Stranded at Hokitika

Reply

Nov 7th, 2018, 09:31 PM
  #1
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Stranded at Hokitika

Hi,
We are currently stranded at Hokitika due to the closure of SH 6. We are supposed to be at Fox Glacier today and tomorrow and Wanaka on Saturday and Sunday. If SH 6 is still not open tomorrow morning, we are advised to go through Arthur Pass to the east coast and head to Wanaka from there. We understand the journey is long and like to stay at a town halfway enroute tomorrow night to break the journey. Please advise on the best town to stay to break the journey if we were to go with this plan. Thanks
meitan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Nov 7th, 2018, 11:52 PM
  #2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
Please check on the condition of Arthur's Pass before driving over. It will be closed tonight. Also check on the condition of Lindis Pass, which you must drive over to get to Wanaka.
Check this link for current road closures (zoom in on your area):
Traffic map
Here's an article about the storm damage and there's more to come, apparently.
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/...ass-swept-away

If you can get through Arthur's Pass, Ashburton is 3.5 hour drive away from Hokitika and about 4 hours from Wanaka. It's a fairly large town, so you can probably find accommodation there. Geraldine is smaller but more charming and about 4 hours from Hokitika and 3.5 hours from Wanaka. Methven is 3 hours 15 minutes from Hokitika and 4 hours 15 minutes from Wanaka. Hokitika to Lake Tekapo will be a 5 hour drive. Tekapo to Wanaka is 2.5 hours. My tendency would be to go to Tekapo, because this would get you closest to Wanaka. Tekapo has a lot of accommodation and is popular, but it's not yet high season, so you can probably find acccommodation. With all this nasty weather, expect road delays. So 5 hour drive could be more like a 6 hour drive.

Good luck and drive safely. Sorry you're having these problems.

Wanaka is forecast to have fine spells on Saturday:
https://www.metservice.com/towns-cities/wanaka

Last edited by Diamantina; Nov 8th, 2018 at 12:00 AM.
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 8th, 2018, 12:20 AM
  #3
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Thanks Diamantina for the advise. Will have to wait for tomorrow for updates as at present ,both ways are inaccessible. If SH 6 can be opened tomorrow afternoon, we are still fine as journey time to fox glacier should be less than 3 hours Praying hard that everything will work out
meitan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Nov 8th, 2018, 12:26 AM
  #4
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
Wishing you the best of luck and a good journey for the remainder of your trip!
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 8th, 2018, 06:33 AM
  #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 14,582
meitan - I'm so sorry to hear this! Holiday disruptions are distressing and this sounds like a doosie. I don't know if it helps, but we really like this B&B in Geraldine should you happen to be re-routed - https://truenz.co.nz/bed-and-breakfa...ichlyn-park-bb.

I wish you you best.

Please post back and let us know how it goes.
Melnq8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 8th, 2018, 02:24 PM
  #6
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
How are you doing, Meitan? Metservice reports the storm is moving north today, so roads south should be starting to dry out.
https://www.metservice.com/warnings/...-weather-watch
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 8th, 2018, 10:23 PM
  #7
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
SH6 is open. SH73 between Jacksons and Arthur's Pass will be closed until mid-Monday.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108...m-pushes-north
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 9th, 2018, 12:44 AM
  #8
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement We finally make it to Fox Glacier after the SH6 was opened at 2 pm today. Managed to walk to the Franz Josef glacier view point but unfortunately was not able to view the glacier as can't get too close and it was raining Probably covered by fog and mist. Planning to go to Lake Matheson early tomorrow morning but unfortunately fox glacier walkway will not be accessible due to flooding. Tourist information suggested to view the panaroma closer to Lake Matheson. Weather forecast for tomorrow suppose to be good.
We find Fox Glacier really pretty. Wished we were here yesterday but are thankful at least we managed to be here today and continue to Wanaka tomorrow as scheduled .

Regards
Mei
meitan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Nov 9th, 2018, 12:59 AM
  #9
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
Mei, I'm glad to hear you made it to Fox Glacier township. Have a safe and relaxing journey and enjoy Wanaka!
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 9th, 2018, 05:48 AM
  #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 14,582
Good news Mei - perhaps you'll be back one day to see Fox Glacier more thoroughly. Safe travels.
Melnq8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 9th, 2018, 04:29 PM
  #11
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
Mei. In your other posts you mentioned you have two older people in your group with knee problems who have trouble with hills and walking far.. While in Wanaka, when and if the clouds clear, drive up to Rippon Winery. It's only about a 7 minute drive from the center of town. The view is great and not much walking is required (but you'll need some clear sky to appreciate the views). I just checked Wanaka's webcam and it seems the weather is going back and forth between blue sky and clouds,
https://www.rippon.co.nz/
The winery's open from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The address is 246 Wanaka-Mt Aspiring Rd, Wanaka. You don't have to do a tasting to go up and see its views.
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 10th, 2018, 01:36 AM
  #12
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 15
Hi Mel & Diamantina,
Today's weather is perfect. We managed to see the reflection of Mount Cook on Lake Matheson and we could see the panaroma of Fox Glacier from a view point close to Lake Matheson.
We enjoyed the drive from Fox Glacier to Wanaka. The landscape is really spectacular.
Diamantina, we plan to visit the Rippon winery tomorrow if the clouds clear. Thanks

Regards,
Mei
meitan is online now  
Reply With Quote
Nov 10th, 2018, 04:34 AM
  #13
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,690
So glad you had a wonderful day!
Diamantina is offline  
Reply With Quote
Nov 10th, 2018, 11:02 AM
  #14
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 14,582
Good weather on the West Coast! Bonus!
Melnq8 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 



Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


FODOR'S VIDEO

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:57 AM.