Tassie - can we rent hiking gear?

Feb 5th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Tassie - can we rent hiking gear?

We are thinking about going to Tasmania March 30-April 4. Can we rent hiking gear anywhere in Hobart? What are the best places to see in that time frame? Any great guided tours into the wilderness? Oh, we don't want to see Port Arthur. Thanks!
Feb 6th, 2003, 01:03 PM

I am sure you can...while your at it get excellent wet weather gear for when you are out on the west coast and the front rolls in off 10,000 miles of southern ocean.
The old salts didn't call them the "roaring forties" for nothing.
Feb 6th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Here is a web site for you to look at. http://public-www.pi.se/~orbit/tas.html
That should give you some idea of what Tassie is about and where to go. I would suggest that you contact the Tasmanian Government Tourist Authority and ask them the question about hiking gear.
If you go to Cradle Mountain and stay at the lodge there I am pretty sure that they have hiking gear - anywhere else I doubt that you would need any gear to speak of. What exactly were you thinking of?
You don't need *THAT TYPE* wet weather gear as the previous poster suggests. Ok it can rain occasionally but no more than anywhere else. It won't be that cold either and if you are from anywhere is the USA you will find it mild and pleasant in comparison.
Feb 6th, 2003, 08:27 PM

try www.strahanvillage.com.au or search under "overland track".

you really should get on a weather site and compare weather in say strahan and brisbane.
Feb 6th, 2003, 10:26 PM

Ok John, I KNOW that you live around Byron Bay and I KNOW that it is paradise but perhaps not everyone minds a little bit of cool once in a while, especially after Darwin.
I am not that far from you - here on Tamborine Mountain and I think this is paradise but I love Tassie because it has such a cleaness, a charming character, beautiful food and lovely people NOT to mention the cleanest air on the planet. Also it seems to be a bygone age too that I like about it.
I cross my heart and hope to ...... that next time someone asks about where to go I will plug Byron for you.
Feb 6th, 2003, 11:02 PM

Actually Liz I live on the northern beaches of sydney....but i grew up near Byron and my mum still lives up there.

Yeah tassie is ok and i like cascade beer and the north west...but take out the convict "dark side" and I really think it is a poor mans south island.I know that is NOT the consensus here.

I was having a bit of a stir.Now you seem to be pushing Alan for the "super diplomat" of the site someone needed to spice it up a bit.

Jokes aside, you and Alan are the lifeblood of this place...keep it up.
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:43 AM

I know that you were stiring John . It is good too to be able to write without other people writing under my name because it was all too easy just to call themselves anything they wanted. I neally didn't bother anymore and was going to stop writing anything when finally along came registration.
Cascade beer is nice but Boag is my favourite. However I don't think anywhere makes better cheese than in Tassie, and their seafood is the best too.
I plug Tassie because every time I go there as soon as the plane lands I feel as if I have already had one week of a holiday because of the feel of the place.
Sure it does not have the high mountains and snow of the South Island of NZ but what it does have certainly makes up for that. NZ doesn't have the birds and animals that we have tho. Besides I spent 2 years living in arctic conditions and hope never to see snow again except a long way away on some mountain and preferably as a picture on a calender!
Sorry Kaysa for stealing your post! I know that wherever you go you will find something of interest and you will enjoy yourself.