Sydney hotel advice

Apr 13th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Sydney hotel advice

Staying in Sydney with husband and 2 teens first few days in early June. Because we will be out and about to see the sights,(and keeping a budget in mind)not sure whether to stay by the water or closer to the city. Advice appreciated!!
Apr 13th, 2004, 07:58 PM

It depends on what you want to see / do.

Remember - it'll be winter, so swimming is out of the question, unless you are particularly hardy - when you should stay at Bondi and swim with the Bondi Icebergs!

Public transport is good around the city. Perhaps you could give us an idea of "budget", so we can make some sensible suggestions.

Alan should be along soon!
Apr 13th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We are hoping to spend no more than $100 ( american) dollars per night. We want a safe, clean place near public transportation as we are not renting a car. Will be going to Blue Mtns 1 day, the Rocks,etc another.Paddingtonvs Kings Cross vs Darlinghurst area?This will be the first visit for us all.
Apr 14th, 2004, 06:29 AM

It's my guess that when you actually get here, you will decide to spend a bit more time around the water than you presently anticipate, and that you will probably steal a bit of time from the King's Cross-Darlinghurst option to do this. So, try to get fairly near the water. From what you've said so far, I can't think of a better option for you than the Grand Hotel in Hunter St. It's virtually across the street from Wynyard Subway, it's seven minutes' walk from the Rocks, about eight minutes' walk the other way from the best shops, and they have quad rooms that should come in at well under your budget(used to be around $AUD130, but they are "under new management", so it's possible the prices have changed in the last few months. A nice old building... their special feature is that the Tank Stream (the original stream around which Sydney was built, the colony's only fresh water supply) runs right underneath the building. The Grand has a web site which a google search should turn up for you. Good hunting!
Apr 14th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Do you mean $US100 for a room for all of you?

In that case, you can't go past Alan's suggestion. That's a budget price for the city, or any of the beach-side suburbs.
Apr 15th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much mates for the advice!!Also,Margo mentioned swimming is out, but will it be good(warmer) in Cairns?
G'Day ! Donna
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Hi donnaduemmel...I think you will find it is always warm in Cairns. Have you already booked your accommodation in Cairns? If not I suggest you stay in nearby Port Douglas instead.It is much nicer, has lovely beaches (Cairns doesn't)but if you are organised already, at least do a side trip to Port Douglas ( even in the local bus).
Apr 17th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Hi

I had the same problem for my family (including 2 teenagers)in July. I managed to get a really good deal with www.m-power.net staying at the Hyde park Inn (www.hydeparkinn.com.au). We are paying just over 200 australian dollars a night but I know they have cheaper rooms available. I wanted somewhere central, enough beds so my children didn't have to share and a view of Sydeny Harbour. If you book one of their top floor rooms, you get this. It also includes a continetal breakfast to the room. I don't think this is a bad deal.
Try them, good luck!