Search

Sydney Apt. suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Apt. suggestions

Hi,
My son, husband and I are going to be spending 5 nts in SYD 12-29 to 1-3-04. I have a reservation at the Radisson Suites dear Darling Harbor (The monorail appears to go right by it) The rate is not bad for a one bedroom suite.
I have also rec'd a price quote from the York Apartment which looks GREAT. Not much more money than the Radisson.
IN addition I have a price quote for two other apartments - one in Woolloomooloo and the othr on Bay st in the Glebe section.
Can I have opinions please. Has anyone stayed in the Radisson Suites or the York Apartments or does anyone have any opinions on these properties.
Also, what are the neighborhoods of Glebe and Woolloomooloo like? ANy of these areas better.
We want to be pretty central and want to be able to walk to the Harbor F
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, hit the worng key and sent the message before I meant to,
Should read, we want to be near the harbor for the new Years eve festivities.
Thanks,
Pat
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:53 AM

Hi Pat,
We have chosen the Waldorf apartments in Sydney for our visit in December.
The rate is reasonable and the location is good for us.
Alan the resident Sydney Guru actually walked along to see where it was and he said its near the spanish quarter where there are good restaurants and all within easy walking of Darling harbour.
We have a 2 bed apartment there over new year when the rates are hiked up and it remained quite reasonable.
Try the website.
http://www.waldorf-apartments-hotel-sydney.com.au/
I will try to find my original post on the subject and top it for you.

Good luck

Muck
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 07:31 PM

I wonder where Alan is?

Glebe is an interesting,inner west area,rather trendy,lots victorian terraces,strong student influence from sydney uni.Good eat street is glebe point road.Have to get a cab/bus to points of interest.

the "LOO" is mixed,inner east,sandwiched between kings x and city.From finger wharf and the elite (russell crowe lives there) to some public housing.It has got harrys cafe de wheels.Supposededly walking distance to town but i think you would find urself taking cabs.

You should be looking for a strong price advantage to stay in glebe or the loo.

York is very well located.maybe a bit of a trudge up the hill after a long day but apart from that..if you get a good offer...you might get a bridge, western harbour view.

Old Jul 24th, 2003, 09:53 PM

We stayed at the York apartments several years ago and thought they were excellent. There were six of us in a two bedrom/2 bathroom unit and we had plenty of room.
The view of the harbour was spectacular and they are certainly in a much better position than the Waldorf, particularly for New Year festivities at Circular Quay etc.
I would no hesitate to take the offer from there if I were you.
Glebe and Woolloomooloo are not nearly as convenient, and for Glebe you would be relying on the bus service to go to and from the city, which at that holiday time would probably be fairly scratchy.
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:30 PM

Hi Pru,
Could you please clarify your comments on the previous post.
What is so bad about the Waldorf location?
When you say "its in a much better position than the Waldorf"
Much better position for what?

We have corporate hospitality places for the fireworks so we won't be watching from the hotel.
And we don't want to be staying right in the harbour because of the ridiculous price hike over New year.
You really shouldn't criticise other peoples experiences and opinions.

Peoples ideas of a good position are very subjective don't you think?
I am sure patw is quite capable of taking everyones own experiences and judging them in relation to her own likes and dislikes.

Muck
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 09:28 PM

Muck,
I am sorry if you took exception to my criticism of the Waldorf as against York apartments - Pat was asking for opinions and since you had mentioned the Waldorf and I have stayed in both, I was replying to her post.
I personally think the position of the York is 100% better than the Waldorf - whether it be New Year or any other time. I will be interested to hear your comments when you actually stay there but I consider the area you will be in to be less than salubrious, especially after dark, despite Alan's glowing report.
But I repeat that is my view and my view alone, and I am sorry if it offended you.

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Hi Prue (and patw),
I checked through my research, and found that we had looked at the York apartments whilst booking for the next trip, we conclluded that for the extra cost involved the York was not the best value for us.
Its location was possibly quite noisy.
It does look a lovely place inside. however; I remembered one thread which included the york that influenced our decision,I found it again and it has a comment by the respected Sydney expert Alan (where is he by the way??)
His was less than complimentary about the location. I quote alan's words from the post hope he doesn't mind...

" have never stayed there, so I can't comment on the rooms, only the position. It is VERY close to the main approach ramp to the Harbour Bridge, but reasonably close to the Harbour (not, however, the most pleasant walk, and a bit hilly-- going "around the back", through Miller's Point and past the Lord Nelson, is probably the most pleasant walking route, though almost twice as far). There are few shops in that area... mostly high-rise office buildings and old houses converted into offices.The York certainly has the potential for some nice views, but you should check this out first: a high room facing north-east would probably be best."

Based on this advice not considering the York was an easy decision to make, by including cost into the equation the Waldorf still seems a good location for us.
With the monorail right there and Darling Harbour very close by.

