Search

Sydney Bridge Climb

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Jen

Sydney Bridge Climb

My husband and I will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks and we both really want to do the Bridge Climb. However, I just checked out their web-site and it says pregnant women aren't allowed to do it. Is it because it's a difficult walk, or just because they are worried about some hugely pregnant woman going into labour at the top?<BR><BR>I'm four months along, and I don't really look pregnant yet, so I could fake it. I'm not in excellent shape, but moderate, which is what the web-site says is required. Is it dangerous? Should I go for it, or find somewhere to hang out while my husband goes alone?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Alan

Hi, Jen!<BR>It is a VERY strenuous climb. The climbers wear special clothes and are actually roped together, just like Scott crossing the Antarctic. You can fake it (as you say) if you insist, but possibly at some risk to the one member of your party who never had a choice in the matter. While your husband climbs to the top, why don't you go to the lookout at Centrepoint Tower and watch him through the telescopes there?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:16 AM
pat

It was a fairly easy climb, mainly going up metal stairs. You spend more time just looking and hearing your guide talk, than you do climbing. No, it`s not dangerous. You are hooked to the bridge with a wire cable. Im sure it`s a CYA thing. Why don`t you ask your OB doctor and follow his advise?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Jules

So now I'm confused...Is it strenous - or is it do-able by most people of various athletic ability. I mean, if I want to do the Bridge Climb, do i need to go to the gym and TRAIN for it?!?! Nevertheless, it sounds incredible....has anyone of moderate athleticism had any problems with it? I first saw that this was even a possible activity on the Amazing Race II show - did anyone else catch that episode?

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Mina

Hi Jen:<BR><BR>Alan is usually pretty right on with his advice, but if my memory serves me correctly, Pat is correct: you are not roped to your fellow climbers, but are attached to the bridge via a cable that "rolls" along (you'll see what I mean if you do decide to do this).<BR><BR>I am 29 and in good shape. I did not find the climb strenuous at all. The only realy iffy part is climbing up the four flights of ladders. If you know what the bridge looks like, you know that you climb over the top of it. That means somehow, you have to get to the top to climb, which means those ladders. They are narrow, and the steps are small. They wait until you clear a ladder before they let the next climber begin the same ladder, so there's not a real big chance of "taking someone down" with you. (unless there is some catastrophic tumble where you just keep falling and your cable starts a dominino effect and drags everyone else down) However, if you fall (certainly a possibility) you could seriously injure yourself (the cables really won't help you there!)<BR><BR>The top portion of the climb is very easy. You can take your time, and the steps are good sized and "shallow". On the day I went, a retired local man with a prosthetic leg did the climb, and was fine. There is absolutely no need to train for it, unless you are totally out of shape and walking up a steps at a leisurely pace is difficult.<BR><BR>Take the advice previously given: Consult your doctor. You many even want to inquire why Bridgeclimb prohibits pregnant women from climbing. There may be reasons that none of us realized. <BR><BR>The biggest reason, though, is even the slightest risk to your unborn child...which you'll have to be the judge.<BR><BR>Hope all this helps.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 10:34 AM
pat

I too, worried about how hard the climb was going to be. Well, it wasn`t! If you can climb a couple of flights of stairs, you will be ok. No you don`t need to train. I am in average physical condition and I am a lot older than you. It wasn`t scary either, and I always felt safe. You probably spend 2 1/2 hours out of the three just looking, and maybe 1/2 hour climbing.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Jules

Thanks Pat & Mina...Alan's response scared me a little but you've eased my worries...i've got three flights of stairs just to get inside of my apartment which i climb about three or four times a day so no worries there. it just sounded like it was going to be some big strenuous trek or something. of course, i'm not pregnant and am quite healthy and moderately in shape so i feel like it would be no problem for me.... thanks again to all of you who have replied! have a great day!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Mina

Jules, sounds like you're a prime candidate to climb! <BR><BR>If you have your heart set on it, definitely make reservations in advance. But if you're a solo traveler (like I was) it may be better to "chance it" and go on the day you want to climb and see if they have a spot. (I wouldn't recommend that if there are more than one of you..those things do sell out) That way, you can do everything possible to ensure good weather. The climb is fantastic on a clear, sunny day...like the day I climbed.<BR><BR>Have a super duper fantastically ducky time.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Jules

Mina (and whomever else),<BR><BR>Another question about the Bridge CLimb is - when's the best time to do it? Morning, Afternoon, Late Afternoon, or the Night Climb? I think it's about $15.00 (US) more to do it at night...just wondering if anyone has had a good/bad experience that was contingent on the time of day they climbed?!?! Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Mina

