Search

Sydney Hotel Decision

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Rachel

Sydney Hotel Decision

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the Four Points Sheraton at Darling Harbour versus the Old Holiday Inn at the Rocks. We will be staying for 4 nights in mid-August. Right now, the 4 points has a rate of $175 aud and the Holiday Inn is $134 aud. In your experience, how are these hotels? And, is Darling Harbour a more difficult location for seeing the sites than the Rocks?<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>-Rachel

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Mina

I vote for the rocks. Easier to get around from there since it's right by the Circular Quay (ferry hub). I'm sure some people will disagree, but I found the Darling Harbour area a bit too sterile...made specifically for the tourist. <BR><BR>Don't get me wrong, the Rocks is geared for the tourist too...but at least it was more pleasant to the eye (better views, etc!) <BR><BR>Is the Holiday Inn the one on George Street? If so, great location. Save money AND stay in a better area... sounds good to me....

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:48 AM
mercy

Holiday Inn Rocks hands down!!!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 05:50 PM
Patti

Without a doubt - stay in the Rocks. We stayed in the rocks and absolutely loved it - went everywhere by ferry. On our return we stayed near Darling Harbor and it really is kind of sterile. Do the bridge walk - take a catamaraan cruise - take the ferries everywhere and have a marvelous time!!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:05 AM
pat

We stayed at the 4points Sheraton on Darling Harbor and really enjoyed it. We went everywhere by ferry. You might call the international number to see if you can get a better rate. We paid less than $100 American for a room with a view. The number is 1-800-325-3535. You will have a good time regardless.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:26 AM
oztravel

Darling Harbour and the Rocks are not that far from each other. Wherever you stay you will enjoy. Darling Harbor is less dense in terms of buildings and people and has Monorail (to all Museums and other places) and better train access. The Rocks sits on top of Circular Quay so there is more Ferry choices but less train options. The Rocks is more old style architecture and Darling Harbour is more Modern. I stayed on the border of Center City and Circular Quay sort of in the middle but a little closer to the Rocks. If I had to go back again I would probaly just go with the best price for quality. Location didn't matter as much to me. Also look at some of the Aussie hotels on the internet you will probably get even better pricing that the US based hotels.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Lucy

I respectively disagree with the previous poster - as well as having easy access from the Rocks to all the ferries at Circular Quay there is also Circular Quay train station right there as well which is on the city loop line which includes Town Hall & Central Station (you may have to change trains at these stations if heading out into the suburbs). The monorail at Darling Harbour does not go to all the museums (only the Maritime & Powerhouse from memory). Personally I think the Rocks is a lot more charming than Darling Harbour & would choose to stay there even if the hotel doesn't rate quite as high in the luxury states.<BR>Cheers...

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Rachel

Thank you for all of your opinions. It seems like the Rocks is the better place to stay, but we really want to be able to have a water view, which the 4 points has. Do you know of any hotels in the Rocks with harbor views?<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR><BR>-Rachel

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Mina

Hi Rachel, if you're willing to pay for a view, there are many!<BR><BR>I believe it is the Hyatt hotel which is at one end of the rocks. Only a few stories high, it has wonderul views of the bridge and the opera house.<BR><BR>There are also several high rise hotels that skirt the rocks. I remember the Ana Grand because it was next to my little B&B. I think the Renaissance is a high rise too. (Can't vouch for the quality of either of these, as I never went inside). I know there are more, but I can't think of the names. Type in Sydney hotel here in the search box...I think lots of people have stayed in posh hotels here. I can't live like the "other half" yet. =P

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:29 PM
Lucy

Hi again Rachel, having walked past the Old Holiday Inn many times I can assure you there would definitely be some rooms with spectacular harbour views towards teh Opera House - although unfortunately they would more than likely cost a fair bit more than the price you've been quoted. To give you some idea heres the link to their site with a picture of the view from the roof top view - beautiful!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Lucy

Doh! I forgot the link...<BR>http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/holiday-inn?_franchisee=SYDGS&_template=service.html<BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Patti

Hi Rachel<BR><BR>There are a number of hotels in the Rocks area that would have fantastic views. One of which is the Quay West and they are actually 1 bedroom apartments. The Regent has good views of the harbor, the ANA also (although it trades promarily to a Japanese tourist, and the Holiday Inn in the Rocks. The HYatt is truly skyward in price for a room and the Quay Grand is beautiful but also real pricey. Check for location and prices on the net and also check WOTIF.com for rates. They give last minute rates for approximately two week time frame. As people say you're not in your hotel room all day but when you are that view is spectacular. We got a better rate on Quay West by going to the Mirvac site (parent company) and found some specials. The view from the Rocks and from Darling Harbor are NOT the same as Darling is a much small harbor area and the Circular Quay is as one enters Sydney passes the Opera House and then goes under the Bridge. Do a number of searches for rates and you might come up with a winner. Also try the Accord hotel site as they may have some hotels in areas that you would like with good rates. They are parent to about 6 hotel chains.