Search

Sydney Accom - Decisions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney Accom - Decisions

Hi, I am looking for a reasonable hotel in the Rocks for late Jan / early Feb and I was surprised at how high the prices area. Current options are:
Russel AUS$235 pn (pricey for no aircon)
BB Sydney Harbour AUS$225 pn
Lord Nelson AUS$180 pn
Mercantile AUS$150 pn (aircon?)

Seems that the Nelson may be the best bet? Does the Mercantile have aircon and could I improve on these prices or should I look elsewhere?
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 12:58 PM

Have a look at the Old Sydney Holiday Inn, 55 George Street.
Good location, and probably air conditioned.
Depends a bit on what you're looking for. If you want local hotels, then those you've picked are the go. Mercantile is well located.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 01:22 PM

We have booked reservations at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney. Rooms are airconditioned and its in a great lcoation. Can't remember the rates but they weren't too expensive.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 03:26 PM

Shouldn't be too surprised at high prices in the Rocks - that is the area everyone wants to stay in, and Jan/Feb is the height of summer. The Lord Nelson is good, but you have about a 5-10 min. walk to Circular Quay. I personally wouldn't stay at the Mercantile. NOt sure about a/c, but the noise from the pub downstairs (great pub) could be an issue.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 04:46 PM

I would not stay at the Mercantile for the reasons explained above.

The lord Nelson is in the "upper rocks"..it is a fair walk up the hill from the quay at the end of the day.

you could cut costs by looking at the Grace or even Duxton.

yoou could get down to A$100 by getting a little further away...west side of darling harbour or central broadway area.It would mean getting public transport/cabs each day to places of interest.
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 09:11 PM

Hi, david_m11!
I'm a little disappointed with all this negative comment about the Mercantile, even though I do understand the posters' reservations.... downstairs it is an Irish pub and one of the most-frequented drinking spots in the area. It certainly can get noisy, but it's full of character. I rather doubt that it would be air conditioned, however.
The Lord Nelson is a great old place and certainly the most interesting choice of the ones you listed. The walk referred to above is nothing, really, and you'd probably be walking that way anyway just to see the sights; and the area it is in -- at the "back" of the Rocks -- is quiet, elegant, and not too tarted-up for the tourist trade. Another one which you might investigate is the Australian Hotel, up near where the tours leave for the walk across the Bridge. It's an old building, but well-kept. Since it's not one of the US "chain" hotels, it OUGHT to be keeping its price at a reasonable level.

While the modern hotels would be unbearable without air conditioning, I wouldn't be too aghast at taking the Lord Nelson or the Russell without it.... those thick old stone walls provide a lot of natural air cooling. Purely on location, the Russell and the Mercantile just can't be beat. If you want a much cheaper option, look at some of the hotels around Town Hall Station.... it's only a five-minute subway ride or a twenty-minute walk to the water's edge, and (just for openers) the price of a room at the old Criterion is around $AUD65. I am hesitant to mention the old Palisade, which is about $120 for a room at the back of the Rocks, right near the Lord Nelson, because, to be frank, it's no oil painting.... but you might even score a view at that price, as it's the highest building in the area (it has its own website so you should check before proceeding... you might be horrified!).
Other hotels around the water to check out might include the Sir Stamford, Quay West,the Marriott Sydney Harbour, and (as already mentioned) the Old Sydney Holiday Inn (between the Mercantile and the Russell). Good luck!
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:46 PM

Forgot to add to that last list of hotels near the harbour these two: the ANA, now apparently renamed the Shangri-La (great views possible, almost next door to the BB you mentioned), and the Four Seasons, which I still refer to as the Regent, by which name it was known when new. Both of these are usually expensive, but you might get a "deal" since they are so huge that their chances of filling the place seem remot, to say the least.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:01 AM
TSM

David, try www.wotif.com.au - good prices at good hotels, but you can only book two weeks in advance. Worth the risk? Your call.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:21 PM
mjs

You may get some excellent rates by using the Sydney 2003 Entertainment book. I had a friend in New Zealand pick one up for me before our trip in July (it was not available in the US at that time)and it saved us alot of money during our vacation on hotels. You can easily get rooms in really nice hotels for less than $200/night in Sydney and in other parts of Australia and New Zealand. Hotels in Sydney in the Rocks area include the Quay's, Sir Stamford, Marriot,Observatory, Intercontinental etc.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:56 PM
jkb

We stayed in Old Sydney Holiday Inn for 5 nights 3 months ago and just loved it! US $120 per night included wonderful full buffet breakfasts for 2. Great location, wonderful room with a side view of The Bridge. I'd highly reccommend it! And, yes, air conditioned.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:49 AM
jka

Stay in BB Sydney Harbour. Awesome location, wonderful hosts and huge breakfasts.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for all the advice - sorry about the delay but I have been off-line for a while. I finally decided to go for the Lord Nelson, seemed to be the best overall value for the location.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 04:38 AM

Hi, David!

I think you have chosen very well.... but did anyone mention that the Lord Nelson has a website with photographs so that you can check it out for yourself? A google search on "Lord Nelson Brewery" should turn it up right away.
Have a great holiday!