The Cost of things in Australia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having recently arrived for a 3 months stay we have nicely settled into an inner suburb of Melbourne. Although I consider myself a good savy shopper, and have found the local Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, and Safeway I am still astounded at the cost of things here in OZ. Since we live in New York City I didn't think I'd have sticker shock, but everything here, it seems, is so much more expensive than in the USA.
I'm beginning to learn that the taxes and tips are built in to the list cost and I'm happy your minimum wage is so much healthier than ours is, and maybe that explains it, because otherwise I was beginning to wonder how the average worker makes it here. Even the tram fares, and I've bought a Myki card, are so much higher, and taxi charges seem to multiply as you go down one block. Eating out for an everyday meal is way more than we"re used to, as I say, even in New York.
Any hints on how to make it more economical to live here?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM

You could try shopping at markets such as the Queen Victoria Market.

Plan ahead and buy in bulk.

I live in the country so can't offer any other help.

1 in 4 people don't pay their fare on trams and trains. You could be one of them.

Out of curiosity wht is the price difference on everday things like milk and meals especially now with parity?
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 07:04 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel your pain Marsha. We're in Perth, which I'm told is more expensive than the rest of Australia and we're on the US payroll, so we really feel the currency fluctuations.

A few hints:

Buy produce in season and buy only what you need. Greengrocers are abundant, so it's easy to make more than one trip a week to the market for fresh veg. Buy petrol on Mon & Tuesday, go to the movies on cheap day (in our case it's $8 on Wed instead of the usual $17.50), buy a large coffee instead of two regular ones, partake of coffee/cake specials in lieu of lunch or take advantage of late afternoon specials in CBD bakeries, etc. Shop at Asian markets when possible, watch the weekly specials at Woolies and Coles, limit your meals out, take your own wine to dinner, etc. Get a library card and/or only buy used books.

Other than food and wine, etc, I don't shop here, but that's no sacrafic for me as I'm not a big shopper anyway.

I don't know about Melb, but here you can get a better discount on bus/train passes by buying a smartcard, then registering and paying online.

Otherwise, all you can do is grin and bear it.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM

I would probably reduce taxi rides to a minimum - people here catch cabs as an exception and not a rule, unless they have a Cabcharge card from their employer (and even then the employer might get shirty if the privilege is abused).

Eat in more. Meals out - eat at lunchtimes and get the lunch menu, which is usually cheaper. Asian restaurants often have cheaper cuisine. Eat where students eat, in the suburbs where they eat. Shop at Aldi and just go to Coles and Safeway to buy the things Aldi doesn't stock. Or shop at markets like Peter Sale suggests. Don't expect greengrocers to be cheaper - they have to have premium stock to compete with the supermarkets and usually do a sideline in gourmet delicatesssen-type items. All very costly, lovely to buy but it does eat into the budget. Oh, and DVDs instead of going to the movies. Much cheaper!

Lavandula
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 08:34 PM

You might also like to try some of the service clubs for a meal. They're probably not as cheap as they used to be but places such as RSL's, Sporting Clubs etc all offer free membership and they all have free entertainment etc.

Our local RSL has a trivia night each week which can be fun - it's easy to make friends in that environment as the whole crowd is often involved.

Also pubs often have weekly specials such as Tuesday $15 steak night or buy one get one free and they often pan out to be quite good value. Check out your 'local' club or pub.

Cinemas can be expensive but look out for local independents. Our local cinema has a usual rate of about $8 which is more than half price of the 'big name cinemas'.

If you're shopping at Woolworths or Coles join the rewards program for the fuel discounts - usually about 4c per litre. Try to avoid buying fuel on the weekend - you'll pay top dollar.

There are some great cheap eats around you just need to ask and go looking.

I hope you have a great time here and let us know if you need help with anything else.
Old Oct 13th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the ideas! Some I've already tried but will be aware of special days, for movies, gas, etc. We're on a US payroll but also want to experience everything we can so we are just grinning and baring it but it was a big surprise, especially coming from NYC which is high anyway.

Will try to remember to look at the prices of milk, etc. to give a comparison. I know eggs, BANANAS!!! (I know about the flood)and even vegetables seemed really high.
More later....we're off for the weekend to the mountains outside of Melbourne.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM

I just returned from Melbourne this past Sunday. I live in California. Here are few prices from this weeks food ad.
Avocados 2/$1.00 Potatoes & Onions 4# $1.00, Peaches .97 pound, Lettuce .47 head,chicken quarters .97,porkchops thick cut $2.49#.,Salmom fresh whole $3.99#.,Bread 7 grain $1.99,OJ Pure large 59oz. 2 for $6.00.
I found food very high so I mainly ate at apartment and would grab a quick cup of coffee at The American Embassy (McDonalds) or Hungry Jack.
I know once I popped into a recommend place for their soup and was shocked at the $15.00 price per bowl. There is a Costco down at the docklands where you could stock up on some items in bulk. I found overall Woolworths was the best bet, coles did have some specials but a lot of stuff was quite a bit over Woolworths prices.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Our daughter who lives in Margaret River, WA is visiting us here in Ontario, Canada. She bought Margaret River wine here cheaper than she can get the same bottle back home. Who can understand the ins and outs of international trade?
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Yesterday I rode the tram (in an expensive neighborhood, and CBD)and was amazed to observe that out of 50 people entering the tram at front and back, on various trips, that only 10 (myself included!) swiped their cards!!!!!!!!!!! How does the system survive?.....we'd be hauled off or never let on in New York........ what to say?
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM

The Age has a Cheap Eats application that will help you track down the cheap and cheerful restaurants in Melbourne.

http://www.goodguides.com.au/sydney/...ex?linkid=1131

In Sydney there's a guidebook so perhaps you can find one for Melbourne in your local newsagent.

Also there's things you can do for free that you would pay for in the US: State Art Galleries for example (NGV), ACCA, Monash Art Gallery and so forth. It's a very cheap night out going to a gallery opening, there's usually free wine and sometimes canapes.

Look for free talks at the various cultural institutions in Melbourne. Get on to university mailing lists for these kinds of events in your areas of interest.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 03:39 PM

I also noticed that many people either did buy card of swipe the myki card - which I learned about the hard way trying to by a ticket on machine that only topped them up <G> however once I got it I just would buy either a short run ticket if that worked or a day one if I planned to be out all day. The reason the wine is more as I was told at more than one winery is the tax which is around 40-50% depending.
Try some of the ports they were great.
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 03:40 PM

that should be DID NOT swipe
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 08:02 PM

When the Australian $ was worth only 50 cents US it was a different matter but you have to look at the whole picture and not just a little bit. Incidently our medical/pharmacy cost are nowhere near yours and neither are our insurance costs for house insurance in places of danger i.e. hurricanes etc ( I have friends in Florida and the costs are dreadful ). Also we do not have a lot of the taxes that you have and plus our salaries are better overall. Also the costs of sending children to College/University does not require a house mortgage, expensive though they might be here. So there you have it.
It certainly could get worse for you as Americans as you try to pay off your 14 Trillion $ debt. Perhaps the cost of a banana will get a tad higher.
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Bananas should be a pretty fair price right now, as the current crop (up here, anyway) has recovered from the impact of Cyclone Yasi earlier in the year. Most of the crops (sugar cane/Bananas etc all got flattened, but all back to normal now) There ya' go...problem solved.

Mind you...I didn't find eating out in NY or even California all that cheap in comparison, and there's always that tipping aspect to take into account which can make it a tad exxie over there. Best value nosh you can usually get in OZ, is mostly found at the pubs, rather than restaurants.

