Search

Sydney and Melbourne Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney and Melbourne Itinerary

Hi All,

I have been reading all the great tips on Austrlian itineraries and was hoping to get a little advice for myself!!
We will have two weeks in Australia in mid August. We have to fly in and out of Sydney, so we have planned the following:

3 days Sydney
3 days Lizard Island
5 days Melbourne
2 days Sydney

We love to explore cities, but we are also huge outdoors/nature lovers. Can you please give us some advice on one or two day trips out from the cities that we shouldn't miss. We are thinking about a day or two in the blue mountains and two days to travel the great ocean road.
Any advice or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:22 AM

Ray: I think a lot of people who visit Australia, especially nature lovers like yourself, make the mistake of sticking to the big cities and doing little else, save going to the big tourist centers of Ayers Rock and Cairns. I say this because I have encountered more than a couple of people who were disappointed that Australia was not as "different" or as exotic as they had imagined it would be. When asked where they went, it is invariably Sydney, Cairns, Ayers Rock or Melbourne.

So my advice, in general is to "get out there". See what makes the continent so unique, get away from the crowd (not hard to do!), and see the amazing animals and birds in their natural environment. I'd guess a fairly large proportion of overseas visitors go Down Under and never even see a kangaroo in the wild.

So to be more specific, I wouldn't break up your time in Sydney like you have. Allow yourself a couple of nights for a trip to the Blue Mts. Visit Katoomba (the major tourist mecca), but don't miss other great places such as Govets Leap, the Megalong Valley and Jenolan Caves. There are some great walks in the Blue Mts, either along the cliff faces or into the valleys.

Personally, I would skip Melbourne and the GOR. Not that I dislike either place, it just that it is not the best time of year to be there.

My suggested alternative would be to fly north to Townsville and the make your way north to Cairns (and Lizard Isl) over 3 days or so. Although neither city would be on my must-see list, the drive between Townsville and Cairns is lovely and there are many interesting and beautiful side trips along the way. The last time I was there a couple of years ago, we stopped in the sugar town of Ingham and took a drive inland to Wallaman Falls, in the rainforested mountains nearby. The falls themselves were awesome (>1000 ft, Australia's highest), but we also saw a wild cassowary (quite a rarety) as well as platypuses in the stream above the falls. We also took side trips up the lovely Tully River Valley, to Mission Beach, Josephine Falls, and the Atherton Tablelands. Beautiful places!

The coast north of Cairns is beautiful as well. Seems like with you might have a day or two to explore in that direction as well.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Ralph,

Thank you very much for your advice. That is exactly the type of information we were looking for!!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Ray, Ralph is right, too many overseas tourists visiting Australia, do the "usual"....Sydney, Melbourne, Alice Springs & the rock, Cairns & Barrier Reef, and thats it.
I used to live in Sydney, and now I live in Queensland, so my advice is very similar to Ralph's advice. 3 days in Sydney is enough (get a daytripper ticket to use the ferry service all day long on the harbour...you will see more than those people on the harbour cruises, because you get on & off at each ferry stopo), then spend a day looking at Sydney's sights, eg. Opera House, Botancial gardens, Quay and Darling Harbour, and thirdly, a day trip up to the Blue Mountains. Now if you had extra time in Sydney, I would recommend renting a car and doing this trip (one my favourite drives)
Leave Sydney driving south down Hume Highway, turn into Southern Highlands, visit Mittagong, Bowral, then take the road to Robertson, Wildes Meadow, Burrawang (old village store), then Fitzroy Falls, then down into Kangaroo Valley, then up the other side of the valley, on the Cambawarra Mountain (rainforest galore), then down to Kiama, Gerrora and Seven Mile Beach (dinner at the Georrora Fishermans Club with its great 180 degree seaviews), then back to Sydney. This trip can be done in 2 days/1 night stopover, and many Sydneysiders consider it to be one of the most scenic drives out of Sydney.
As for Qld, a lot of people hit the main cities or reef attractions, without realising, there are towns & island resorts in between the "most visited" ones. Between Townsville & Cairns is a pretty area. I often hear of people wanting to stay on an island in the Whitsundays, which is a pretty touristy area. Just south is Brampton Island, a little bit off the tourist track, and a very nice island resort.
For a completely different stopover in Qld, would be a holiday on Heron Island, a true coral cay island, with loads of birdlife, turtles, fish, coral & diving. Heron Island also offers an "optional" stay on nearby Wilson Island, staying in tent type accommodation (I think only 10 couples are allowed on this island), and they even supply a chef to cook for you. This is real barefoot island holiday experience, or back to nature stuff.
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:42 PM

Hi, RayTX!

I would also second the excellent advice given by RalphR, even though I wouldn't have thought that August was a bad month to visit the Reef... I always believed that Jan/Feb was the time to avoid because of the rain, and that mid-year, when most of Australia is chilly, was ideal. But what he said about Melbourne is absolutely right. August in Melbourne is best avoided, so why not skip it altogether and use your time exploring the Queensland coast? If you feel like you haven't seen enough Australian cities, substitute Canberra for Melbourne. It's only a three-hour drive from Sydney, and the drive itself couldn't be easier -- since it's a drive most of our top politicians take several times a week, you can bet that they've ensured that the money was spent on the highway to make it the most easily-driveable road in the country. Canberra will be cold, at night, also -- anywhere off the coast is pretty cold in August -- but the dyays are likely to be warm and sunny, and if you plan on two days and one night (including travelling to and from Sydney), you will be able to see just about everything Canberra has to offer, because its features -- the Museum of Australia, the War Memorial, Parliament House, the National Gallery -- are all within ten minutes' drive of each other, and parking couldn't be easier (get a good road map, however.... I confess that, Aussie born-and-bred though I am, I get hopelessly lost in Canberra every time I go there, and spend hours driving around in circles).

In short: 6 days in Sydney, including the Blue Mountains (one night, two days) and Canberra (one night, two days); 6 days in Northern Queensland (3 at Lizard, and 3 just to drive around).
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone so very much for their recommendations!! All of you have been so helpful and I think I have come out of this with a great intinerary. I cannot wait to get to Australia!!!

Kindest Regards,
RayTX
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 09:33 PM

I have been reading that nobody seems to recommend Melbourne and GOR in August. Is this because of the weather, or other reasons? We are planning at this point to do the GOR including Queenscliff for one night, (Aug. 14-15) then off to Cairns/Port Douglas for 5 days. The rest of our tims is in Sydney as that is where my husband's work is located. Is Aireys Inlet good place to stay along the way? And does anyone know of a good place to obtain a map of the GOR? The GOR website map link is not bringing the map up.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help!
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM

Hi asevier 13
The weather in Melbourne is much maligned on this board. Yes it is cold in winter, over the past few weeks the overnight temperature has been 5 to 8 degrees C, the daytime temperature has ranged from 12 to 16C. As we have been in drought for the past few years, there has been little rainfall and days are generally sunny. Melbourne has a vibrant café culture and they all continuing operating outside tables throughout the winter.
The perception of the weather is relative depending on where you are coming from. The winter is quite mild in comparison to many European and American cities that experience temperatures at or below freezing with snow.
The GOR in August will be fine, there will be less tourists and if you take a leisurely pace, you will be able to enjoy the attractions. Queenscliff is a good choice for an overnight stop, there are many excellent accommodation options as well as great dining options from fish and chips to gourmet. (the fish and chips in Hesse St, behind Mietta?s are particularly recommended-there is always a queue)
Is this the website you are using?
http://www.greatoceanroad.com.au/
I suggest that you try this web page
http://www.visitvictoria.com.au/
click on victoria's regions in the right hand side and follow the links for maps.
Hope this is helpful
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 05:12 AM

Hi RayTX - I would never recommend Cairns city as a destination in itself either, even though I have chosen to live here after spending most of my life on Sydney's Northern Beaches, and to me at least that's the best part of Sydney. We chose to live here because of its very proximity to the places Ralph has mentioned and many more. So Cairns is an excellent base to explore some of the most scenic areas in the country as well as having easy access to GBR. And its not a bad town to come back to after a day's sightseeing - great restaurants, nightlife if you want it, and a vitality that I'm afraid is missing in most Qld towns. just today I took a Melbourne friend into town to catch a movie we'd both been waiting to see - parked right outside movie theater which amazed my Melbourne friend. Sure there were loads of tourists of many nationalities enjoying themselves on footpath cafes in the sun - everybody looked happy and cheerful.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:01 AM

Miss B99,
As a fellow Melbourne girl, you have said almost "word for word" what I was going to say. You just got there before me!
Possum
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:19 AM

hi,
I just returned from Melbourne. I really liked the city but I think five days would be too much in winter...perhaps 3? If you like big cities, Melbourne is a good one to see Great food and museums.

K.S. Chan
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:02 PM

RalphR, isn't it nice to break away from the "major" sights that locals & tourists visit each year in this country.
Personally, I like the places which are "least" visited.
Possum recommended to me sometime ago,an old quaint Qld pub in a small village, called Cordalba, not far from where I now live in Hervey Bay. This little pub is surrounded by sugar cane fields, and I am sure most tourists drive up the highway, completely oblivious to this little gem.
Also not far from Childers, is Woodgate, a beautiful, quiet beach village, with white sand, kangaroos that come out of the nearby Woodgate National Park, and sit on people's lawns. Woodgate has 1 pub, 1 bowling club, 1 supermarket, and probably around 100 homes, heaps of kangaroos, and one long superb beach.
RayTX, if you keep asking Aussies on Fodors Travel Board, about "their" secret places, you will soon build up a library of unusual & interesting places to visit.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:04 PM

RalphR, isn't it nice to break away from the "major" sights that some locals & tourists visit each year in this country.
Personally, I like the places which are "least" visited.
Possum recommended to me sometime ago,an old quaint Qld pub in a small village, called Cordalba, not far from where I now live in Hervey Bay. This little pub is surrounded by sugar cane fields, and I am sure most tourists drive up the highway, completely oblivious to this little gem.
Also not far from Childers, is Woodgate, a beautiful, quiet beach village, with white sand, kangaroos that come out of the nearby Woodgate National Park, and sit on people's lawns. Woodgate has 1 pub, 1 bowling club, 1 supermarket, and probably around 100 homes, heaps of kangaroos, and one long superb beach.
RayTX, if you keep asking Aussies on Fodors Travel Board, about "their" secret places, you will soon build up a library of unusual & interesting places to visit.