trip to S Island in Feb 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are getting married on 1st of Feb and are coming to NZ on 7th of Feb. Flying into Auckland. And flying out of Auckland on 23rd.
We want to predominantly see only S.Island. the areas we definitely want to see are:
Queenstown (we are both adventure fans)
Glacier
kaikoura (will we sight whales in Feb?)
Abel Tasman National Park
We need help in itinerary planning and accomodations at all these places.
We are looking at accomodation at around NZ$ 150 including BF.
Pls advise.

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 01:31 PM

The Scenic Circle hotels worked for me; generally in your price range and well located. The one in Queenstown is an easy walk into ton (uphill going back however).

Lots of booking places in downtown available to set up your boatrides, hikes, bungee jumps, etc. though you can do a lot on the Internet in advance.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Will check the same. We also viewed some cottage options. How good are these? There are plenty of options all over S Isle, so we are getting a little confused.
Can you also pls advise on what the normal cancellation policy is?
rgds,
Maha
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a big fan of cottage rentals!

Most cottages are self-contained and offer more space and privacy than the average hotel/motel (full kitchen, living and dining areas, one or two bedrooms, private yard and/or deck, etc).

They're usually privately owned and maintained; quality and amenties can vary significantly.

In my experience, private rentals tend to have strict cancellation policies, but again, this will vary from owner to owner.

Some cottages require minimum stays of anywhere from 3 nights to a week.

NZ is a great place to experience some unique lodging options and to meet some incredibly friendly people.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Also need some advice on whether the itinerary we have finalised is feasible:
We are flying via KL to Auckland. But we predominantly want to see only S Island. So we are looking at
Nelson-3 nights (See Abel Tasman)
Glacier region- 3 nights
QT- 2 nights
Te Anau- 2 nights
Back to CH and fly to auckland as we depart from there as well.
We would also ideally want to go whale watching in Kaikoura but don't know how to fit it in...pls advice.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 03:03 AM

Your itinerary is feasible, but you have some long drives between destinations. For instance it's 469 km from Nelson to Franz Josef - Fox is even further. In NZ it generally takes longer than you might think to get from point A to point B. The roads are mostly two lane, rather narrow and they can get a bit squiggly.

It's 424 km from CH to Nelson - we drove this route on our first visit to the SI and it took us 9 hours with stops and yes, there are lots of places to stop.

If you're set on Kaikoura, perhaps you could spend your first night in Kaikoura, then head to Nelson for the next two. This would cut your drive time to Nelson.

It takes a good six hours to drive from the glaciers to QT. It's certainly doable - we've done it several times - just be sure to get an early start so you can stop along the way.

Nelson is a good base for Abel Tasman, but if you plan to spend more than one day there, you might consider staying closer - Marahau, Kaiteriteri or Motueka are possibilities.

Have you considered flying from QT back to CH to make your connection to Auckland? We usually do this to save drive time and it gives us more time to spend elsewhere.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Dear Melnq8,
thanks for the quick reply!
The problem I have here is that my fiance cant drive! I have repeatedly heard everybody recommend that we drive around S Island, but is it possible for me to cover these long distances alone? Or is there any other means of transport? (Train/bus/flight)
rgds,
Maha
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Another thought....hope we are not bothering you too much, is it possible to rework the itinerary like this?
7th- Arrive at Auckland
7th- Take another flight to Nelson (Is there a flight to Nelson?)
8th & 9th- Spend at Nelson, see Abel Tasman and Kaikoura 1 day each
10th- Proceed to CH
10th- Take the Glacier express to FJ
11th and 12 th - Stay in glacier region
13th- Proceed to Milford Sound, stay over night at Te Anau
14th- Continue at Te Anau
15th- Proceed to QT
16th & 17th- Stay at QT
We still have another 3 days to get back to Auckland before flying out....again same question- is this possible?
rgds,
Maha
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 02:29 PM

No bother at all Maha.

Driving is definitely the best way to see NZ. It's certainly possible for one person to do all the driving (my husband does), but you'd be wise to take plenty of breaks. There's so much to see and do along the way, that you'll porbably find yourself wanting to stop at every opportunity anyway.

There are some trains in NZ, but from what I understand they're limited - here's a site that might help:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/--s...s/train-tours/

Bus is a possibility too, but you'll have less flexibility and will be at the mercy of the bus schedules:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/--s...oach-services/

Do you live in KL? If so, you're already ahead of the game, as you'll be accustomed to driving on the left.

Yes, there are direct flights to Nelson from Auckland and CH. Air NZ and Origin Pacific Airways both fly to Nelson.

Regarding your revised itinerary -

Franz Josef to Milford Sound is 678 kms - close to 9 hours - you'll reach Te Anau first (560 kms from Franz Josef, about 7 hours). I would NOT suggest you try to reach Milford in one day. Even if you did, you'd have no time left for a cruise or to see the area.

