Melbourne The Hyatt or The Windsor

Nov 24th, 1998, 01:38 PM
Stacy

Melbourne The Hyatt or The Windsor

Which is better to stay The Hyatt or The Windsor Hotel? How are the rooms at The Windsor and do they have a club floor? Which location is better and which has the best amenities?

Nov 30th, 1998, 05:39 PM
Steve

Stacy,

I've recently investigated this as my wife and I were looking for a weekend in the city to celebrate our anninversary.
The Windsor quoted us A$345 per night but as this is an old style hotel (round the turn of the century I think) it had a shared bathroom arrangement. Not our style but their dining room is very grand for traditional afternoon tea at least.

The Hyatt is pretty much like any of your 5 start hotel around the A$300 to 350 per night rate. Their phone number is 61 3 96544657 if you wanted to check.
regards
Steve

Dec 2nd, 1998, 06:42 PM
Stacy

Hi STeve,
Thank you so much for your reply. I heard the rooms at the Windsor were poor so I am staying at the Hyatt. I'll go to the Windsor for high tea. Please let me know what your favorite things to do and restaurant in Melbourne are. Also I'll be there Xmas any suggestions.
Many thanks,.
Stacy

Dec 3rd, 1998, 03:39 PM
Peg

Stacy, check out Melbourne on www.theage.com.au and www.citysearch.com.au this will help you get some background before you come here. If you would like any more info you are welcome to email me as I live in Melbourne. Peg.

Dec 3rd, 1998, 04:12 PM
Stacy

Hi Peg,
How nice of you to reply. You must be a frequent visitor of this site as I have read your replies to other inquiries. My husband and 11 year old daughter and I will be in Melbourne 4 nights Dec 23 through
Dec 26th. What should we do on Xmas and Boxing Day? Where are the great places to go? Do I need to rent a car? Should I stay at the Hyatt or Sofitel. I just got a response from someone who said the Sofitel. I appreciate your help. Many thanks
Stacy

Dec 3rd, 1998, 04:49 PM
Stacy

Hi Peg,
I took your advice and went on citysearch.com. Thanks such a big help. Do you know what the newspapers are that I can access for Sydney, Ciarnes and Auckland. In Fodors it lists the best restaurants as Flower Drum,Paul Bocuse. Would it be possible to make reservations for us on the nights we will be there. Or if you could tell me if I can do it over the internet that would be great. Also, where would you go for a great dinner on Xmas, and Boxing Day, I think I better make reservations now as it will fill up. I saw on the newspaper site which places are open. Where would you go Windsor, Sofitel, etc?
Many thanks,
Stacy

Dec 4th, 1998, 02:13 AM
Peg

Stacy, The web site for the Sydney newspaper is www.smh.com.au. The Sofitel and Hyatt are located within 100 metres of each other. For views over all of Melbourne perhaps the Sofitel is better, ask for a room that faces towards the Botanic Gardens. Re hiring a car, wait until you get here to decide, Melbourne has unique rules for right hand turns because of it's trams, which could be a bit daunting when you are not used to driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. The Zoo is close to the city and open on Christmas day.

Dec 6th, 1998, 11:13 AM
Stacy

Hi Peg,
Thanks so much for your response. Any other suggestions for Xmas Day and Boxing Day?
I tried writing directly to you with your e mail address but it did not go through.
Stacy