Search

Tour companies in Sydney

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour companies in Sydney

Has anyone ever used or know of a tour company called Australian Wild Escapes? They advertise SMALL group tours around Sydney, Blue Mountains, Melbourne, etc. Wondered if anyone has any experience with them. Any other suggestions for companies that run a FIRST CLASS - SMALL GROUP tour of Sydney, Blue Mountains, environs, etc.?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Hi, mover!

I have no personal experience with any tour group, but would strongly suggest that, wherever possible, you "do it yourself" while you're in Sydney, as it's easy to get around, you'll have no language problems, there's ample public transport, and people are generally helpful. The Blue Mountains, for instance, can be reached in two hours by a train I take almost every day... the price is a tiny fraction of what the tour companies charge. With tour companies, you move at the speed of the slowest traveller (a lot of time waiting at "rest" stops!), you see only what the tour companies find is the easiest-access scenery, they stay away from any place where they have to pay for parking or where they might be sued if someone tripped over and broke their glasses, and a great deal of your day is spent dining at restaurants or visiting souvenir centres where the company gets a "kick back". With the help of the many experts on this site, you will be able to plan a trip to Australia with all the advantages of a conducted tour and none of the drawbacks. Good luck!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM

Whilst I think Alan is right if you have plenty of time to wander around if you are on a bit of a time restraint I think the use of a tour company could be helpful. I know that when I travel I sometimes like to do a tour the first day of some of the hotspots and then revisit places at a more leisurely pace over the course of my holiday. Tours can also be invaluable for giving you information on the spot that you can't pick up from guide books, or answering questions you may have when a Fodorite is not on hand! Can't comment on the tour groups though - sorry.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan and Daneille. I have to agree with Daneille. In my travels, I have found that a GOOD tour guide can add a lot to an initial visit. So, I am still looking for a GOOD small group tour guide. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 01:51 AM

Mover
I know of someone who may show you around sydney and environs.
Non commercial basis.
E-mail if you are interested.