HELP with itinerary!

Old Aug 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP with itinerary!

Hello all! I am new to the forum but thought I might get some good advice about Australia from those of you who have been.

I am planning a trip with a friend for February or March of 2011 to visit Australia. My good friend and his wife moved to Melbourne so I know there is a great place to stay there. I want to fly from Denver to Melbourne, get acclimated there, then fly up to Sydney for a few days. My traveling friend wants to go up to the Great Barrier Reef at that point but I just don't think there is enough time because we also want to see New Zealand. I was thinking of flying from Sydney to Aukland and do some outdoor adventure stuff for a few days then flying back to Melbourne for a week before heading home.

The trip is looking like 24 days total. I am thinking of leaving here the middle to late February since that will be the end of their summer and I hope good weather?

My friend made a good point that we are already out there and we need to see the Great Barrier but I really don't think there is enough time. We must stay in Melbourne for about half of the 24 days and I want to visit Sydney and New Zealand for sure. Any suggestions to this outline itinerary would greatly be appreciated. We are both agile travelers in the 30 year old range. I hope to keep this trip under 6K for everything but I am staying at my friends place for free lodging for about half of the time.

All input is appreciated!
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM

End of Feb. is technically the end of summer, but that doesn't mean it won't be hot. Temps. are often in the low to mid 30s Celsius so expect warm weather. It should still be ideal for travelling. The GBR is one of the wonders of the world and as you have traveled so far I think you should make every effort to visit that area. After all it is one of the reasons many people come to OZ. 12 days in Melbourne with your friends, 3 days on the GBR including travel, 3 days in Sydney and 6 days in NZ would be a good time allocation.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM

To be frank I think flying to NZ for a few days in Auckland is not very good use of your time or money. While I love visiting Auckland, and the other New Zealand cities, these really aren't the highlights of the country. I would follow your friend's advice and visit the Great Barrier Reef while you are in Australia.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 10:28 PM

I agree . Maybe leave NZ till next time. If you definitely want to do NZ, flying there and then back to Melbourne before flying home seems a long way around?
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM

Why do you want to go to Auckland? It is just an outer suberb of Sydney.

If you want adventure type activites, there are plenty here.If you want NZ scenery that is different.

If you really want to go to NZ, fly home via there. Flying there and back from Melbourne you will lose the best part of a day each way in flight times; time zone difference; 2-3 hour international check in and an hour in customs and quarantine entering each country. Both are strict with quarantine.

Be aware that Febuary is Cyclone season at the GBR. They are random and generally rare. But may impact on your plans.Also it will be in the Wet Season there and Hot, humid and rainy.

Otherwise, Schools will have gone back and things will be quieter.

Melbourne is a lovely city, with lots to see and do. With even more with day trips out to the country side.

I'm originally from Melbourne. So let us know if you want more specifics.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 05:36 AM

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the possibility of visiting NZ while you're in Australia. Yes the travel will eat up some time, but so will flying up to Cairns, which isnt that much further away than is NZ. If you do go to NZ, I would suggest taking one of the direct Sydney-Queenstown flights, which I believe operate a couple of time per week. Queenstown is in the heart of the more mountainous South Island and the main hub for outdoorsy adventures.

Having said all that, you really should consider making the most of your Australian base in Melbourne, e.g., driving the Great Ocean Rd, seeing the Grampians, the wine country, etc. And instead of NZ or the GBR, why not take the short (and cheaper) hop over to Tasmania? Tassie is quite mountainous with spectacular coastlines and wilderness areas. For me it was quite reminiscent of NZ.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

OK, I was thinking it would be a bit rushed to do NZ and GBR. Thanks for the helpful input!

Now I am thinking fly to Melbourne, trek around there for 5 days.
Then fly to Sydney for 3 days.
Then fly (train?) up north to check out the reef for 4 days. Any suggestions on where to go to see the GBR?
Then fly back to Melbourne for about a week plus and check out the coast and wine country, maybe outdoor activities?

Thanks again for all your help! I know very little about the land down under but I am quickly learning!
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM

Going by train to GBR will take a loooooong time as it is a very great distance. So flying is the best way for you. You would fly to Cairns and I recommend you stay in nearby Port Douglas.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM

DenverDooner sounds like you need a good guidebook! Lonely Planet are probably the most detailed. This might help you with the scale of the country, it compares Australia to the US and Europe:

http://www.ga.gov.au/education/geosc...e-compared.jsp
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 07:31 PM

If you are from Denver, DenverDooner, then going to the south of NZ will not do that much for you seeing you live in one of the most magnificent and scenic States in the USA. I would be going to the GBR myself because in fact from a wind and water point of view it really is the best time to be there - if there is not a rain depression that is. It will be lush and green and all the beauty of the tropics will be in full form then.
Old Aug 21st, 2010, 09:16 PM

Lookat this thread for advice about cairns.

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...ve-cruises.cfm
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:37 AM

"If you are from Denver, DenverDooner, then going to the south of NZ will not do that much for you"

Except for the fact that NZ is an island nation, whereas Colorado is thousands of miles from the ocean. That's part of NZ's appeal, the juxtaposition of ocean and snow covered mountains jutting out of the sea. Tassie to a certain extent as well.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 02:29 PM

Agree with the folks who suggest you're trying to do too much with a visit to Melbourne, Syd, GBR and NZ! It's a lot. If you do end up Brisbane way, this is a great site for info on what's happening in that town http://www.bnehotornot.com/

I know you're not looking for accommodation in Melbourne, but this short stay apartment website has brilliant suggestions for what's on and what's worth seeing/doing. We stayed there for a week and tried out many of their restaurant/cafe/bar suggestions which were all spot on: http:apartmentalkira.com.au

Hope you have a great trip!
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

What about taking a boat to Tasmania for 3 days? I hear you can take the boat overnight.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Three days won't do Tasmania justice, why not explore the state of Victoria while you are there: Mornington Peninsula, Great Ocean Road etc.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:17 AM

Like everywhere else in the world there is lots to see and do here. Don't be tempted to "See everything but do nothing". Take your time and explore one or two main places in detail. There is plenty of wonderful places and variety within an hour or two of any of the capital cities. Great scenery, wineries, bike trails, walks etc.

Three days anywhere will be rushed and/or not worth the time and money to do it justice.

Remember too, that is is our summer and a week of 30-40C is not uncommon. If you enjoy hot weather then it will not be a problem.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:49 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<If you are from Denver, DenverDooner, then going to the south of NZ will not do that much for you seeing you live in one of the most magnificent and scenic States in the USA>

Are you kidding me? I'm from Colorado and I've been to NZ at least nine times, and I still haven't gotten enough.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 08:16 AM

Isn't that sort of like saying "you're from California, don't bother going to any wineries?"
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 03:37 PM

"Isn't that sort of like saying "you're from California, don't bother going to any wineries?""
NO wine is different - I would not go to LA from sa Melbourne to look at the suburbs, but I would drink/taste the wine. I cannot remember now but where in Australia have you been mlgb? I just think its nice to see something different when you fly from one side of the World to the other, especially if its your first time there!
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Or is it like saying "you've seen one mountain you've seen them all?"

We are talking about the south of NZ aren't we? I've been there 6 or 7 times (lost count). If I though it was a waste after visiting Colorado, Torres del Paine, the Sierra Nevada, Glacier National Park, and Yosemite, I wouldn't have bothered to go back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -