Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Turnaround time between landing in Auckland from LAX and departing domestic

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving into Auckland (via Qantas) at 9:10 a.m. from LAX and would like to get on the domestic flight to Nelson at 11 a.m. Is this even possible? Or should we aim for the 12:40 flight? The last thing we want to do is sit in an airport longer than necessary but I understand we have to go to another terminal (bus ride) to take Air New Zealand to Nelson. Anyone have experience or know whether we are okay with just a little less than 2 hrs to clear customs, etc and then get on over to Air New Zealand.

Thanks as always

charli50
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 12:31 PM

It isn't very far with to the other terminal. You can push your trolley as easily as taking the tram.

Really the issue is will your flight be on time and how long does the luggage retrieval take? I just don't trust Qantas or anyone to be on time from LAX. Is there a ticket class where you can go standby on the earlier if you arrive on time?.

If you have time to kill there are tourist info offices in the international terminal, and you can take a shower.

It doesn't usually take long to clear customs.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 04:49 PM

At any airport always allow at least an hour to clear customs/baggage collection/quarantine.

Then add getting to domestic ???

Then add getting through domestic check in and security - at least 30-45+ minutes for that.

I think a two hour turn around is asking for stress! You might make it, but do you really want to risk it?

What will it cost you in time and money to get another flight if you miss your first one? Can you just catch the next one or will you have to Standby for a vacancy and perhaps wait for hours?
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:08 PM

I believe that the 11am flight is cutting things way too fine - check in for that flight would close at 10.30am - I'd definitely take the next one at 12.40pm. The wait is only marginal really and it'll give you a chance to stretch your legs, freshen up etc.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Yall are all great. This helps a lot and we will definitely do the 12:20 flight.