Search

Sydney over Easter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney over Easter

We will be in Sydney over the Easter weekend, for 6 nights arriving April 5th-11th. We were planning on renting a car on Saturday-Monday to drive up to the Blue Mountains for the day, then the next day possible down the coast towards Jervis Bay. My concern is being Easter weekend, a lot of people might be traveling in and out of the city and I don’t want to spend valuable time fighting traffic. (Especially because I’ll be driving on the opposite side of what I’m used to). My question is do I ditch the idea of our day trips out of Sydney (which I’m sure there’s plenty to do in six days), or keep the car and continue with my day trips plans from Sydney? The day trips will not be over-nighters. I’m mostly interested in experiencing the culture of Australia and will also be spending 5 nights north of Cairns and our last three nights in Melbourne. I’m not really fond of tours and being horded with many other tourists in a bus. Please help with Sydney itinerary. Thank you.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:52 PM

It's been a while since I drove in and out of Sydney on an Easter weekend, but it's safe to say that you'll be fighting traffic on the Monday. Maybe someone with more current experience can advise on this, but the Saturday and Sunday may (repeat may!) not be any worse than a normal weekend, so there's a glimmer of a possibility there. Comments from others?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Hi AlanP

My experience of leaving Sydney on Fridays or weekends has proved that it's best to either leave very early in the morning, or around dinner time (6 - 8pm). Most families are not on the roads at this time, and your chances of avoiding heavy traffic are better.

Easter weekend takes in Good Friday, so traffic leaving Sydney on Thursday from mid-day on, or any time Friday is horrendous. By Saturday, hopefully most weekenders will already be at their destinations.

You'll strike the same problems returning on the Monday - traffic coming back from the Blue Mountains on any weekend is bumper-to-bumper from around 3pm onwards. Coming up the Pacific Highway from Jervis Bay will also have its very slow spots.

Have you considered travelling to the mountains by train? Depending on where you are based in Sydney, you should be able to get to Central Railway station reasonably easily, then take the train from there up the mountains. All the towns are wrapped around their local railway station. In Katoomba (three sisters, scenic railway etc) you can then take buses or taxis to the outlying scenic points - or walk if you are feeling extremely energetic!

See www.visitbluemountains.com.au for Mountain details, and www.countrylink.info/travel_passes for details of train travel.

I don't know of public transport options for Jervis Bay, but hopefully someone else will be able to supply this.

Happy travels, Di
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:12 AM

Long weekend traffic is pretty horrible on main arteries in and out of the metropolitan area. However, the school holidays start on Good Friday so the Monday traffic may be slightly better than an isolated long weekend. I think the train trip to the Blue Mountains is actually more scenic than the road, because the train-line is elevated. The alternative and more scenic road route is along the Bell's Line through Kurrajong, but that is a very dangerous road [= steep and narrow] - there was a fatality on it yesterday when a truck and car collided.
If you want to experience Australian culture and rub shoulders with [thousands of] Australians you could go to the Royal Easter [Agricultural] Show held at the Olympic site at Homebush. The best way of going there is by train from Central Station. Add walks and ferry rides and who needs a car!
Traffic down to Jervis Bay is sure to be heavy. You can catch a train as far as Bomaderry, just north of Nowra and JB is further south again.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:25 AM

The only time I've been up to the Blue Mts from Sydney at Easter I thought I'd wait till Friday PM and the traffic was still horrendous. But departing Sat you will probably be OK.

So then you are going to travel back to Sydney on Sat? Yes - and set off for Jervis Bay Sunday?

Am I right so far?

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses, I was planning on doing a day trip on Sunday and another on Monday, both from Sydney, but I may either skip it or probably take the train to the Blue Mountains. Thanks again. Alan
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:44 AM

Hello again AlanP
I second the suggestion for a trip to the Royal Easter Show - truely unique! I don't know where you live, but I guess it's the Aussie version of the Calgary Stampede. As well as the usual side-show alley, there are district exhibits from rural areas, judging for all manner of farm and domesticated animals, wood chopping, baking, sewing and artistic displays and judging . . . all makes for a very full day's entertainment. Cheers, Di
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 01:55 AM

i will add my comment about the easter traffic - it is bad! Apparently it gets busier at Easter than at Christmas.