find it to be very good.
I hope so anyway.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Agree with above. Very convenient and nicely appointed. For a special night on your birthday I suggest you look at QUAY or EST (or ROCKPOOL if you want seafood).Alan may be along soon as he is the expert on the Blue Mountains.David Jones is the main Department store and is very near your hotel.Uluru and Palm Cove should be warm in May I think. Sydney should be nice during the day but perhaps you may need a jumper or jacket at night.There is a $15 (AUS) travel ticket which takes you on all the public buses, trains and ferries and is valid all day.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM

Also BirdDee...the cliff walk is lovely but from Coogee it is a long one. We do it from Bondi to Clovelly which takes us about two hours and gives us an excuse to have a nice lunch and beer at the Clovelly Pub. After that we catch a bus back to Bondi or to the city. You have a great honeymoon planned and I hope all goes well for you. Cheers!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM

>>>What is the weather like in Sydney, Uluru, and Cairns in mid-may?<<<

SYDNEY

Average daily high 67 deg F

Can be as high as 78 deg F.

Average daily low 54 deg F.

Can be as low as 42 deg F.

ULURU

Av hi 77 deg F

Hi hi 91 deg F

Av lo 50 deg F

Lo lo 35 deg F

CAIRNS

Av hi 81 deg F

Hi hi 86 deg F

Av lo 67 deg F

Lo lo 57 deg F

Figures come from the Trip Planner feature of the Weather Underground website. Assumed, in the absence of specific dates, that trip was from May 11th to May 20th.