Have you considered reversing your itinerary? How about something like this -

Arrive Auckland - fly to QT via CH

Three nights QT

Drive QT to Te Anau (2:00) - one night

Drive Te Anau to Milford (2:15) spend day in Milford, return to Te Anau for the night

Drive Te Anau to Wanaka (3:25) - spend one night

Drive Wanaka to glaciers (3:35) - spend 2-3 nights

Drive glaciers to Greymouth (2:15) - take Tranz Scenic to CH or continue driving to CH (5:30) - 1 night CH

Drive CH to Kaikoura (2:15) - spend day whale watching - stay one night

Drive Kaikoura to Nelson (3:00) - spend 2-3 nights in the area - Abel Tasman, etc

Fly Nelson-Auckland

If you still have extra nights, suggest you spend another one at the glaciers and/or Nelson area. LOTS to see and do around here.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse matters further.

This site provides travel distances and times in NZ and I've found it to be pretty accurate:

http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/distances2.html
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

This is just great! Thanks so much! We are from India, and yes am used to driving on the left! But then am also not used to any traffic rules (You will understand what I mean if you have been to India sometime)Anyhow now I feel I can drive around....and thats really great news coz I really am the kind who will feel miserable if I cant stop at the places I want to!
We wouldn't mind reversing the itinerary at all. I presume what you have indicated is the time of travel between the places?
Will revert after I check all the links you have provided. Thanks agin!
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 11:32 PM

Yes, I understand what you mean about "no traffic rules". I live in Indonesia and it's pretty much a free for all around here.

Suggest you brush up on NZ traffic laws before you set out to prevent any surprises.

Yes, the numbers in the () indicate approximate drive times.

Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Will def'ly brush on the traffic laws! Didn't knw indonesia was similar to us...
Coming back to the itinerary, Do you think we could fit in Arthur's Pass as well, heard that it was beautiful drive thru ...
Also any suggestions for accomodation? Scenic hotels are already full...
rgds,
Maha
Old Dec 22nd, 2006, 11:53 PM

The Tranz Alpine goes to CH via Arthur's Pass. If you choose to drive from Greymouth to CH, you'll go over Arthur's Pass.

It's been years since we took the train, so I can't really compare the route of the train to the drive route, but either way you'll experience Arthur's Pass.

As far as accommodation, there's a chain called Bella Vista that has locations in most of the places you plan to visit. Here's their site:

www.bellavistamotels.co.nz

Will try to post more suggestions a bit later.
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:07 AM

Okay, on to lodging - in QT we've stayed at the Bella Vista Motel, Villa Del Lago, The Lofts and the A-line Hotel (Scenic Circle). They were all fine, but The Lofts was years ago, so can't give a current rec. The A-Line was nice, but we had issues with road noise as our room faced the road. Bella Vista was in a nice location near the gondola and walking distance to town, rooms a bit small, but price was right. Villa Del Lago was our favorite and we've stayed there more than once - it's not walking distance to town though.

www.villadellago.co.nz
www.innz.co.nz/host/l/thelofts.html

In Te Anau, we liked the Explorer Lodge -

www.innz.co.nz/host/l/thelofts.html

In Franz Josef we liked Punga Grove - www.pungagrove.co.nz. We've also stayed at Bella Vista, but once again, rooms a bit small.

In Fox Glacier, we liked the Lake Matheson Motel - www.lakemathesonmotel.co.nz.

Haven't stayed in Nelson for years, but I can recommend a few spots near Abel Tasman - The Blue Moon B&B is located in Riwaka, near Motukea and a short drive from the entrance to Abel Tasman at Marahau - www.thebluemoon.co.nz

We really liked the Old Schoolhouse, which is located in Tasman, between Nelson and Motueka - this is one of those cottages discussed earlier -

http://www.cottagestays.co.nz/oldsch...se/cottage.htm

We've also stayed in Ruby Bay, near Mapua, which is located between Nelson and Motueka - liked this place as well - a villa - www.almyra.co.nz

Sorry, can't help with Kiakoura or Wanaka.

This sites might help -

http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/abeltasman.html
www.cottagestays.co.nz
www.holidayhouses.co.nz
www.holidayhomes.co.nz
www.kiwinests.co.nz
www.inns.co.nz/
www.accommodation-new-zealand.co.nz/
www.placestostay.co.nz/
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 02:09 AM

Oops, that site for Explorer Lodge should be -
www.explorerlodge.co.nz/
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:26 PM

We followed Melnq8's suggested itiniery ( in reverse) and flew back from Queenstown to Christchurch. A great tip as it gave us an extra night at Fox and therefore greater flexability with the weather and also allowed us time for the overnight on Doubtful Sound - a highlight for me. We took the train Christchurch to Greymouth which goes through Arthur's Pass. If you are driving from Glaciers to Wanaka you will go through Haast Pass which I felt was as spectacular. Thanks Melnq8 for your advice - I will get to the full trip report asap. Recommend the Dart River Safari when in Queenstown ( leaves from Glenorchy).
Old Dec 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM

Wallos- glad I could help - looking forward to that trip report!
Old Dec 25th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Melnq8! Will check on all the links and revert asap.
And wallos I shall look fwd to the trip report as well, am sure I will find loads of tips ther!
rgds,
Maha
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Any idea on whether an Indian Driving License is valid in NZ?
rgds,
Maha
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 08:41 AM

If it is written or translated in English it is allowed. But see the ltsa website for more info on driving in NZ

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

There are some odd driving rules and pavement markings in NZ that you probably won't have run into elsewhere. The strangest one is to yield to the person turning right (across all lanes of traffic) unless otherwise posted. Also watch out for the yellow dashed line along the curb, it means no stopping/parking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -