Sydney and Melbourne

Sep 26th, 1997, 12:04 PM
bill toliver

Sydney and Melbourne

We are planning a trip to Sydney and Melbourne with most of the trip in Sydney. What I would like is some info on air passes. We will fly into Sydney and return from Melbourne. I need info on intra-Australia air passes. Also we would like to go in September when our kids are in school. Is this a good time of year weather-wise as well as school vacation wise in these two cities? The wife like shopping a lot- any suggestions on this front?

Sep 28th, 1997, 04:33 AM
Julie

Hi Bill,
There are lots of nice shops in Melbourne city itself. But don't forget Bridge Road, close to the city. There are factory outlets on this street, mainly clothing stores. Start on one side of the street - go right up to the end, cross the road and start again. I went into every shop and spent a whole day here - lots of great bargains.
You can get there by hopping on a tram just outside Flinder St train station.
Email me if you need any other info

Sep 30th, 1997, 02:42 AM
Denise

Hi Bill, Hope you get to do this trip you are planning. I live in Melbourne and in answer to one of your questions, the weather has been lovely today ~ 19 C. It still gets quite cool though esp. at night. Bring layered clothing is the best advice. Sydney is about 5 deg warmer normally. Melbourne is the better known of the cities for its shopping esp. clothes. Sydney for the sights (esp. the harbour). btw the kids are on holidays (in Victoria anyway) at the moment can you come beginning Sep or mid Oct? Have fun planning !

Oct 1st, 1997, 11:57 AM
bill toliver

Denise- can you give me the range of dates that the kids are on holiday during the year for both Melbourne and Sydney. Also do you have any info on air passes. I'm looking for the least expensive travel option to go from Melbourne to Sydney. Thanks!

Oct 1st, 1997, 06:18 PM
Julie

Bill,
You have four options to get from Melbourne to Sydney :

1. Plane

2. Drive (rent a car)

3. Train

4. Bus

I think the cheapest way would be by train or bus.

Nov 5th, 1997, 02:35 AM
Denise

Bill, sorry haven't been back to the computer for a while. Not too sure about the hols (no kids). However cheapest option Syd-Mel is probably train or bus. It will take about 11 - 12 hours tho'. Also by car. If you take the coast road it is about 2-3 hrs longer but more scenic. (These times are all without many stops). Flying can cost as little as $220 AUD up to about $500 AUD dep on whether you can purchase in advance. Hiring a car is quite expensive (I think) so that leaves the train or bus. Going on experience travelling in other countries you may be able to get some air passes or train passes cheaper at home. Worth a check with the travel agent or Aust'n tourist board. btw 2nd half Dec through to late Jan is a definite no-no as far as school holidays go, this is when our summer break is and accom. etc can be scarce at the tourist places. Also at Easter. Good luck! - Denise
PS If you want to see a fantastic natural park in Victoria try Wilson's Promontory south-east of Melbourne. They have cabin accom. and the walks are fantastic - lots of native animals. Also the drive along the coast of Victoria from Melbourne west (The Great Ocean Road) is a trip worth doing. Takes a couple of days tho.