Search

Top End Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Top End Itinerary

Greetings

We arrive in Darwin PM on May 4. We Take off early AM on May 10.

In planning our trip to Kakadu, Does it make sense to start at Cooinda ( where we think to spend one night and catch a dawn Yellow Waters cruise) or start at Jabiru where we plan to stay 3 nights (see rock art, E. Alligator River trip and perhaps day tour over Arnhem Land border) or vice versa?

Thanks for the opinions of folks who've done this or from anyone else who'd like to add their 2 cents.

AndrewDavid

PS Moderate price hotel suggestions, anyone? Or other touring suggestions; we'll have 2 WD wheels? Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:19 PM

Jabiru is a small town with hotel, camping ground with cabins, at least two restaurants, supermarket and a few shops. Cooinda has only a motel/camping ground. We stayed at Kakadu Lodge and Caravan Park in Jabiru (telephone 08 8979 2422, fax 08 8979 2254)- good facilities, swimming pool, restaurant and bar, barbecues etc., and very clean. They have cabins and a lodge.
Cooinda is only about 40 km from Jabiru so it would only take you 30 minutes to drive to Yellow Waters. I'd recommend either a very early morning cruise or late afternoon.
The rock art at Nourlangie Rock is spectacular.
Kakadu visitors centre is near Jabiru.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Dear Marg,
Thanks for your information. Is the Kakdu Lodge now the Aurora Kakdu Lodge? Does the AllSeasons Frontier Motel still exist?

Did you drive around w/ 2 wheels or 4?

AndrewDavid
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:34 PM

Andrew,
sorry, can't tell you if the Aurora Kakadu Lodge is the new name for the place we stayed at.
From memory, there is a motel near the northern entrance to Kakadu which may be the Frontier Motel.
We drove a 2WD vehicle. The roads to the main tourist areas are all bitumen. You can take a 4WD tour into places like Jim Jim Falls. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:16 AM

Sounds like you are planning to see Kakadu independently. IMHO - I'm a do it yourself sort of person too - but Kakadu is one of those places you will get much closer to with a guide. Honest!
It's possible just to see and enjoy - but Kadadu is World Heritage listed not only for it's natural beauty but for its cultural associations. And the natural environment gains something if there is someoneeven
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:23 AM

Message: Sounds like you are planning to see Kakadu independently. IMHO - I'm a do it yourself sort of person too - but Kakadu is one of those places you will get much closer to with a guide. Honest!
It's possible just to see and enjoy - but Kadadu is World Heritage listed not only for it's natural beauty but for its cultural associations. And the natural environment gains something if there is someone there to explain the uses of some of the plants; and the stories behind the wall paintings, etc., etc.
Just a thought.

Sorry to post twice - this is such a sensitive site - I guess it must be cos I hit the keys so damn hard.

Have an amazing time ..

Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM

Alice,

Regarding tours, most of them require you to go camping (besides Jim Jim/Twin Falls), since Kakadu is a multi-day experience. I'm also planning on driving ourselves to Jabiru, basing there, and spending 3 days in Kakadu. We'll use 1 day for a Jim Jim via 4WD tour. We'll be driving/touring Ubiir and Cooinda on own, though.

Did you know of a multi-day tour that does the same as above, but still lets you stay at, say, the Gagudgu Lodge in Jabiru?

After Kakadu, we're planning on visiting Katherine Gorge and Litchfield NP. As such, a car (and plenty of km's) will be necessary.

Thanks,
Dave.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Alice13
Thanks for your comment. We thought we'd get ourselves point to point and then see if we could pick up any guided walks/tours when there. I believe foor the day trip into Arnhemland we will need a tour and think of both boat trips ( Yellow Water and E. Alligator River) as guided w/ good insights. Are there ranger lead walks to some of the rock art sites?

Thanks to Alice and anyone else who has traveled or has opinions on Top End touring.

AndrewDavid