Cheers, Marshcarlin, and I hope you really have a great time during your 3 month visit, nevertheless.
Old Oct 16th, 2011, 08:08 PM

Try the South Melbourne Market. And prices are lower at the Queen Victoria Market than at the South Melbourne Market. I've not been everywhere makes good points. Food costs more, health costs less. Which does not help a short term visitor much, I know.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 09:01 AM

I am flying to Norway today and I expect that for the time I am there I will not eat very much because of the high cost of food. But then it's a different country and the standard of living high as are the salaries so there you are.
It is always a surprise to me that Americans, in particular, compare other countries with their own as if one place on this planet is a standard to which all other countries should aspire.
Just take us as we are and be amazed or amused with the differences between the two countries. Australians are very well travelled and are well aware of costs elsewhere so can be of help to visitors to get the best buys here. So always ask the locals and do what they do and you will come out on top.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 03:59 AM

Hi Rick, I think you're from Cairns, am sure have seen you on Trip Advisor.

Good banana deal today at Johnnsons, just off Cpt Cook Hwy near Stratford - "from farmgate to you" - they do neglect to mention what part of the country the farm gate is in. Imagine there's some food miles racked up there with a lot of their produce. Anwyway, bananas from Lakeland Downs at $5.98 a kilo, and they are fantastic bananas, still a long way to go down yet in price, but its a start for a banana deprived country.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Bananas are $10.98 a kilo here in Perth. Better than $16.98 a kilo though! Most of ours come from Carnarvon, which had their own massive flood earlier this year. Wiped out the mangos too.
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 03:28 AM

Everyone's had good advice. I'm a Yank that's been here in Melbourne for close to 2 years. But I'm not on a USD plan, just a personal relo. And yes, there's definitely a price in food (and in Melbourne, housing with most of the US. Probably not so different than NYC or California though). As others have said, there are upsides that matter after a person is part of the system. But overall, Aussies I think spend more on basic items and tend to expect less in luxuries. Including things like 2nd cars and clothes dryers. And definitely transport costs more here. When you rent that car, you're going to feel the petrol prices too.

After all, it's a much more "closed" environment here. Less factory farming and less room to do it. No Great Plains full of wheat and corn. The US pays less per capita average share of income for food than anywhere on the planet so it's a tough comparison to make. Not as cheap to import stuff here en mass. Workers in agriculture tend to make living wages so that makes a difference. I do think it leads to better local produce than I saw living in farm country back in the US though, and right in the Coles, rather than having to seek it out at markets and coops.

Anyway, to save money - yes, we watch sales and buy what is in season and on sale. Asparagus came bursting out a couple of weeks ago and was delicious! Woolies has lamb roast on sale right now. Stuff like that. And yes, the Queen Vic if it's convenient. Farmers Markets all over too on the weekends and sometimes a regularly scheduled day during the week, depending on which one.

Eating out - agree with going with small Asian eateries. IMO, think Richmond. Victoria street with the little Vietnam there has sooooo much good, cheap food. Bridge Street for a wide variety of things from various places. And in Abbotsford is Lentil as Anything, a veg restaurant with guest chefs and constantly changing menus where you pay whatever you think it's worth. But some things are just not ever going to be cheap here. Say, we had tons of Chinese buffets at home and they were great. And cheap. A person could get a wide variety of all-you-can-eat Chinese for $7.95 USD (plus drink and 9% sales tax). The only Asian buffet I know of around here is $27 and I'm told it's not very good. So... I got over Chinese buffets very quickly!

Hope you're enjoying your stay otherwise!
Old Oct 19th, 2011, 03:46 AM

G'Day @ Pat_Woolford,

Absolutely correct...I am in Cairns, and I used to contribute (fairly extensively) to T.A. under RickPorgera (and then as MadsDad, after I got "persuaded" to resign the first time).
A few other (mostly southern) members saw fit to have a few of us locals (including Verdant) flicked from that site for reasons unbeknown to us. They seemed to assume that because they lobbed here once a year, or so, they were much more capable of being deemed local experts.
Lot's of politics on that site, and much less-so on Fodor to date, so happy to get in here occasionally and spread the charm around.
Please let me know the minute the charm becomes too much, and I'll turn it down just one notch.
Cheers mate,
Rick
Cairns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -