Search

Sydney Cairns Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Cairns Hotels

Hi,

I am looking for recommendations on places to stay in Sydney and Cairns. Here is what I am looking for.

1. Cost per night less than $100 (US dollars)
2. Breakfast included
3. Close to public transport - we will not have a car
4. Economical airport transfer - dont want to blow a wad of $$ on getting to\from the airport
5. Safe area of town where we can come back late at night without any worry

I know there have been a lot of posts about this already, and I've read a few of these, but still havent found anything that meets my needs. So please indulge one more question about hotels ! ;-)

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 17th, 2004, 12:53 PM

At your price range, I'd suggest you use the late booking websites:
lastminute.com.au
ratestogo.com.au
wotif.com.au

Depending on when you're arriving, look now to get an idea of prices / locations, but you won't be able to book until about 2 weeks ahead. Alan has noted that the Russell sometimes lists rooms for around the $AUS100-120 mark. This would be a wonderful bargain, but the room may not have an ensuite bathroom. You gets what you pays for. :

I can't speak for Cairns, but hotels are certainly not cheap in Sydney
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:50 AM

Hi

I like to go to Cairns so research endlessly for the best value so I can go more often.

If you can forgo breakfast inclusion, the most central, best value, very safe place is Royal Harbour Breakfree resort. It is so close to all the restaurants, coffee shops and also Woolworths (supermarket) you can easily get something to eat.

It is not a hotel though, serviced apartments so will not be cleaned everyday, just weekly or when you check out. However it will have a kitchen of sort and a separate bedroom.

It is right across the road from the water, marina, lagoon. Where all the action happens.

The other places very central are the Outrigger, Matson resort, Hilton, Pacific International. If you wish to make google to see if they have some specials.

Cheaper end very central include Club Crocodile (mainly backpacker but believe they have motel rooms) and Shooting Star Apartments (also serviced weekly, basic but good enough for non- fussy person on a budget. Clean and close)
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:06 AM

Just checked website for Club Crocodile and it is Club Crocodile Hides Hotel which is right downtown. They have another a little ways away on Lake Steet whcih maybe a little bit of a hike.

Hides can include continental breakfast but it is not a hotel in the true sense of the word here. Meaning "pub" "tavern" so if you are game it is great value and will be clean else they wouldn't let it stay open. I am not sure about noise though, maybe ask. But it will only cost about usd70/night so you may wish to consider.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 07:10 AM

In/near Cairns I stayed at Lilybank B&B. It's not what I would call "centrally located", but just about any tour you want to do will pick you up right at the door. There are great restaurants a couple minutes walk down the road as well. (I've had much longer walks from one gate to another at airports.) Lilybank is inexpensive and it's about 5 minutes from the airport if the taxi driver takes his time. The owners are spectacularly nice people who make every effort to make your stay memorable ...and I can't say enough about breakfast! YUMMMMM. There are places that would charge you half what I paid for the room just for the breakfast.

In Sydney I stayed at Simpsons of Potts Point. It was a little pricier, but worth it. Once again, very nice and helpful people. (Thinking back on it, I wonder if it's just AUSTRALIANS that area so wonderfully helpful.) Breakfast here is a bit more basic, but still enough to get you started. Simpson's is actually quite "posh", and a very good value for the money.