Reload this Page >

TransAlpine or Main Road 73

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Andrade

I will be visiting New Zealand in the next Summer and I am planning to go zig-zaging by car starting from Aukland all the way down to Queenstown.One leg would be from Greymounth to Christchurch.I wonder if the main road 73 is as safe and as interesting as it is the TransAlpine railway to cross the Alps? One last question: is it recomendable to keep the same car when I cross from one island to the other by ferry? <BR>Many Thanks. <BR>Jose Andrade <BR>Sao Paulo-Brasil

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Jane

Andrade: I haven't been yet--going later in the year--but I think you MUST turn in your car rental before traveling from one island to the other. Do you have access to the "Lonely Planet" books? I have found the NZ one to be very useful in planning my trip even though I am not a "backpacker"

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:51 AM
harry windsor

Message, <BR>I have been both ways. The road is safe during summer months but I wouldnt advise in winter unles you first check with road authorities. Can be icy and snow in parts. The rail journey is "ok" but driving around the island is a better way with the train trip a side adventure for a day. Change cars cheaper and easier.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 03:51 PM
sonia

Hi <BR> <BR>You will very likely HAVE TO change cars as most rental companies require this...and it is far cheaper anyway to go as a foot passenger than take cars (also there are very limited car spaces in ferry). If you have a lot of baggage to swap over from car to ferry to car again, make sure you get to the dock quite early to give yourself enough time to unpack and return the car! I left it very late and actually had to keep the ferry waiting for a couple of minutes (NZers are very accomodating!!) <BR> <BR>I have done the TRanzAlpine trip and it was fun but I didnt have a car and wanted to do something different. I would forget the train trip and do it by car. The drive is no problem as long as you are not a nervous driver and obey all the speed signs on the bends as they are a good guide as to tightness and steepness of curves.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:14 PM
marg

We hired a car in NZ about 18 months ago and the car rental company required us to take the car on the ferry rather than turn in one car and pick up another in Picton. The ferry was no hassle - easy on and off and the scenery is great. <BR>The drive through Arthur's Pass is spectacular whether you do it by car or train.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Ross

Hi Andrade; <BR> <BR>The trip through Arthur's Pass by car is lovely, safe and highly recommended. My wife and I drove it when we visited NZ a couple of years ago. If you're driving anyway, and you'll be there in summer, there's no reason whatever to abandon the car for this leg of the route. We stopped a number of times along the way from Christchurch to the west coast, which of course you can't really do if you take the train.