Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Trekking in Sapa end of May - what to wear and help with weather forecast!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evening Fodors!

I am travelling with my daughter to Sapa on 26 May to go to Bac Ha markets straight from the station. The following few days after this we have some trekking that we would like to undertake. I want to understand the weather and what I may need to bring along for clothing and shoes for the market and the trekking we plan to do. I have reviewed many links to online weather forecasts and all of them fluctuate between 20 - 34 degrees on any given day. This seems crazy so I am hoping to get a true representation via Fodors from those who may be on the ground in Sapa. Any advice will be highly appreciated on both the forecast and appropriate clothing. We are super excited and want to ensure we pack right so we can enjoy our experience to the fullest. Much appreciated and keep smiling
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:20 AM

It's going to be hot. We did some hiking at mid-day in April a couple of years ago and it was uncomfortable when out in the sun. May and June are the hottest months and May is also the start of the rainy season. So you'll need to be prepared for short downpours. Definitely bring a hat, sunscreen and light colored clothing to protect yourselves from the sun.
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:14 AM

The reason for teh wide variance in temperature is the altitude - 1600 m (3500ft) above sea level. We were there in Jan and had 25c and sunshine one day an 3c and fog the next. thankfully the hiking was done on the sunny day. Craig is spot on with hic suggestions. Even in Jan is was hot whilst out in the valley. Personally i don't worry too much about the rain and simply view it as a much needed cooling shower!
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:26 PM

We were there in may and the weather was much more comfortable than anywhere else in vn. Warm, but not bad. One morning the fog came in and visibility was minimal when we were up on the mountain in sapa. Once we drove further down, visibility was fine. We were concerned about rain, but never encountered any.
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Bring comfortable hiking shoes.
Old May 18th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies, very much appreciated. Yes, expecting the heat and unfortunately this was the only time we could come. I have asked Sapa Sisters (who we will be trekking with) to start our trek at 7 am so we can be finished earlier to avoid the heat. Perhaps the rain will be a welcomed relief should it come. Hiking shoes are on the agenda for purchase today. Thanks again and I will be sure to post a trip report about my experience. Super excited
Old May 24th, 2012, 12:58 AM

What I can tell you about the weather of Sapa in May is hot and have rain in the afternoon, Vietnam is combing through the hot months of summer, so you may have to prepare rain clothes and sun protection clothing