Thermal parks in Rotorua

Apr 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thermal parks in Rotorua

Would like some information on which is the best thermal park to visit in Rotorua and which are the other must see attractions.
Apr 13th, 2005, 11:26 AM

We compared information and decided to visit Waiotapu, which is a few miles south of Rotorua on the way to Taupo.
www.geyserland.co.nz/

You'll also see geothermal stuff around town; my dh got some pretty cool pictures in Kuirau Park, where there was a small eruption about five years ago. community.webshots.com/user/ElendilPickle

We spent a little while at Ohinemutu, a traditional Maori area on the shore of Lake Rotorua. You can visit St. Faith's Anglican Church, see above-ground tombs, and talk to craftsmen in the gift shop.

If you plan to do a hangi, we really enjoyed the Mai Ora concert and hangi at the NZ Maori Arts and Crafts Institute at Te Whakarewarewa. www.nzmaori.co.nz/thermal.htm

Lee Ann
Apr 13th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Jed

Frommers says that Waitapu is the best - and it was very good. Also, we did just the first 2 loops as advised.
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Welcome back Jed. Can we look forward to a trip report soon?
Apr 14th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Jed

Thanks, Melnq. I already started my "NZ trip report." More to come.
Apr 14th, 2005, 05:33 PM

We went to both Wai-o-tapu and Whakarewarewa and enjoyed both of them. They are not the same and I'd advise going to both of them if you have time.
We pretty well did saw as much of them as possible and didn't feel that it was just more of the same.
As Lee Ann says, also at Whakarewarewa, you can see the Maori Arts and crafts centre and they also put on a Maori show during the day.