Jules, many people like to go late afternoon, so it's light going up, but dusk/sunset going down. You get a bit of a "nightclimb" at a dayclimb price.<BR><BR>I myself think day is better. Preference to mid-afternoon. On a sunny day, you can practically see the ocean from the bridge. At night, you're basically looking at lights. I'm from L.A. so fantastic city lights are nothing new for me (although the view is usually a bit more smoggy here!). <BR><BR>During a day climb, I think they can point more things out, and photos come out better. It really depends when the sun sets (time of year, etc). I did my climb at 2 p.m. in November. By the time we got up there, it was about 3:30, and the sun was behind me as I looked towards the Sydney Opera house. You kind of have to squint for your picture (as you face the sun) but the warm orange glow of the afternoon sun makes you look fresh, the water look bluer, and the opera house looks crisp against the sky. <BR><BR>It other words, it's one damn fine picture.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 02:26 PM
pat

We didn`t schedule in advance, because we didn`t know what the weather would be like. The day we got to Sydney, we went and got tickets for the following afternoon and had no problems getting the time we wanted. The weather was great! When we were coming down, the group going up had on the lights that you wear on your head. I think you can see more in the daylight.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Jen

Wow, thanks, all! You answered more questions than I thought to ask!<BR><BR>Jen

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Spud

The bridge climb is not strenuous. A 101 yr old woman did it last year, also a double amputee. It is a little pricey in my opinion for what is basically a nice view. If you get a good guide though(We had Ronan), it's a fun time. Don't get sucked into buying extra photos.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Mina

Spud, I had Ronan too! (If it's the same Irish guy) He was a hoot and a half. Did he tell you about the story of George (I think that was his name) drowned alive in the cement? One of the older ladies with us asked "George who?" Ronan started laughing..."No one's ever asked me that before," he said. "Worried it might be someone you know?" The lady said dryly, "Well you never know."<BR><BR>I agree...the guide is key. However, I did buy extra pictures, and love them. Since you can't bring a camera up there, I wanted all the reminders I could get of what was a fun time.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:24 PM
pat

Our guide told us that the 100 year old woman who did the bridge climb actually went up in the service elevator, and did very little climbing.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Nikki

Jen<BR><BR>I hope you'll rethink this bridge climb and talk to your OB-gyn about it. You're pregnant and that is a really important time of your life - don't chance it - especially when the company prefers that you do not climb. You climb a ladder as you would climb a ladder up the side of a four story house straight up. I myself would prefer that you take marvelous pictures of your hubby doing the climb than have an unfortunate happening.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Jen

I'm pretty sure if I ask my OB if I can do something that is not recommended while pregnant she will say no whether she knows anything about it or not. So a bit pointless to ask, isn't it? What if it's just a paranoid measure on the part of the company and there are no particular risks to pregnant women? Of course I won't put my baby at risk if there IS a risk. I just want to clarify that, since a couple of you seem to think I'm taking this lightly and more than willing to put my baby's health in danger. Sheesh! Why do you think I asked in the first place?<BR><BR>I have just emailed the company to ask what the particular risks are, if any, or if it is just a case of them avoiding any tiny possibility of someone going into labour at the top.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Mina

Hey Jen:<BR><BR>I'm sure you're not taking any possible risk to your baby lightly...but as Nikki and I both mentioned, there are those four flights of vertical ladders. However small, there is a chance that you could slip and fall. I'm sure people have done it before.<BR><BR>Since I've never been prego, I can't be sure how much this matters, but everything necessary for the climb is strapped around your waist (cables etc). So if anything snags, your waist/stomach is the first to get tugged (although you should be pulling the cable along with your hands, with the exception of the ladder portion,to prevent that from happening.)<BR><BR>I'd be interested in seeing what the BridgeClimb people say. I'm pretty sure they're going to want you to stay on the ground.<BR><BR>But you'll have a great time in Sydney anyway!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Spud

Mina, it's definitely the same Ronan. He didn't tell us about George but did tell us about many other bizarre occurances. A guy proposed to his girlfriend on our climb. He had to carry a plastic ring instead of the real thing.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Ellen

Jen<BR>I know you got pregnant because you really want a baby. You also want to do whatever your husband does while in Australia.<BR>Do every single thing that you can to keep YOUR BABY safe and sound in that womb. I'm telling you this because my daughter did everything to keep her baby safe and followed doctors orders for eight months. She just lost that baby last week and sweetheart I wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we're going through right now. We're not handling it very well and I don't think you would. Maybe someone higher let me open this tonight trying to get my mind off things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -