Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Travelling then teaching in Australia - any words of wisdom?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I've just finished my first year of teaching and was hoping for some advice. Basically, my ultimate plan is to travel and end up teaching in Australia.

The ideal plan would be:
Fly to South America, travel for a couple of months, fly to Australia and try to find a teaching job.

My questions are:
How easy would this be to do? Would I need to find a teaching post beforehand or is it do-able to turn up and apply for jobs?

When would you recommend doing this? (Ie. is there a time of year when job advertisements increase?)

Would I need to organise a visa beforehand?

I am a qualified secondary school English teacher and I'm 24 - I've done a little travelling before but not in this way - any advice would be hugely appreciated. I've checked other posts but nothing matches this.

Rachel x
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM

What nationality are you, if you are from a Commonwealth country or a lot of European countries then there is working holiday visa for 1 year

Other visas can be difficult to get unless you have a specific skill that an employer is willing to sponsor you or you apply independently for permanent residency but you may have a lack of experience at this point in time
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 03:54 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a shortage of teachers here in Western Australia. These sites might help get you started:

http://det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa/detc...cle-id-4081478

http://det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa/detcms/portal/

Term 1 starts in late January early February - that's the beginning of the new school year here.
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must have a visa that allows you to work before you arrive in Australia. If you don't and immigration think you might work (they find your CV or printouts about jobs for example) they will put you on the next plane home.

I would look into any visas you can get from your home country and check out jobs online at the same time. Don't assume though that if there are jobs, you would be able to get one, there will always be competition.

Check out the Thorn Tree forum on www.lonelyplanet.com as there will be others who have posted similar questions. Also I am almost certain you cannot change your visa status while you are here, you'd have to go back home to do that and return (eg from tourist visa to working visa).

Good luck with it, we lived overseas for years and it was amazing. Just make sure you arrive with the right paperwork. Here is the immigration/visa website -
http://www.immi.gov.au/

Kay
Old Jun 19th, 2013, 11:58 PM

Are you mad? I wouldn't teach here if they paid me!

Actually, come to think of it, I do teach here and they do pay me and I am mad.

Western Australia has the highest paid teachers then NSW, then Victoria. There is not a shortage of English teachers as such but there are still plenty of jobs around. Young teachers are often preferred as you can almost get two of them for one of me.

You will have to apply to each individual school when they advertise. There is no central employment section any more, but there is a central listing of jobs.

You will have more luck in towns and in the outer suburbs rather than the city. The outer suburbs and regional towns can be rough, which is why there is a shortage of teachers there. Given your lack of experience I would start in the private schools. There are many that are Catholic or Anglican that are not for the high and mighty, but have a clientele more willing to learn.

The other alternative is to do Casual Relief Teaching (CRT). There are some agencies that can get you jobs in the cities, but generally you will have to apply to each individual school.

Term two and Term three - April to September - are the best for CRTs because that is when we get winter illnesses and often the subject based conferences.

Unless you really have a passion for education and kids, I would find another career. It is an underpaid, overworked job for someone who just wants to earn while travelling. You would be better off doing other casual jobs and moving around unless you really want to spend your time in one small art of the country. You might find it more rewarding to teach in South America or Africa etc. if teaching is your passion

The other alternative is that as you are already teaching in a school, is to do an exchange. They teach at your school for a year and you teach at theirs. There are several of these programmes.

A hint - walk around the school and look at the condition of the grounds and buildings likewise drive around the town - not the main street but the residential streets. If there is litter, graffiti or damage it will give you a very clear idea of what the students are like and how they will treat you.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 04:41 AM

I am also a teacher and work in South Australia. To teach here you need to be a registered teacher, have approved first aid certification and current mantatory notification training. They are fussy about the first aid course that you do. TRT (same as CRT) is readily available but contracts are trickier and you need to be in the system.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 03:15 PM

Interesting. You don't need a first aid certificate for Victoria, but you do need a police check. Mandatory reporting training is done but I'm not sure if you have to have it before starting. If you do, it is online and if you have half a brain you can skip the info and go straight to the test and do it in about 10 minutes.
Old Jun 20th, 2013, 08:54 PM

In Sa you need a police check as well, of course. Mandatory training can also be done online but parts cant be skipped, which I think is a good thing actually.