Choosing a reef tour for non-swimmers?

Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Choosing a reef tour for non-swimmers?

As part of my Australia trip in late September, I'll be spending a few days in Cairns. I'd like to go to the Great Barrier Reef on a day tour, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices. I know many posts have recommended smaller operators, but I need a company that caters to non-swimmers. So far, I'm curious about Great Adventures, Reef Magic, and Quicksilver. Does anyone have any recommendations among these three, or have any other suggestions? Thanks so much!!!
Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM

This issue of the reef for a non-swimmer came up recently. Use the search function above to find the previous discussion, that person was very happy with the operator they used.
Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

Just brought the post Susan7 is reffering to the top, thistlewhite - half the time I can't make the search function here work.

The three reef trips you mention are all snorkelling from pontoons and all have glass bottom boats and semi-submersibles for those who truly do not want to get wet. Have been on all three and prefer Reef Magic, it takes less people,has a pristine outer reef site and gives more time on reef. Quicksilver is out of Port Douglas, not Cairns, although coach transfers to and from Cairns are available - it also takes sometimes over 400 people.

Passions of Paradise, as described in verbalst's post goes to sheltered waters of Michaelmas Cay on outer reef (just like entering water from a sandy beach) and on to another reef site where snorkelling is off the side of boat. You might also be interested in Ocean Spirit to Michaelmas Cay, the boat stays moored off the sand cay all day and has a semi-submersible.

Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and advice! Susan7, I'm glad to know that other non-swimmers have done this and had such great experiences (and thanks also for letting me know about the search function- I'm very new to this forum). And Pat_Woolford, it's great to hear from someone who has tried several operators, and to get details about them; that's incredibly helpful. Thank you both again!
Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:40 PM

Thistlewhite, Pat W lives in Cairns and is a great source of reliable information about the area.
Sep 5th, 2008, 02:45 AM

Hello Thistlewhite - further to the post that Pat topped for you I have now posted the original post that was discussed - it involved a number of us who were frightened at just the thought of snorkelling...so I hope if you read all the way you will be inspired and overcome your hesitations and really enjoy the beauty below!
Sep 5th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Sorry Thistlewhite I meant to say that I have topped that post for you.