THE RUSSELL HOTEL

Mar 26th, 2002, 11:30 AM
SNC

THE RUSSELL HOTEL

I'm going to Australia in May for 2 weeks and I am booked at the Russell Hotel. I've heard very mixed reviews on this hotel. Can anyone shed light on if this hotel is worth staying at. I appreciate any advice you'd like to give. Thanks !!

Mar 26th, 2002, 11:36 AM
toss

There has been one detracter who has not made his views known, except in a snide spiteful way against another poster. However the greater % have loved it.

Mar 26th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Sydney

Here is a web site for the Russell - which incidently is in about the best location you can get in Sydney. Very small, boutique hotel
http://www.therocks.com.au/accomodation/russell/

Mar 26th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Alan

I must have missed that one "detractor"... did he give his email address, I wonder? What I have NOT missed is something like twenty rave reviews of this hotel in the last four months... in fact, the reviews were so good that I just had to walk down that way one day to check it out for myself. It probably isn't a choice for the Australia-on-a-shoestring traveller, but for those who want a great location and a genuine heritage Aussie building, this would have to be the number one choice. It's a tiny place, just two storeys, and therefore in no way resembles the Hyatts and the Furamas and the Holiday Inns and the Marriotts; but, as the previous poster says, it simply cannot be beaten for location by any other hotel in New South Wales.

Mar 31st, 2002, 07:31 PM
lcuy

My first trip to Sydney, we stayed at the Russell. Although very charming and a perfect location, it can be noisy. In addition to that, there was no AC so it was hot in February. We had to sleep with open windows and listen to cars and people coming and going below. Again, I liked it a lot, but you might ask for a room facing the courtyard rather than the streets.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:57 PM
depends

we considered the russell very seriously but then learned about the air con problem. we also emailed the hotel directly and they seemed to discourgae us (?). in any case- for the same price we booked the stanford court that used to be the ritz carlton- had an enormous old room overlooking the botanic gardens and one half block to the ferries. we spent some time in the rocks, but it was a bit too 'touristy" for us, and we found ourselves exploring many other parts of town.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:10 PM
theguy

This person is going in May which is just about winter. There is a great difference in cost between The Russell and the Carlton ritz ( STamford) and the Stamford is the same as any other Stamford anywhere in the world.