Search

tour groups

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM
vjf
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tour groups

Does anyone have suggestions of good one day tour operators. We will have one day on the Barrier Reef and one day at the Rainforest. There are so many different options for these tours it is very confusing as to which tour to book. I have two teenagers who will be traveling. We are staying in Cairns in July.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:19 PM

There are a lot of different suggestions and experiences in some of the threads here. In particular, Pat Woolford and Saltarius know that area well and can give you great advice.

A little more info might be helpful. Are you saying you want a one day tour operator for the rainforest one day and a one day excursion out on the reef? And what are your main interests?

To the rainforest, is it wildlife, waterfalls, hiking, etc? To the reef do you snorkel or do you dive? Or is it a mix in the party?

I've heard really good things about Calypso for the reef tours, and I think people have reported back on their trip reports that they really enjoyed it. Search for Calypso and Quiksilver to get different viewpoints of them.

If you like wildlife, and want to go out to the Atherton Tablelands I can personally recommend Alan Gillander as we really enjoyed our time with him. He can take you out into the rainforest, day and night tours, and point out tons of wildlife. He is at: Alan Gillander www.alanswildlifetours.com.au

I'm going to also cut and paste from one of Pat's postings to someone else's inquiry:

Cape Tribulation day trips include parts of Daintree World Heritage Rainforest, and these are available from Palm Cove - a good one is www.billytea.com.au

there's tons of nature based things to do; if you like walking check out www.cairnswildernesswalks.com with very small groups - Margaret is a terrific guide; you shouldn't miss the Atherton Tablelands either - see www.wildernessecosafaris.com
And of course, the Kuranda Train/Skyrail - Skyrail shuttle picks up at Palm Cove accommodations.

I hope this helps, but the real experts will be on soon for more info.
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 04:34 PM

vjf,
what do you want out of the day?

As much wildlife as possible?
As much information as possible?
Lots of scenery?
Special animals like platypus and tree-kangaroos?
A personalised dexperience?
A group of people to talk to so you get a break form those you are with?
Old Feb 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM

hi vjf,

I do agree with Toucan regarding Calypso, but its out of Port Douglas, not Cairns, although transfers are available at a cost of course.

For a family with teenagers, Reef Magic is a great reef trip from Cairns - it does have a pontoon but its not nearly the size of Quicksilver's out of PD. Reef Magic has a new, faster, boat and gives you 5 hours on the outer reef on a superb reef site. Whilst it caters to snorkellers and divers (introductory or certified) the divers do not impact snorkellers at all - there's a designated dive platform on the pontoon. Also has semi-submersible, glass bottom boat and underwater viewing platform on pontoon. www.reefmagiccruises.com

Am not surprised you're finding t rainforest tour options confusing; there's now about 50 operators servicing Daintree. But check Saltuarius' questions first to narrow the field down.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 02:04 AM
vjf
Original Poster

I have found a tour I think is going to work with Ocean Freedom has anyone been on this boat and an hoping to hear its a good experience. Am still looking for the right train/skycar rainforest day trip. Any other suggestions with be great. Ideally woudl like a smaller tour but do want to do the train/cablecar day.