Sydneyfor 3 days what to do?

Nov 18th, 1998, 08:53 PM
Mike

Sydneyfor 3 days what to do?

Hi all, We will be staying in Sydney for 3 nights in late March at the Old Park Royal in the Rocks. Good choice? Bad choice? Also any info on Pubs my buddy and I can sneak off to while the girls are shopping will be appreciated. How about Zoos or wildlife parks? Resturants in the area? Did I mention PUBS? Thanks for the info,
Mike, Jeanette, Bob, & Jackie

Nov 19th, 1998, 06:54 AM
kris

Hi Mike. Sorry I can't help you with the PUBS but I'll try with the wildlife. There is a great wildlife park near Sydney called Featherdale. It's a bit outside the city-I think we took a bus to get there. You can have your picture taken with a koala and play with the kangaroos. They also have all of the other native Australian mammals as well. Sydney also has a fabulous zoo. Enjoy your trip!

Nov 19th, 1998, 11:09 AM
peg

Mike, you are in the perfect spot for a short stay in Sydney, for all the activities you mention. There are plenty of pubs in that area and so many shops that the 'girls' should be able to spend up big as well. Don't waste your money on tours, just walk around to Circular Quay and a ferry ride to the zoo or Manly will be the most scenic you can imagine. You can get to Darling Harbour by monorail. You will find that the 3 nights you are staying will not be enough so start planning your next trip. BTW don't take any notice of what Sydney siders say, Melbourne is the best.

Nov 19th, 1998, 05:39 PM
Richard Krause

Mike and all,
I agree with Peg. The Rocks is a great area with lots of restaurants, pubs and entertainment. I hope you will be there for a Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday and Sunday there are small musical groups playing outside in the area. My wife and I had a great time in The Rocks one weekend this past August.

I second Peg's thoughts on tours. Heck, just talk to the locals and you will learn just as much as what some tour guide will tell you in his/her canned talk. Likewise just take some ferry rides rather than wasting your time on a cruise. We did both, and ferry rides are better because you get to talk to the locals.

Have a great time.

Dick

Nov 24th, 1998, 04:55 AM
Michael

Don't listen to Peg. Sydney is better than Melbourne. Where you're staying is full of pubs which are great. You must go to the Lord Nelson Hotel in the back of the Rocks. It's the oldest pub (I believe) in Sydney, and they brew their own beer. Tastes great.
But my favorite pub is on Oxford St, at Taylor Square. It's called the Judgement Bar, which is upstairs from the Courthouse Hotel. Get a table at the window, order a Coopers on tap (my favorite Australian beer), and watch the interesting people walk past, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. Oxford St is famous for it's gay pubs/clubs as well as the straight venues (such as this pub) and there certainly are some interesting looking people who walk past. Take it from me, I'm a Sydney-ite.

Nov 26th, 1998, 09:20 AM
s.fowler

The Old Sydney Park Royal is a GREAT place to stay. If you are in a room on the the front on a high floor you will have a partial view of the opera house. [There is a great view from the "roof garden/pool" area. The staff was *really* nice to me as I wandered in bedraggled at 6:30am after 20 hours in transit! The "Rocks" is a fun area and the rest of Sydney isn't far away. Don't miss the Museum of Contemporary Art, if only to have lunch on their patio [reserve though]. And the Opera House is a leisurely stroll around the harbor to the other side. Look for the bronze circular medallions on the "writer's" walk. Poetry and prose by and about Australia!
Hope you havea a *wonderful* time!