Reload this Page >

Travel Agent - legit or not

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 1999, 12:58 PM
Tracey

Has anyone used this webpage: <BR>http://www.maui.net/~fiji/. They are called "Fiji Escapes Travel" or "McCoy Travel" based in Hawaii or any other webpage to book their Fiji vacation? I am planning a trip thru them and I am kind of worried that they are not legit. I don't feel that comfortable just talking to someone on the phone and making the reservations rather then talking to them face to face (like a travel agent around where I live). They seem to have the best prices too. Please help!

Old Dec 24th, 1999, 10:01 AM
Louis

If you are uncomfortable, why bother with a travel agent at all. Just decide where you want to go. Then contact the hotel or resort directly. Most have US hotel reps. Also, most all can provide the best round trip air fares from LA to Fiji. They are better than you can get booking directly with Air Pacific or Air New Zealand. Air Pacific is half owned by Quantas and we always use it. It is easy to travel in Fiji. Lots of help and everybody speaks English. We tend to book a package directly with the hotel. Also, I have gotten very good rates dealing directly with Blue Lagoon Cruises. Most US travel agents know little about Fiji and will mostly book a package from one the middle men. <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 09:24 AM
Tracey

Well these people send people to Fiji all the time and I don't think that we can get such good deal if we call the resorts directly. We are planning to stay at Namale from Sunday to Sunday and then move on to the Hideaway Resort for 3-4 days and then head home. He quoted us ~7000 for the 2 of us for the whole trip, which includes food, drinks, activities in Namale. I didn't think that I could get better rates then that. If you think that I can please let me know, I have not booked yet. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all your help!

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 02:14 PM
Louis

My prior comments were based on your uneasy feelings about "Fiji Escapes Travel". I did not imply that you would be able to get a better price by going direct. However, it is generally possible to meet most package prices if you can one way or another get the block airfare rates which both Air Pacific and Air New Zealand provide to resorts and travel companies. For your benefit, I contacted the Namale Resort Hotel Rep. with is also in San Diego where I live. They indicate that they book space with "Fiji Escape Travel/McCoy Travel" all the time. They did not indicate any problems with them. You can talk to the hotel rep. yourself at 1-800-727-FIJI about this agency. Make certain that all the air is covered in Fiji. There is an hour local flight. Also, the VAT is 10% in Fiji and make certain that it is included. The departure tax, which is modest will not be covered. Have a nice trip. The $7000 price look fair as 7 nights at Namale including VAT should run around $5,000 in one of the less expensive bures. Namale is a class resort and they are going to keep the rates the same through the off season.

Old Dec 27th, 1999, 02:36 PM
Louis

In the prior posting I forgot to mention that the Namale Rep only books room space and does not have any other travel services. They did say that they could give names of other Travel Companies that provide Namale Fiji packages. Remember, Namale can handle only 20 guests so, unless you are very flexible as to dates of travel, you need to get firm reservations as early as possible.

Old Dec 28th, 1999, 07:19 AM
Tracey

Louis, <BR> <BR>Thank you so much for doing that. You have put my head at ease. When I call the rep back at McCoy Travel I will have to make sure that the VAT is included too in the price. I think that it is but I am not exactly sure so I will double check that before I definately book. Yes, I know that Namale is a small place and we need to book early so I will work on that today. Thanks again for all your help and have a great new years.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 05:30 PM
Peggy

Tracey, <BR>I booked with McCoy (Fiji Reservations) last year for Namale. They were great. Sue was our agent. It was the only time I came home to find a beautiful tapia cloth covered photograph book & welcome home card from a travel agency! The agents there had also been recently to the resorts unlike any of our local agents (some of whom actually call me for info!) They (Fiji Reservations)actually booked through South Pacific Holidays that handles Namale. I also booked Turtle Island straight through South Pacific Holidays. I have found they all seem to ultimately go to the same one or two sources. They had the best packages rates. At other times I have booked direct with the hotels (Cook Islands)like Louis suggested since some of the big outfits were not converting to the current conversion rate (new Zealand dollar)& were charging alot more than going direct. So it just depends. You sound like you got a great rate. We paid about $8600 for 8 nights at Namale form LAX but in the Honeymoon Bure Nanise. You are going to have a wonderful time! It is so romantic. Enjoy & rest assured the agency is legit. With that much money on the line though, take our travel insurance.