I will be only too pleased to report on it upon our return.
If it was a bad choice I promise to say so.
Have fun

Muck

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Hi Mucky,
I don't disagree with Alan's assessment of the York - but think that the important factor to remember here is that the period we are talking about i.e.Xmas/New Year . At that time the city is VERY quiet, a lot businesses are closed and most factories. So traffic is extremely light.
In fact the only people about will be your fellow tourists and those poor locals who do have work.
We stayed at the York during this period and there was little noise, other than some traffic which you would expect and you would have anywhere. We were all from rural Australia and are very sensitive to noise too, so it was a good test.
It is uphill to get to it from the Quay - but then so is most of Sydney going one way or another - as you would have found.
I hope you enjoy your stay - I would urge caution in the George Street area (turning right from your front door and uphill) it is an area most locals are wary of - as is borne out by the increased police presence. There are movie theatres and fun parlours in the area that seem to attract gangs of youths.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,
Thanks to all who replyed. I have ruled out the apartments in Loo and in Glebe. The apt. in Loo wanted 600AUD over the New Years period. Glebe seemed to far.
My company actually has a branch in SYD and I emailed them and they have been helpful also. They recommend the York and actually put out of towners there.
The reason I was leaning towards the York over the Radisson Suites was that York has a outdoor pool/terrace area and the Radisson has an indoor pool. Coming from the winter in NJ I want to be outside as much as possible while in SYD. I figured I could nip up to the pool for a little while in the AM or PM before or after the day of sightseeing.
The Radisson is on Liverpool St, so Muck, I don't think we are too far from you.
I'm VERY sensitive to noise so I hope Liverpool St is OK. When I read about the York being very close to a highway ramp that caused a bit of concern.
I just have to decide. I may end up going to the Radisson for the first and last nts of my SYD stay (Nearly 1/2 the cost of the York for those 2 nts) and stay at the York for the 30, 31 & 1.
Muck, I saw your other posts on Cairns, Pt. DOuglas. We decided on the new Outrigger Resort & Spa in Palm Cove. It looks beautiful.
Thanks again for all the input.
Best regards,
Pat
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:20 AM

Hi Pat,
I think the new Outrigger Resort & Spa in Palm Cove was just beginning to be built when we were there, its in a lovely location if its where I am thinking of.
You will adore Palm Cove it is like Paradise.
And if you need to have more to do the bus service to other places is great too.
You must stop off at the surf club, we had a fabulous evening there, really the food was good and great value.
We sat in the enclosed garden.

Not sure how far the Raddison is from the Waldorf but I will enquire.
Have fun with your planning and I look forward to reading your report mwhen you return.
Pru: Thanks for the George st Warning we will be careful, we stayed at the Marriott 2 years ago and we walked this area quite often, although I don't recall the Waldorf at that time.
We will be as careful as we would be in any City, we live in Cardiff in Wales UK so City life we are familiar with.
Thanks for the great discussions

Have fun

Muck
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:44 PM

Muck,
We were in Cardiff for the Rugby World Cup - what a great city!!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:02 PM

hey Muck

are you going to the australia-india test at the SCG?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 01:22 AM

Hi Pru,
Glad you enjoyed your stay here, its developing nicely as a city and occasions like the RWC really help.
I saw loads of games during the world cup, maybe you were in the stadium too !! Its a great stadium don't you think.
Hi John,
Is this the game on Jan 2nd? If so I considered it and unfortunately its the day we fly home so I was a bit disapointed at that, however I am still on the lookout to see something we are in Sydney from 27th Dec til 2nd Jan any advice would be appreciated. I watch Glamorgan play here and of Course England but I am still waiting for England to begin playing lol...
Muck
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:16 AM

Yes the sydney test starts on Jan 2.

The melbourne "boxing day" test will be on whilst you are in sydney..where are you boxing day?
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 01:15 AM

Hi John,(sorry to hijack your post Pat)
We will be on Moreton Islands "Tangalooma wild dolphin resort" for Xmas 23-26.
This is our itinary for Australia
Melb-15-20
Brb-21/22
Tangalooma 23-26
Syd 27-02

I had a look a few months ago and I think I did a good job of avoiding all the games, perhaps my wife did some of the planning...lol
If you know of anything going on let me know, I plan to get to the Bradman museum whilst we are in Syd, we will hire a car and get down there if possible.

Cheers

Muck
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:46 AM

Where of where can we get a ticket for the rugby?? Will have recently arrived to live in Sydney for a long term stay.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Sue,
The ARU are releasing some additional World Cup tickets through Ticketek on August 18th - they will sell very quickly though so you will need to get online early or be at one of the outlets when they open (you can check the location of these in the phone book or online)
Also I believe there are some for sale on EBay - but for very inflated prices.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 03:01 PM

Muck

There is a pura cup game at the Gabba on dec 21-22...Qld v SA.Probably be the same numbers there as at Sophia Gardens.

Bradman Museum in Bowral is recommended..happened to have played down there.

The SCG has a tour and a small museum..have not done it myself.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 02:37 PM

Topping for Myrtle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -