Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Tasmania in late March. Pleasant or bulkly jacket?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of 22 March - 2 April Tasmania trip (10 full days outside air travel). Have just looked very briefly at guidebook. Will most likely do Launceston, Freycinet, and a city stop in Australia (Melbourne or Adelaide. Have been to both Sydney and Brisbane)

My question is, how cold will it be? Long t-shit, sweater, fleece jacket, windbreaker enough? Or do we need thicker jacket? Would kayaking be out of the question? Will days be sunny or dreary? Will it be windy? Cool air is nice, windchill not so nice

We will be traveling with a 7yo and 3yo.

Thanks!
Nana
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Technically the weather should probably be beautiful - not too hot not too cold but with Tasmania I would cover for all contingencies.

We had friends in Hobart in January (the middle of our summer)one year and they encountered snow up in the hills!

If I were travelling to Tasmania regardless of the time of year I would pack a very warm coat. I use the vacuum bags - the roll up ones - it packs it down to a manageable size.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 09:06 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
<Long t-shit>

Oh my, there's an unfortunate typo, lol.

Unless you tend to run cold, I'd think you'd be fine. We visited TAS in March/April one year and had some pretty cold weather...it got down to 5c, but they said that was unusual. We also had a ton of rain. We pretty much get by with a fleece jacket and a windproof/water proof layer no matter where we visit, no matter what time of year. Maybe toss in a fleece hat for good measure. Think layers.
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Love your typo!

A few years ago I visited Tasmania for a couple of weeks starting mid March, t-shirt weather and jeans at times, but
extremely cold on West coast around Strahan/windy/wet and the last two nights in Richmond were freezing. Well, freezing for me, I'm used to the tropics, so I guess it depends on what you term cold.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 01:33 AM

Certainly take a warm jacket - you can get snow all year round in parts. The west coast can be particularly cold and windy. We were there in January this year for four weeks and experienced every type of weather. There is a trip report if you are interested.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks pigglethepug, I do have the same question. But before putting it here I got the answer too. I appreciate the support from the participating people.