Sydney hotel for short stay

Jun 7th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Sydney hotel for short stay

We'll be flying through Sydney on our way to Christchurch this October and would like to get recommendations for a medium priced ($200 +/- USD/night) hotel for 2 nights in Sydney. I've been looking at hotels in the Rocks, but open to any suggestions. Just want something that's convenient to major sites while recovery from jetlag before moving on to NZ.
Thanks.
Jun 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM

If you'd like a lovely B&B, I can highly recommend the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour in the Rocks on Cumberland Street. I've stayed there and recommended it to my relatives and friends, who have also stayed there. We all loved it. We had the Lachlan Room which was great. The rooms with private baths are not ensuite, but you have the only key to the bathroom, so it is indeed private. The rates would easily fall within your USD 200 range.
Jun 8th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Or if you are prepared to wait until a couple of weeks before your departure use wotif.com or lastminute .com.au or needitnow.com.au as there will be lots of options , and prices are in my experience lower if you are here on a weekend ( Friday and Sat nights ).
Jun 9th, 2009, 08:32 PM

We've stayed at the Marriott, Hyde Park several times, and have found that lots of people seem to stay there before or after a cruise.
It overlooks the War Memorial at Hyde Park, and is convenient to town, Darling Harbour and the Quay (buses if you don't like walking). But best of all, it is so easy to get to from the airport. Catch the airport train past Central,and get off at Museum station - turn left through Hyde Park, with the War Memorial on your left, and the Marriott is a couple of hundred yards, across College St. I saw lots of hop on hop off buses going down College St, for sight seeing.
Jun 10th, 2009, 01:17 AM

I also highly recommend www.wotif.com
You might consider the Old Sydney Holiday Inn. I have stayed here a half dozen times. The location can't be beat, right at the Rocks, walking distance to ferries, restaurants, tourism office, Sydney's Comtemporary Art Museum, and not too far of a walk to the Opera House.
Jun 10th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great responses. Lot's of help info and good choices.
Jun 15th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Highly recommend Simpsons www.simpsonshotel.com on Pott's Point. We stayed in this b&b on both ends of our time in Australia and loved the neighborhood. It is definitely a "happening" neighborhood with many great restaurants and a nice feel without being in the thick of the tourist scene. There is ample public transportation to the Circular Queue area, but we chose to walk. From Pott's Point it was about a 30 minute walk to the opera house, but it was wonderful all the way - down to the wharf, up to the Domain and through the Botanical Garden.