Sydney Hotels "areas"

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:26 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Hotels "areas"

I know there are several questions already here on hotels in Sydney. I also know the the Rocks is probably the best area to be in. However, I am not having any luck on Priceline for the dates I want, and would like a moderately-priced room as close to the Rocks as I can get. The Russell has only shared-bathrooms available for a moderate price. What are the areas called that are close to the Rocks, and what hotels in those areas might be good suggestions? Thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:12 PM

GBS
From memory the choice on priceline for sydney is limited...
marriot sydney harbour
sheraton on the park

sheraton on the park is about 20 minutes walk to the quay/rocks.

try www.wotif.com.au for sydney cbd hotels
right now is school holidays so prices may be up and they only run two weeks out.
keep an eye on
old sydney holiday inn (rocks)
stafford rendezvous (rocks)

and a little further south (5-10 minutes walk to the quay)
corus
sir stamford at the quay
rydges jamieson
menzies

remember you could get the stamford at north ryde next to macquarie for not much over $A100 a night.

go to trip advisor and see what the mug punters say about these places.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:36 PM
gbs
Original Poster

Thanks, John, for your help. I will check out these places. I think we will probably be staying in the city rather than by the University since we will be travelling with our daughter on the long weekends, and stay in the city during the week to explore. At least that is our plan today.....
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM

When you leave The Rocks you are plunged straight into the business district.

I had a look at Wotif and saw a place Travelodge Martin Place which is a good price. It is maybe ten minute walk from Circular Quay but also close to the retail area if you like shopping.

Another place which is probably also about 3 star is Corus at Wynyard, closer to The Rocks. Perhaps 5 minute walk.

For 4 star you will have to snag a bargain through a special deal or last minute type of deal.

Sydney attracts many many business travellers who have all gone by the weekend. So special deals and good last minute offers do come up for higher priced hotels for stays over a weekend.

The good thing about the Wotif site is that it will show a map so you can see where and roughly the prices to give you a good idea of whats where etc. wihtout having to actually book.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:03 PM

I would think the "stay in town" during the week is the best strategy...

Personally i would stear clear of pub style accommodation...unles you are very clear on what you are getting yourself in for.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 05:40 PM

gbs,
The Travelodge at Martin Place is in a great location and is normally a bit cheaper than some of the others in the area. It sits on top of a big Leagues(football) Club, the rooms are clean and comfortable. Those facing the street at the front or back suffer from never ending street noise, but those on the interior courtyard would be good.